Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe that may mean that the necromancer in the tower is not hostile to you at the moment. It is possible to encounter goblin civs, for example, who are not hostile initially, as seen in that picture.

Edit: Actually I'm blind, the goblins are hostile to you there but you can find non-hostile ones, or at least I have.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Economic cycle charts, as far as I can tell. Charting the overall strength of the economy (which is a rough approximation of productivity) as well as contributors (such as worker pool availability).

Dwarf fortress would, obviously, function similarly to reality in some ways, as it has consumer classes, a producer class, and all sorts of fun spanners to throw in the works.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 15, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Things will swim through fortifications.

If you're just talking about using magma as fuel then just use floodgates to seal your lava off from the rest of the magma sea. The lava level never gets depleted or used and I don't think there are any building destroyer lava creatures. If there are they are rare because I haven't ever seen any. On that note all the fire creatures in the magma I've seen act like regular wildlife, in that they can theoretically path into your fort but they seem content to just flit about in the lava for the most part.

Embarking near volcanoes is great because you can just tap into the side of it at the surface and you don't have to muck about with making huge pump stacks. Things can swim up the volcano from the sea still but I think I've maybe lost a total of one dwarf to a stray fireball shot from a fire elemental while said dwarf was tossing some trash away near the caldera.

Another benefit is you can build your entrance over the volcano with a pair of drawbridges leading to a central plaza, attach the plaza to a ceiling by means of four supports, and if the fortress is threatened, drop the entire thing into the volcano.

You can also try pumping a river up and flooding it to shove things off into the volcano/boil them with steam but last time I tried that it bugged out and I ended up filling half the vent with obsidian all the way down to the magma sea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

The only way I've found to manage encrusting items with gems is to give the gem setter no other options. Otherwise they'll grab all kinds of random furniture. It's kind of pain to micro-manage gem setting, but now I have some beautiful doors which, in addition to providing happy thoughts, tell a good portion of my fort's history in gem mosaics.

..also the doors depict jaguars killing people. My dwarves are nuts over giant jaguars and their exploits for reasons unknown to me.

Check whoever made the doors, or whoever encrusted them, it may be that some of your artists are fond of giant jaguars so they will make lots of pictures of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neurion posted:

Just make sure your 3x3 stairwell doesn't extend all the way into the caverns, unless you build walls around it to keep out unwanted visitors. If a hostile appears anywhere in the stairwell, all your dwarves will refuse to use the stairs out of fear. So either have a defended hallway leading into the caverns, or have multiple redundant stairwells!

I generally use a big central stair (or ramp, if I'm feeling concerned for dwarven safety/want to put the caravans further in) way for the fort, but I dig a secondary smaller stairway to the caverns, usually on the other side of a little cave with fortification towers and a bridge over a big pit.

The first dozen Z levels are basically safe in my head, but need to be defended from above and below.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

I just had an injured miner disappear without leaving a corpse. I don't recall people being rescued ever disappearing from the role. Also, I didn't see anyone rescue her. And I cannot engrave a memorial, so I gather she is not dead.

Weird. Maybe she fell out of the world?

Is it possible you've just misplaced her? I've never had anything like that happen before, does she appear for room or nobility assignments? Try making her the manager and then locating the manager if so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does anyone else actually bury their dead dwarves? For every dwarf that dies, I channel a 1-tile space outside, dump their corpse in, pave it over and put a marker down. The result is that, by the time I start getting serious sieges and whatnot, I have a pretty nifty dorf graveyard.

That's actually a quite neat idea and I may have to start doing that.

Bonus points: Dig a big room full of pillars and pile a bunch of mangled corpses into shafts covered in stone grates. Get sieged by a necromancer. Recreate the ending to The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

So, I just googled this, hoping it was some crazy Cacame-like story.

Instead it was some pedophile modding DF to allow raping children to death. :gonk:

What?

Sorry, apart from the obvious what the gently caress, that... isn't a mechanic in DF. As in dwarf-dwarf interaction in any real sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

CaptainDuck's Dwarf Fortress tutorials on Youtube got me started within a few hours if you can get past his (awesome) accent. Once you have the fort building basics down, you can experiment with everything else.

