Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

On a random world I found a river and volcano just out of reach of the embark square from each other. I have r6 pick one if the other due to the slight distance apart.

My question is, how do I expand beyond my chosen embarkation location? I really want to get to that volcano. I checked the map and there's no magma anywhere on my map that I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

My fortress keeps dehydrating to death.
I had set up some clean water sources and designated them, but I think the distance was an issue since we dug so deep.

My main problem is the drat still! I'll have a designated worker and after a while they just gently caress off and never come back. Is it a seed storage issue?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Is there an easy way to share our whole fortress layout as a png(s) or something? It would be cool to get a rotatable model of the whole thing.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

mst4k posted:

Did you have a well?

I had three stills going at once and still couldn’t keep up with need. It turned out my seeds were in a barrel inside a bag and I guess they’d been storing them there but not taking them out so my farms weren’t really going.

I’m also moving my farming like 10 levels deep because it’s already muddy from an unfortunate flood involving me switching the wrong lever. I guess the clay or whatever soil sucks now because it’s listed as “bad” and I’ve never fertilized.

I did, my zones were set up as well. Ultimately I ended up searching out a schema of what options were specifically supposed to be checked with a singular resource pen for the still and that ended up fixing it (after a hard reset to make sure no other labor was being done with plants) .

My latest issue is just trying to figure out how to make these damned musical instruments! Specifically Taguz rings! I can make the rings themselves in the carpenters workshop, but I can't find where to build the other pieces.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I just had my first insane experience and it was incredible, writeup to follow.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Scene I: Brush Titan Newara
The dwarven fortress of Standardabbey was established in 104, and in the year of 106 my 99 dwarves met their first megabeast.

Picture it, a beautiful day by the river. Dwarves were picking berries, some were cutting trees in the distance, and some of the children were playing in the pasture with all the precious animals in our care. Yes by all accounts Standardabbey was thriving, and more and more bards were asking for residency. Perhaps that’s why Newara came to our fortress? Newara, properly known as Brush Titan Newara, was a gigantic bee whose entire body was composed of white jade. Despite its twisting jointed trunk it still had a regal bearing to it. Legends state explicitly to watch out for Newara’s poisonous sting.

The dwarves were caught completely unaware. In the initial moments Newara killed numerous animals and 4 children. The only dwarves on the scene witnessed the horrific event and jumped into the fray: Zas the diagnostician, Ducin Ilidlolok the fisherdwarf, Bembul the trapper, and Insane Zutthan Bardumolo the butcher. Please note that Zutthan went insane well before witnessing the 4 children die horrifically at the hands of a white jade bee kaiju. The remaining militia rallied and smashed Newara’s jade body to pieces with warhammers. With only 12 deaths we considered this a solemn but glorious victory, and Newara’s remains were left outside as a warning to any who would try to conquer Standardabbey fortress.

Scene II: The Mountain Titan Arak Rodemdurad Thistunkurel
"It has a deep well of patience, a good kinesthetic sense, willpower, a good memory, and an ability to read emotion fairly well; in fact Arak finds helping others very emotionally rewarding. So rewarding in fact that it's known that Arak can easily fall in love or develop positive sentiments. It is graceful when others help it out and Arak tries to return favors. Arak is also notoriously slow to trust others. Perhaps it's inborn stubbornness is why it doesn't find most jokes humorous. Despite Arak being an empath, Arak has meager social abilities and little creativity; fun fact, Arak is so bad with music that this titan is rumored to have no rhythm at all! How embarassing!

It will forever be a mystery as to why Arak showed up. Mountain Titan Arak has the form of a great one eyed buffalo, with three long hanging tails. When looking at Arak, you can see it moves deliberately. It’s flaxen hair is short and even, most likely singed as Arak is constantly spewing fire from its maw. Whereas Newara stayed above ground to fight, Arak bullrushed straight into the fortress.

