Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

KillHour posted:

I really hope that we see performances that are considered vulgar or just unappealing, but then slowly become normal and accepted over generations.

Urists With Attitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My fortresses usually have some terrible, ad-hoc designs where everything feels like an ant tunnel, then I carve out giant caverns and give my nobles normal houses underground, I'll usually try to give them their own kitchens, stills, and food stockpiles. It sends a clear message to the commondwarfs that noble blood is important and cannot be bought.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I managed to generate a world where one dwarfen civilization is ruled by a dwarf necromancer king, and the other is ruled by a night groom of evil or something. These people were made king in the first decade of the world and have ruled since, the necromancer king even established a tower while being king.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Wouldn't a ballista with metal-tipped bolts placed at the other end of the bridge pulp almost anything you could face?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't care about pathing because I'm not an obsessive. Your fortress should look like a huge shanty town anyway.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When I'm plopping rooms down I don't think, "How easy would this be for my dwarfs to navigate." I'm thinking, "I hope it takes 12 hours for a dwarf to walk down this solid gold hallway filled with solid gold statues to go work in the dirt farming mushrooms."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The game has never lagged for me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I stop the hosed up hedonist deathmatch club that my inn has evolved into?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I scheduled my militia to patrol around my hallways and to stay stationed in my tavern and when it worked I felt like how Sun Tzu must've.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I assume he means the masterwork presets, which I know nothing about only that they exist.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Carve some fortifications and use him for siege and crossbow training.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Urist's Crossbow Training

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Isn't there some way to make caravans come from the cavern layer?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That sounds like the end of 300

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you kill someone shortly after they drink you should get alcohol.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You could make it fall down a pit and the butcher would get its corpse.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It's also probably something you can set in the ethics by allowing the butchering of sentients and citizens, but that will also turn your dwarfs cannibalistic.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Let the Dwarf die from hammering for not fulfilling the fort's needs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The caravan in Autumn is from your home civ and always guaranteed to come and I don't think they'll ever send a siege after you. The only real way to get dangerous enemies in an island fort might be digging down to the caverns and fighting forgotten beasts.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why would dwarfs need a ceiling that high?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just want to have fun by starting the best tavern in the world and causing a huge ongoing drunken riot or building a huge trap hallway like in the game Evil Genius

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
A giant magma chamber you throw bales of weed in to hot box your fort, this "Purple Haze" ain't miasma!!!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Read a DF lp using a tileset?

No ASCII, No Waysi

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After years of playing this for fres, it's finally time to give Toady money

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Last time I played DF was 2020 and I had been playing for like 8 years before that, is there any important new stuff that got put out with the steam release?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is there a guide to set up a patrol route for my militia or guard without having them patrol with the whole squad 24/7? I'm tired of snatchers just being able to make it into my fortress and wanna automate them getting hacked to death with axes. My original expedition leader was even made baron and immediately killed by an intruder while the outpost liason was still there lmao

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I haven't had snatchers yet but is there any functional reason a pasture with 30-50 feral dogs set up at the front door wouldn't prevent or at least alert on 100% of attempted sneaky invasions so that my militia can train 24/7 like god intended

i always see people talking about patrols or chained war beasts and I never know how much is still valid advice and how much is just old-version workarounds

I just like making my militia dwarfs fight people. I guess I could set their barracks up in the fort entrance

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

hailthefish posted:

Yeah the purpose of coins is a) dwarven minecart shotgun b) melt exploit (unless it was patched) and c) roleplaying

I think coins might have a crazy value modifier on them or something because I minted a bunch and the value was like 2-3x that of the base metal

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also I figured out patrols, theyre actually pretty intuitive

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Have the requirements for wagon accessibility been changed? I have a 3x3 path from map edge to my depot but traders both never arrive from the closest map edge and only bring pack animals

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Gnoman posted:

The first few caravans don't use wagons - you have to prove you're worth sending that many goods to.

Is there a way to track that? I'm at 100 pop and ~200k wealth

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I always just have dwarfs wear a mail shirt and helm, I think that covers every area with at least one layer of metal and I've always liked having huge militias so I'm never wanting for any replacement dwarfs

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think there's some calculation where they don't like giving you loads of stuff for a low amount of high value items, unless they are very high value

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is there a way to check depot accesibility like you could before the steam release? The lack of wagons is really bugging me and I'm thinking it might be everything coming from a weird map edge that's not wide enough or something

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My volcano fort has run into the problem all my volcano forts do, it's too easy to be successful.... I think I'll do a tundra/frozen ocean fort and try hunting whales or something cool

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Flavahbeast posted:

The cave swallow men got in one last strike, a flock of ~50 flew in and slaughtered some of the construction team as I sealed them out of my caverns for good

Not a huge deal, but it's a little unfortunate to lose the sword guy (and the precious dwarf children of course)

a lot of my biggest bird killers are no longer able to serve in the military full-time, I let one Legendary Axedwarf go to Haggard and he obliterated three other dwarfs during a tantrum with his insanely strong punches. Now if anyone is Stressed or at max red face level (unhappiness? idk what you call those faces) I take them off duty entirely and put them to work making bone crafts, rock crafts or other boondoggle, they bounce back a whole lot faster than with sparring.

I'm guessing either A) crafting relieves way more stress than sparring, B) there's some base stress generated with being on duty or C) being on duty and sparring can trigger bad thoughts about violent traumas, all of my dwarfs that were going crazy had frequent traumatic memories associated with being attacked/injured

I always keep my military dwarfs always on duty so they get the "didn't feel anything at (x thought)" thoughts

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dont think fungus grows on smoothed stone so you can use that to stop tower caps and poo poo from just spontaneous blocking hallways off

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
lmao I invariably always forget to make a food stockpile in my taven until a few years in. Well I remembered and the straight edge tavern is now covered in puddles of beer, blood, and vomit like Armok intended. Anyway a bunch of random people keep dying of dehydration, but it's never considered a crime, is this the sign of a vampire?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I thought they fixed people being overserved at taverns, shitloads of people are dying of alcohol poisoning in my fort :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Can you still expose a farm plot to the open air to make it count as an aboveground plot and floor it off?