Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Is it normal for reclaimed sites to be full of forges? This place seems to be full of empty rooms, statues and forges. At least I can melt down some anvils if I don't find iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I have learnt some valuable lessons while building the water drain for my current fort's farm. Lessons that cost the lives of dwarves, but that's what happens.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

If I assign more wheelbarrows to stockpiles than I actually have, will they be distributed sensibly or will I have to micromanage it? I think I'd prefer if I could just build wheelbarrows and the dwarves would use them for whatever.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

What does it mean if a dwarf's name is blinking?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh cool, my starting miners are legendary, then.

A weredeer just showed up and I have no idea how to deal with it. None of my dwarves are trained in combat.

EDIT: It moves fast and quickly killed one of my miners.

EDIT2: And now my other legendary miner.

The weredeer is also dead, but I'm not sure how. The report just says my expedition leader punched it, bruising the fat, and then it's apparently dead.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 12, 2016

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh wait, the second death was just a regular miner. I still have one of my legendary ones.

I don't even have iron. The only ore I've found is galena and sphalerite. I guess I'll make some silver weapons.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

If that weredeer bit anyone during this rampage, they might turn next month, so lock everyone who is listed as being bitten in the combat logs up, preferably isolated from each other

How exactly do I do that? It's not something I've tried doing before.

I mostly just found the phrase "interrupted by a expedition leader" amusing.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oh, just forbidden doors?

Thanks for the tip.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I had another weredeer outbreak. They were all in the hospital, but I was unable to lock them in on account of a door not having been built yet.

I've lost over 20 dwarves to weredeer.

On the bright side no one left alive seems to have major injuries, so hopefully no one was bitten.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The new hit comedy: 20 Necromancers and a Baby.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

What happens if you try to start a fortress in a world with no dwarven civilization?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYS-kNvgXR8

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Worldgen took less than a minute :stare:

For some reason I set my world age to 250. It slowed down a lot after around year 140.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When I dig out an area for a stockpile, what's the easiest way to clear out the rocks?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

When attacked, do I have to set up a military or are the dwarves capable of grabbing a weapon from a stockpile to defend themselves with?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

You will need to designate a military squad which you can "activate" from memory, they will grab their equipment then and fight.

I figured out the squads menu and told my dwarves to kill the human corpses that had invaded my fort.

The human corpses killed all my dwarves.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Maduo posted:

I skipped the tutorial so apologies if this is covered there but is there a button or key I can hold down when building walls/ceilings to assign all of one resource to it like in the ASCII version? None of the obvious ones seem to work and I don't want to click 100 times to set up a ceiling.

When mining, there's a button to open advanced settings and then one of the advanced settings is to auto-mine veins.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Some cave alligators made it into my fort and had to be killed. Now their corpses are just lying there and no one is taking them to the corpse stockpile I set up outside.

They did however put the dead monster slayers in the corpse stockpile, rather than burying them in the tombs I set up.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

nielsm posted:

This is true, either I'm misremembering something, or you can no longer get meat and stuff from combat kills/mangled corpses.
I've also had a ton of loose teeth lying around on the ground, and it seemed nobody would use them for crafting.

I don't even want to make stuff out of it, I just want it to not be where everyone is walking past.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

emdash posted:

I must be missing something about burial. I have a coffin in a stockpile and a corpse in a separate stockpile. I have a tomb zone designated. No dwarf seems to want to do anything with either coffin or corpse. Any tips? The wiki has some stuff that doesn't seemingly apply to graphical DF.

Coffins have to be placed manually. Build -> Furniture -> Coffin.

Speaking of burials, do engraved slabs need to be designated in some way or is it enough to place it somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

will dwarves navigate around minecart tracks safely or should I make sure minecart paths are entirely separate to prevent horrible minecart accidents

Minecart tracks seem to automatically be marked low traffic areas.