Using dwarf therapist is also basically required, people may use 'spreadsheet simulator' to describe annoyingly fiddly games, but DF doesn't even do you the grace of providing a spreadsheet by default. A spreadsheet would be an improvement over DF's interface.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaand true to Toady style, a new release right out of the blue, raise your hand if you saw it coming:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_38_01_win.zip

A vile force of darkness appears!

> V

'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'
'Troll'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also probably check out the list of civs in legend mode which will probably state who they are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

You forgot the :siren:s

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Curses!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roflex posted:

My (fortress) map has cherry trees and in early summer the flowers are falling off the trees and coating the ground.

(It's all the white "puffs" around the map)

Goddammit with climbing and this, I now want to rebuild loving Nijo Castle or something, planting artistic cherry trees all over the place and having goblins climb over everything to get in.

Shogun Fortress 2014: Total War

scamtank posted:

I finally figured out how to perform a string dump and I'm seeing vaguely interesting things. Dyeing and cooking now have their very own "has dyed/cooked a masterpiece!" announcements. Bagging quarry bush leaves has been uprooted (:haw:) and there's a new reaction for it that shows off the new ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT system. The old job titles for the farmer's workshop jobs aren't where they used to be in the .exe.

Here are the new status lines that'll appear below the creature's name:

Overcome by terror!
In emotional shock!
Overwhelmed by horror!
Experiencing mortal fear!
Beside (pronoun) with grief!
Wallowing in sadness!
Emotionally overloaded!

I think it says a lot about dwarf fortress that it needs to distinguish between terror, shock, horror, and mortal fear.

Shibawanko posted:

I wish giant sponges had some kind of use if you manage to trap one, obviously by (sustainably) harvesting portable sized bits off them for use in hygiene, infuriating the sponge and injuring its pride.
You know full well that would only result in the severed pride sailing off in an arc, being reanimated by a passing necromancer, and attacking your soapmaker.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 8, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

So did anyone get hit by dwarven raiders/bandits yet or did I just find something new?

Well, presumably, the world activation means that invaders will actually draw from members of neighboring civs.

So if the goblins near you have a bunch of integrated dwarves, you will probably get dwarves coming on goblin raids.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zurai posted:

Traps that are triggered automatically can only be triggered by creatures flagged as hostile to your fortress (invaders, berserk dwarves, etc). Dwarves can still be caught up in the results of the traps, and there are creatures like gremlins that can stealth and pull levers to set off traps unexpectedly, but generally speaking it's pretty safe to trap your main entrance.

Actually I think the trigger is whether the creature is aware of the trap.

Because some creatures can sense traps and avoid them, also if you turn a civ hostile, if they have previously visited your fortress, any traps that you built prior to them becoming hostile, will not work on them (because you told the diplomat about them so he/she could get in). Additionally, if a creature becomes unable to avoid a trap due to unconsciousness or immobilization, the trap will trigger on them.

Traps don't have IFF, your dwarves just avoid them normally. Which is an important distinction because it means every single dwarf in your fortress is a legendary ballet dancer due to regularly passing through your heavily trapped entranceway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

This world I generated has a kobold hamlet. :stare:

As in, a small village of kobolds, or a singular kobold who has been taking cues from Shakespeare?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

That sounds kinda disappointing.

It's a first release, DF initial releases are always really buggy, toady releases a big thing then spends a while fixing it with public bug reports.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also as far as I can tell, all that seems to be doing is converting kepresses from their hex codes to a plain text description of the key. I am not really sure why.

So it's a bit like someone saying 'Pass me that quince' and then the person picks up the fruit, goes through the whole rigamarole to figure out what it is, and then announces 'It is a quince!' and then stands there not doing anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pixaal posted:

Text should not be this entertaining. Why can't games with amazing 3D graphics make me feel this way? Why can't I establish an emotional connection to my characters in other games?

I would posit that the format by which DF displays information encourages investment in the story, because you need investment to go searching for the information.

Essentially, DF story is a mystery, a mystery where you are presented with the effects (dwarf doing something exceptional) and then have the option of going through the files to figure out why.

It also presents everything somewhat distantly, so you fill in the details yourself.

