Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

While reading http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~ekalnay/pubs/handy-paper-for-submission-2.pdf "A Minimal Model for Human-Nature Interaction" which talks about societal collapse scenarios, I laughed when it reminded me so much of DF. I thought the thread might get a kick out of the model since it seems very applicable to DF's world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I downloaded the masterwork mod, how do I actually *run* it on linux?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Where are you all getting this Warlock dungeon mode? My default version of Masterwork only starts out with dwarves, I think (at least I didn't get to choose what race to play) and the Warlock manual pages can't be found. Do I need to install a third patch on top of this thing (the first two being dfhack and Masterwork)?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Apoffys posted:

Yeah, you choose what races are playable in the Masterwork GUI ("Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.exe") before generating a world, then you pick a race when embarking if I recall correctly.

Also, you don't need to install DFHack on top of Masterwork, it's included. Masterwork is a complete package, you don't need to add anything to it.

The newest version of MW is 5.0.7, which you can find here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0

Edit: Also there are manuals (I don't know how good they are, but they exist) for all the races. They're in the Masterwork folder as .html-files.

I have the .exe but I'm on linux, and using the linux download which included all these windows .exes.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I apologize if I sound like a broken record:

I am playing DF Masterwork in linux. I generate a world (using one of the presets, the Gaia world). I go to embark in fort mode- how do I choose my race? It's always just the default Dwarven race. I can see the other races, it says I'm at war with Warlocks, but I want to play as the warlocks. I can't figure out when "select which race you want to play as" occurs. It's always just the default of dwarves.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Zurai posted:

Did you set the civilization you wanted to play to playable in the Masterwork launcher? It's the second or third tab IIRC, has a big grid of red Xs and green check marks. You want the second column to be a green checkmark for whichever race you want to play. I recommend only enabling one race as playable at a time and just generating a new world if you want to play a different race, it makes it easier to figure out which civ is the race you want to play.

The only masterwork launcher I can see is the Windows/DOS executable that came with the linux download (I'm using linux). I have not seen anyway to get this "launcher" under linux. I don't think it has been ported. There are only some scripts that start up DF with DFHack and other utilities enabled.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nah, none spawned at that point. It's just this occasional vomit wave when I start brewing. Everyone seems happy enough, they just get all pukey sometimes.

Might be cave adaptation. Does it happen near your entrances? Did you recently build some skylights in the dining hall?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Elth posted:

I thought being the last of the dwarves was pretty badass, but I've never had a world where humans, elves, goblins and dwarves were all gone. I wonder if retired forts will send liaisons and caravans if they're designated as the mountainhomes, and have a king/queen. Will the caravan only contain stuff available in that fort or will it just spawn what caravans usually come with? Will a retired fort eventually send it's whole population to your active fort or will it keep enough dwarves around to have babies and repopulate the world? I want The Age of the Dwarf to happen.

This has been asked several times but I would love to learn a definitive answer. That would be so neat if true- the player can personally reboot a dead civ as they please, jump starting it through the creation of a primary mountainhome and then having it dynamically grow and spread in the subsequent decades. Although that may run in to the bug where the very first invaders to approach a retired fort (or any other civ entity) automatically win.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Paving roads can be pretty fun but do caravans or migrant waves respect them at all? I recall making some totally sweet roads through a beautiful canyon one time, only to have the caravan spawn randomly elsewhere and totally ignore my work. :pout:

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I laughed at the Mantis bug tracker that shows 4+ year old bugs being fixed. Literally stuff reported in 2010 is now being addressed.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
:it is wonderful:

:it is overdue:

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Also horrendous lag when generating worlds and passing time in the calendar, resulting in an inability to make or use worlds larger than Small without massive lag.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How long does it take for a beekeeper dwarf to put some drat bees into my dang hives? They've been sitting there outside for a year! And several dwarves have beekeeping. I just have to wait for a wild hive to spawn, then they'll automatically grab it?

Also, how do I use nest boxes and pastures? Always put nest boxes inside pastures? Are nest boxes necessary to get my meal-birds breeding?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Not sure how long it takes, the right kind of bees have to spawn. I haven't done it in a while because honey production is dumb. The hives need to be outside above ground, are your hives outside?

Make sure you have exactly one (1) beekeeper though. Unless it has been fixed, all beekeepers will go after the same beejob and then they all stand there being dumb until they are exhausted and hungry. One beekeeper can easily manage 30 hives, it isn't an intensive job.

Why is honey production dumb? You need jugs, which will each be filled with a single unit of Royal Jelly or honey, and the cook hates usinging royal jelly (unless fixed now?) so you wind up with a stockpile full of royal jelly jugs and you constantly need to make more jugs in order to keep processing honey. You also get a wax honeycomb, which you have to process at a screw press, resulting in a single unit of honey and single glob of wax. A single unit of honey can be made into a single unit of mead, which is no more valuable or desirable than the cheapest of drinks. You now have an almost worthless glob of wax worth 1 dwarfbuck (the same as the cheapest stone), if you have a wax worker you can craft it into an almost worthless craft to sell. If mead was valuable it might be worth it, but it is one of the very cheapest drinks. If wax could be made into unique crafts like valuable candles or something that would be great, but you just get dumb worthless wax figurines. If Royal Jelly had medicinal properties or was valuable that could be good, but it is simply one of the cheapest meal ingredients and since it is in single units it leads to tiny stacks of meals when the cooks use it. The system is kind of cool, but the end products are all worthless.

