Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can't wait for the new release to come out and the massive mod rush and tinkering to happen. I wonder what the next Giant Mosquito will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So why is everyone stuck in the bronze era (sans crossbows) except dwarves.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

In all the games of DF I've played I've never seen a cavern without any fungus. Maybe its related to world generation? I'm not sure how but if you generated a really small world it might be possible for a species to be eliminated early in generation and thus never show up. I have no idea if that is possible, probably not but I'm just throwing out random explanations.

Sometimes you get a no water/mud only caverns through all three layers.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Is Genesis any good?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh. I heard stuff about Masterwork being controversial in the Bay community. Is it because it promotes modding stagnation or something?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's quite fun to make your own dungeons in Fortress Mode and explore them in Adventure Mode. Use the DFhack Lair command first though.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

canepazzo posted:

At the moment trying out with the Essential mod which seems a refinement of Modest, anyone have any experience with it?

I personally like it. Recently Deon's been getting script happy with Putnam's syndrome hacks in Apolcaypse and Genesis, so it's nice to play a version of the game that gives the basic DF experience and doesn't have an aneurysm every 5 minutes. It's faster too since no more retarded giant/men animals.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why don't you just set all of them to masons and just build something silly.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm more interested at seeing how well this translates over to the modding scene. I primarily play Deon's Genesis and Apocalypse mods, so I'm anticipating how it turns out.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
ONE tree can give you like 50 logs. What the gently caress.
The new dialogue tree is the most labyrinthine and complex menu yet.
SMELLS HAVE BEEN ADDED. Now you can enter your retired fort and take in the wonderful aromas!

amuayse fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 8, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Apparently magic items have been added.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Being able to reclaim gamegenned forts that were abandoned by dorfs is loving rad.

There's also a giant spiral staircase that goes down for multiple z levels in the middle.

The main floor.

Workshop floor

Bedroom floor?
I'm still exploring this thing...

OH HO! What's at the bottom at that huge stairwell?

MAGMA SMELTER WORKS!!!

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 8, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why is everyone so depressed and suicidal? Half the townspeople I talk to tell me to kill or rescue someone and then they kill themselves.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Not now! Apparently skulls are no longer made out of tissue paper and has been upgraded to cardboard!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Met posted:

What's the difference between "No Quarter" and "Lethal"?
Lethal keeps going until your opponent is either dead or incapacitated/yielded. No quarter kills everything.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish I could find iron

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Humans Among Us posted:

My fort is being attacked by treehuggers. How do i tell my nonstop training military dwarves to go outside and give these freaking hippies what-for?

Everybody is just throwing parties at the well while these proud elven heroes murdered a baby...

Tell them to stop training in their training room or set them in their schedule to not train? If worst comes to worst , you can always disband the squad and make it over from scratch.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Humans Among Us posted:

plump farms underground
Oh poo poo man, make some pots or bad things will happen.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

my dad posted:

By means of adventurer migrants, yes.
Or you could be a bit hacky and use the embarkanywhere tool on a vault. Then just collapse the tower onto all the guards and loot the rest.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wait so adamantine and steel got buffed?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, how do I locate my quest targets in adventure mode?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Alright, but now everyone is running away from me and screaming or go into a murderous frenzy and start to kill their friends.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
While I do like DFHack, I do not like how some of their more major mods relies on it as an essential feature. It's about as stable as playing an unpatched Bethesda game on a console practically.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Shibawanko posted:

The stock game really needs conveyor belts. I'm picturing one of those cartoon industrial machines where cages get emptied on a belt and the occupants get smashed, halved, cooked and maybe even canned or dumped into a shaft at the end. A mature fort really needs some kind of automated PoW processing facility and the standard mass pitting shaft isn't fun enough.

You can sorta do this with artificial rivers, but I agree, it's not the same.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Michaellaneous posted:

Masterwork Weapons are just ridiculous. My legendary weaponsmith just shits out masterwork iron battleaxes, and as soon as the caravan comes it's basically "80000 value? Yeah take two of my weapons bins, I take everything, now piss off."

I personally use ammunition for the same purpose. I think it's more efficient and the best way to train weaponsmithing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Prop Wash posted:

To continue the line of thought from earlier, I recommend bringing a good Gem Setter mostly because it takes a very long time to train and you'd have to set up a glass industry if you didn't want to burn through all your gems on training. Or you could gamble on immigrants, I normally get a good jeweler within the first few waves.
You can just get your gem setter to train by decorating random stuff with finely cut microcline and mudstone.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Merchants for some reason REALLY hate wildlife.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Pitting through use of zones is usually easier but caging doesn't require a shaft and is easier to time.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I know merchants attack prisoners you are hauling.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My grampa said that his engineering career consisted of a lot of autocad and liquor.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How bad exactly is the "unclothed" unhappy thought? I've had a dwarf wearing only a sock on his left foot and a jabberer-blood covered battleaxe for almost a year, and he's still ridiculously happy from dining rooms and waterfalls

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I miss the bizarre Frazetta-esque fashion style of tattered clothing and mismatched armor in 0.31.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone here play DF without a numpad?

How?

I used to play Dwarf Fortress with only a tileset and nothing else.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You got any burrows enabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I haven't played in a while and I gave it a shot.
The discipline system is kinda strange imho, but it is kind of cool at the same time. I laughed when my militia commander stood horrified over his comrade's corpse during funeral detail, but the local miner with no discipline just picked up the body and walked off while the militia commander was frozen on the spot.