Essentially if you like the less is more approach to writing, DF is almost ideal, as it presents a lot of information if you look for it, but always dispassionately.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It always puts me in mind of when I read At the Mountains of Madness for the first time, I'd never read anything that really hooked me so much from the start, and the whole book was a slow, methodical exploration of why the main character was acting the way he was. There was a lot of information given, but you have to make a lot of the connections yourself, and the pace is so slow that you will often be trying to figure it out yourself even for the things you're told later in the book.

That style really works for me and is probably why Lovecraft is my favorite author, DF and good DF LPs make a lot of use of that and it's very appealing to, I would assume, quite a lot of people who play it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

It did say his throat exploded into a pulp of gore or something. I think I shouldn't have used 10 masterwork training spears in each trap with my untrained dwarves.

I like to imagine that masterwork training weapons are essentially Miyamoto Musashi levels of lethal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that one too because it fits the deadpan tone I always read it in.

Also it looks more like the ghost from iiam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:iit: :iia:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

You spent 50 dollars. Whether this is a mistake or not is entirely up to you.

$30?

And I do not believe it was a mistake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously he was the real adventurer and you were the NPC.

Dwarf Fortress: A game about NPC character who are infinitely more badass than your character will ever be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always turn off the economy as I have no idea how it works and it sounds lame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

scamtank posted:

Did they, really? Wasn't that just us taking the piss out of Bay12 without even looking?

Don't worry, the last time that option did anything was in 2008.

I did wonder if it had been removed or something as the newer masterwork doesn't seem to include it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember reading that years ago. It was pretty awesome, still is, actually.

And yeah, waking up to find an angry elf has been watching you sleep must be a bit trying on the old expedition leader.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Iny posted:

I'm not super experienced here, but are rocks really something you need to embark with? I was rather under the impression that most areas don't exactly have a shortage of them, so in practice you get ∞ pots for the cost of 0 embark points.

I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

I actually do bring a big heap of stone with me because it's nice to get an early start on a walled courtyard before you get underground.

But if you're at the point where you need pots, yeah I'm not sure if you need to worry about embark efficiency, just refill the old ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also, presumably, build an overhanging ceiling. Unless they can shimmy across those too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

Can't seem to find a place to put it. The raws say it uses [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CLAW:CLAW_TEMPLATE], which is my best clue, but I don't want to muck about with every other clawed being and suddenly have every beast in the world grow opposeable thumbs.

And I'd love to give them happiness strings and motivations, but I've really never read code before so this is all new to me.

Presumably you could find out where the claw template is defined, and make a copy, call it "claw_graspable", add the grasp tag to it, then modify the dragon file to use your new claw type.

Said with all the experience who has never looked at a df raw file in his life, of course.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

wrangling your particular collective of bearded cats.

Note to self: add new creature, functions identically to normal cat only with beard. Look forward to "fine cat beard cloth dress" showing up in fortress.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 20, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But the only thing to mine at surface level is dirt, which is just dead trees?

What sort of dwarf would want to bother with pit mining? Why would you want to let sunlight into a perfectly good mine?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ability to heal is actually dictated by a stat, I think, as is resistance to disease and such. Maybe he just had really good stats?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dwarf Fortress 2014: I frequently get 'uneasy', surrounded by humans or groups of varying races.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

Didn't keep that world.

I just punched a falcon so hard that it smacked straight into the ground and died.

Game of the Year.

Did you shout "falcon punch!" while you did so?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never watched a horde of dwarves desperately try to run from/punch a horrible mass of animated blood twisted into the form of an animal to death as they all get slaughtered because it breathes nerve gas in the elder scrolls, while the makes up about 90% of my dorfing experience, the other 10% being setting the entire fortress on fire with magma. I'm not sure where the crossover would lie.

Edit: Other than in the character emoting system, of course. :sterv: It is Terrifying.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 23, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that why all ranged weapons are bizzarely lethal when loaded with even common bolts?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Roads also, I believe, help curtail the spread of surface contaminants, I generally pave around my wells so as to stop dorfs just washing all their encrusted filth onto my dining room floor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the advanced world generator has an option to let you reuse the previous set of parameters, including the geography seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

According to the wiki, you can export the relevant info here, and you would presumably be able to modify any params you wish.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Importing_and_exporting_worlds

Last time I played DF I used perfectworlddf which allows you to make embarks like that with much greater frequency by upping the number of volcanoes to a huge amount.