On the other hand, egg production is fantastic. I like turkeys the best. They lay 10-14 eggs at a go, and can be butchered for 9 meat. You can build your nest boxes anywhere, as soon as eggs are laid someone will snatch them and put them in a food stockpile. Eggs won't be eaten raw, they need to be cooked, so it is helpful if you have a small stockpile that accepts eggs right next to the kitchen, and disallow eggs from more distant food stockpiles.

If you actually want to breed birds it is a bit more complicated and kind of pointless. The easiest way is to carve out a room with a door, make the room a pasture, and pasture the birds you want to breed inside. You'll need 1 nest box for each female. You need at least one male to get fertile eggs. Once your breeding stock is inside the room, lock the door or dwarfs will keep stealing the eggs. Now wait and wait and wait some more. They hatched, yay! Okay, unlock the door. Now build a cage and lock all the baby birds inside, because they are useless for like a year and will just tank your frame rate. When they finally grow up you can slaughter all the useless males for meat (you could kill them as babies, but since you don't need to feed them there is no harm in leaving them in a cage until they grow more meat). I've never actually timed it, but from when you lock away your breeders until you finally get more mature egg layers seems to take years. You are honestly much better off just buying new females whenever you want them, as both human and dwarven caravans bring them often.

Basically the only reason to breed your own is if you have acquired something rare and exotic. If you have a pair of tame cave crocodiles it is well worth the trouble to breed them. Chickens, not so much.

I really wish Toady would iron out stuff like this even though it isnt one specific bug that can be easily tracked and solved. This sort of ultra extreme micromanagement is really irritating because it takes a feature (bee keeping, and bird breeding) and wrecks it.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Jewel posted:

I'm glad toady uses visual studio and not some pitch-black vim console setup or something crazy.

Something that would indicate he is a good programmer?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

A human heart posted:

Is it possible to get the divine metals into fort mode?

It would be a pretty amazing gameplay mechanic for it to be intentional that the player should occaisionally retire a fort, use an adventurer to personally kill a demon/loot a vault/get a couple stacks of divine metal bars, and then bring them to the fort, then unretire the fort to be able to craft badass stuff. That type of back-and-forth would really raise DF to a whole new even crazier level.

Is that actually possible now or are there too many bugs, such as the high chance that your fort will get conquered during retirement?

Edit: And now that adventurer's have personalities, it would be great if we could micromanage that. Then a person could build a town using retired adventurer's whose personalities were customized. One of those things that lets true micromanagers go absolutely nuts, and the rest of us can just admire huge Minecraft style works of madness. Someone could recreate a movie by stocking a designed village with specific personalities and seeing what happens. Dwarf Machinema.

reading fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 1, 2014

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

A few months. The previous version was released on the 14th of February and its final bugfix on the 4th of June. I'm not sure where in all that the most crippling bugs were fixed, though, or even if there were many crippling bugs.

Does Toady care at all about the everyone-is-scared-of-their-shadow bug, or the bug that conquering armies always win? Hasn't he not even acknowledged those bugs? I'm worried he considers them "working as intended."

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

Build your roads out of skulls and your walls from meat and sinew and skin.

Meat fortress

:iit:

Currently in my .40.05 fort, I settled inside a Troll Leather hut that I found in the arctic. There is a nearby Troll Fur building as well. By this I mean the walls and ceiling are built out of Troll Leather and Troll Fur, respectively, so this apparently happens all over the world naturally.

As well as infinite campfires in the frozen wastelands.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does it make sense to build my butcher workshop right in my meeting hall, to horrify and desensitize my dwarves?

This sounds like a restaurant that will be built in the future - you watch the animals get butchered in the center of the restaurant.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

my dad posted:

Check for creatures stuck in inaccessible 1 tile sized holes.

Isn't the only way to check for this to mine out the whole map? Because they get strewn all over the 3D volume?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Does temperature no longer kill units with cold? I settled in an arctic environment, hoping to freeze siegers/forgotten beasts to death, but I just had a werecougar turn in to a naked human and run across the map, covered only in slime, cat blood, and snow. But they didn't get any temperature problems. I have temperature turned on.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I hate so much how dwarves constantly cancel tasks or suspend furniture constructions, and never resume them. I check back in 30 minutes later to see how my bedrooms are coming along, only to found out I have to manually go through and un-suspend everything because a naked mole dog ran past a stockpile 20 min ago and caused 15 dwarves to cancel all their tasks.