Arak noticing we have stairs in our house… and that we are not protected

Immediately my squad, high off of memories of victory against Newara, crash against Mountain Titan Arak with gusto. For their reward, they were met with exceedingly painful deaths as Arak mounted their terrified flesh and just went apeshit. It wasn’t enough to physically mangle their bodies, Arak went further and made sure to vomit torrents of flame across everything and everyone in order to erase them from all history. The squad was immediately wiped. It was at this point the nobles realized Standardabbey’s life expectancy could possibly be measured in hours at best.

Here's a quick progression of Arak’s mighty works on only two levels; first three are a growth pattern, and then another level nearing the end of its inferno:

More dwarves were conscripted, more dwarves died. Atmospheric rivers of smoke clouded the hall, blood soaked the floor and mutilated bodies were scattered everywhere.

When Arak really decided to get into the swing of things, it finally settled on first universalist temple that was created. Arak desecrated the temple and all it represented; this was of keen interest to the scholars hiding in the monotheistic temples, and believe me they took the time to debate amongst themselves what this could mean for the religious meta. That's when Arak caught a whiff of the brewery. Mountain Titan Arak, teetotaler, in an abstinence driven rage stumbled into the open dining hall and slew everyone eating Plumplebee's in a torrent of fire, it then broke through the doors to the attached inn and killed everyone in the room with fireballs. The ones who were only lightly toasted were then hunted down and savagely beaten to death in their burning hostel. Not content with its kill tally, it entered Standardabbeys famed minimalist inspired farmers guild hall. Immediately 5 died. Then more died, and more after that. The last dwarf standing, simply named Endok, wouldn't let the fear paralyze him. He was going to get to safety and that was all there was to it. He juked left, he juked right, he then juked directly into Araks open hands. As Arak clawed Endok to pieces and finally settled on top of his mangled torso for a break, it couldn't shake the pissed off feeling that was growing due to the amount of smoke churning in the air above. "It's that damned inn!" Arak must of thought, as he returned back to the taverns side room and starting burning what little he missed before. Afterwards he charged across to the opposite side of the hall and torched the newly unstaffed hospital. At this point all that was left of the population were a few of my own dwarves who were hiding, and a whole lot of bards who decided to go on tour at the wrong time.

Scene III: Exit Stage Left

"oh boy, I sure hope there's some employment behind this door!"

Sakzul Ringcult, bard, had an interview at the hospital. When She opened the doors she expected to maybe drop off a poorly written resume, say a few words, and then hopefully start her new career in nursing like so many others. Truth be told she was hoping to be a nepotism hire, after all she and the doctor certainly shared a great ancestor at some point in time right? As Sakzul opened the doors to the lobby, the first thing she saw was Arak running over the charred remains of her distant kin as they lay immolating in their beds. He's hauling rear end across the northern rim of the wall, dragging his blood frenzied rear end across the smoke filled room as Arak lunges for the door to reach her. Sakszul, absolutely terrified, runs as fast as dwarvishly possible and manages to destroy her 100m sprint record. During her celebratory victory lap around the remains of the fortress she stumbles past the burned brewery & universalist temple, gets lost in the smoke and heat haze, and then finally is ground into paste by Arak.

It was at this moment the debate between the monotheists reached its peak. In their endless sophic quest they failed to take heed of their volume and were quickly sent straight to dwarf hell via Arak. Arak's multi-temple purge lasted quite a while, long enough in fact for the final three guest scholars to buckle down in the temple of Mishos and silently pray to be spared.

Ultimately they too met a deeply tragic end and their bodies were torn to shreds, their altars reduced to charred rubble.

Epilogue: Edu the last human bard
"I was attacked! I'm panicking!I'm panicking!"