Is this part of the "job prioritization" arc that Toady mentions is coming up? Dwarves will perform their drat tasks better?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I wonder if the "64 bit experiment" that he mentioned will unclusterfrack a lot of bugs...like maybe there was a problem with a 32 bit buffer being filled from all the junk he tries to store during world gen, etc. I'll be curious to find out what changes and what he learns from that experiment.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

FUUUUCK DAAAAAMN SPURTIN

Exactly what kinds of things were being made out of gems? I thought they could only be used to encrust furniture and finished goods.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

ProfessorGroove posted:

I like that idea that's come up about a LP where the world instead of a single fortress is passed around. One person could start a fortress and the next person could continue it, retire it and start a new one, play adventurer mode or whatever. It'd be showing off one the big new features of this version and if you gave each person a week to do whatever they wanted you probably wouldn't have the problem of people not being able to update because they'd know if they would have the time right then rather than playing an in game year in which it's real time length can greatly vary. It'd be the first of it's kind too so if you started it no one would have anything to compare it to!

This is why I hope Toady puts out a quick stop-gap fix to the bug where conquerers always win, resulting in near certainty of a retired fort getting wiped out as time goes on. Maybe he could just hard code a percentage chance for the siegers to lose. But someone pointed out that might mess other stuff up if he doesn't have the code available to handle a loss by the conquerers.

Or, it could be a goal of this LP world for some people to occasionally make an adventurer and personally assassinate the troublesome conqueror.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I notice my dogs almost never breed. I really really want to return to the days of dozens of war dogs. What's the deal, are dogs and cats just naturally way less reproductive than they used to be? I used to get kittens and puppies in the first two years, now my dogs and cats go for years without any offspring.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Haifisch posted:

You have to make a zone for animal training now(press i, make your zone, then hit t to make it a training zone); it's not done at the kennel anymore. Then you select which animals to train from the animals list on the stocks screen.

Is the kennel useless now?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What exactly is the process for upgrading an install of DF to a new version, while keeping saved games and edited raws? Do I just manually copy over the old save game file and the old raws into the new install directory and overwrite?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

One Weird Trick to Appease Armok and fix Your FPS!

What do all the symbols (C, H, S) on the left vertical mean? Cavern, HFS, "S"...?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What's the best way to train a new doctor/nurse? I have a doctor who I gave skills to on embark, including the teaching skill, as was recommended in this thread, but if I enable all the healthcare abilities on a newbie nurse then what prevents the nurse from attempting and loving up stuff? Or does the game automatically have the skilled Dr teacher do things and somehow the nurse learns?

I'd like to have a medical staff of more than just one chief Dr.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Throw dwarves down a few z levels.

But when does the Dr to whom I've given the teaching ability actually teach? I've seen the military teach, is it like that?

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I recently embarked in a no-trees, sand and rocks desert. I was hoping to hit an underground cavern and get some wood there, but when I pierced it it has trees but is completely flooded. I've been digging deeper hoping to hit the other caverns but I haven't found any. Then my miner stopped on a block of "molten stone" although I never got the message that the miner has hit "warm stone". What's going on?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Literally Kermit posted:

Molten stone is the lowest parts of the magma sea, so you just were extraordinarily unlucky and managed to avoid two cavern levels and all that magma. Go up a few levels and CAREFULLY dig around to see if you can find some of that sweet magma, clear out a floor above, channel a few holes and build a magma glass furnace and use all that sand to deck things out in green glass furniture decorated in green glass gems! :eng101:

Seriously, magma glassworks are great because it's unlimited material, gives your jewelers steady work, allows you to make magma safe (last I checked) parts for screw pumps so you can share your wealth with the upstairs neighbors, and can outfit your fort with mass produced traps. Serrated glass discs can gently caress up a goblins weekend, especially ten of them all at once.

Awesome thanks for the advice. What's a good way to do something like puncture a ceiling-hole into a sea without killing my miner? If I want to drain the cavern.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
How does one free a dwarf from a cage? One of my dwarves fell in to a cage trap during a tantrum I think.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I have been unable to get a fort past 25 dwarves, because forgotten beasts keep destroying my population (and my fort). Part of the problem may be that I use the cavern extensively and so have access to it.

How are you folks dealing with forgotten beasts? By year 2 I only have 7-12 dwarves and only a couple soldiers who usually suck, and not very good armor/weapons, and a forgotten beast (or two or three) comes and just obliterates any militia I send after them.

I need some good advice on how to deal with threats from the cavern. For threats from the surface I just build a block wall and have some sealed doors, I'm not worried about that. I haven't been able to get a fort past 30 dwarves yet before everyone gets killed or a tantrum spiral starts.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I really wish frostbite was implemented and working because my arctic tundra forts were totally unable to wait out the invading goblins or were creatures, even the naked ones. They never felt any ill effects from milling around outside naked.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Is there any way to make my dwarves practice climbing? I never see it happen in fort mode. I had a miner dwarf stay at the bottom of the pit s/he had mined out, from soil, which should have been climbable but they didn't even try.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I added new toys in the toys raw, but they never ever show up. What's the deal?

I did name one of them figurine, but I think the game already has figurines hard coded as a craft. Is that messing it up? My new food items get used.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What's up with this request from a strange mood dwarf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Way to go, Beatrix Kiddo