Edu was the last guest to die in Standardabbey. He walked amongst the remains of the fortress for only a short time. He didn't think about his 2 lovers or 5 children in his final moments. He didn't even think about his upcoming 37th birthday or how he was supposed to play in the temple that night in front of dozens and dozens of patrons. Edu, lost in a haze of terror, didn't even see his doom in his exhausted stupor. He never saw the Mountain Titan Arak Rodemdurad Thistunkurelstep lurch out of the burning remains of the manufactorium.

----

And that is the end of my first fortress. I have no idea how many tags are allowed per profile, but I'll gladly take one if you can shove it in with my current ones. If not it's not a big deal.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 13, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Started an expedition in the frozen tundra. Before I could even strike the earth my 7 dwarves were attacked by a zombie polar bear. No one survived :sweden:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Alright, I've got a few thousand food, plants, and etc in stash, but for some reason I just cannot brew anything. I've plenty of barrels and pots, so I'm not sure what's going on?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Welp, went from 140 population to 12, then to 30 as I got an immediate migration. Thanks Forgotten Beast!

For the brewing, I've been using this setup listed under dining areas, leading to 3x stockpiles.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

How many diagnol squares are needed to alleviate built up water pressure?
I dumped a river into an underground reservoir and am just wondering how to safely tap it for some wells that won't overflow that are sitting on top of it by one z level.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 13, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Thanks for the information btw everyone, it's helped tremendously.

Here's a story I wrote about 12 fortresses ago (so last week):
---
My 200 pop fortress was brought down to 10 due to a wereiguana apocalypse. On the one hand I'm glad to have some fps again, but on the other all 8x of my brand new migrant dwarves are extremely pissed and not doing anything I'd like them to do, such as burying the mountain of corpses strewn throughout the levels.

I also made sure to evict the last two dwarves who survived the prior fortress attack as they were probably corrupted from the encounter. Naturally one of them fell into my pond while they were Bruce Bannering their rear end out of my lands. After a few minutes he promptly transformed, was restored to 100% health, and then he discovered he was stuck.

I ended up abandoning the fortress later on for a few reasons, but I like to think that specific dwarf is still stuck in that pit, forever doomed to ride to the cusp of death until they inevitably transform again and heal all wounds.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I didn't realize that you had to smooth the stone at the edge of the map and install arrow slits in order for water to drain off the map, I thought you just had to dig to the edge. Anyway my massive aquaduct system began to backflow at such a rapid pace that I had to abandon the region.

I'm super curious if the ruin will still be flooded when I return at a later date.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

So I saw there's a way to create poo poo tons of energy via water wheels, but uh, what do you spend that energy on?

Also I want a necromancer to join my fortress that sounds rad.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Really hoping that patch drops soon. I had some serious death visit my fortress and I was hoping the fps would increase going from 104 to 26 people, but it feels even slower than before.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Lost another fortress. I survived 8 Forgotten Beasts but the 9th webspitting one ended everything. It reduced my entire population to just my necromancer (who was locked in the library) and a Dwarven child.

The kid later died, and to top it off no one is emigrating to my tomb/fortress. Now the when place is filling with ghosts and intelligent undead who aren't helping at all.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I have a necromancer who is starting to get sad.
His can I force this guy to chillax?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Jyrraeth posted:

I've been putting my crabbiest dwarves into a squad set to constantly train but the squad does not have a location to train. The members will instead take care of their needs because their tasks are blocked by squad. It's been working so far.

Should I also set them to do only assigned tasks in the labor tab (while making sure no tasks are checkboxed)?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I got really tired of werebeasts so I started a game without them, only to be met with forgotten beasts pretty early on. I was actually doing super well with my fort so I figured I'd just kill the damned thing via DFHack. Then I kept on doing it cause I was constantly busy with something else and of course they'd come when my military is out raiding.

I've exterminated at least 20 forgotten beasts now.
Honestly I would have figured the game would have taken a break by now with these damned things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Also I see quite a few strongholds with a population of four thousand (+) on my map.

Is it even possible to fight these civs without immediately being overwhelmed by a siege the following month?