Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I'm torn on whether I want to buy it honestly. I could never really stick with the game and I dunno how much of that is the interface and how much is just that it isn't really a game as much as a simulator you can play with.

I could never get the military to work so I ended up spending a lot of time just walled up, digging out places for the sake of it.

I dunno, I feel like it would be hard to go back to dwarf fortress having played a lot of rimworld and gotten very attached to the far more refined game aspect.

Wait a bit and look at some Let's Play, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I'd love a gangtag too!

I tried to play the ASCII game once around 10 years ago, so I'm starting from scratch more or less. I chose an embark site in a happy place, no wildlife, no goblins around.

There is a nice little river and a magnificent waterfall. At least 5 tiles wide and 10 level deep. Immediately, I decide I'll do something wise and build a complicated (for me) entrance, with a slope several levels deep leading to a drawbridge in front of the water so that everyone can be cleansed by the mists before they enter the fort. Deep below (but still above water) there also will be a splendid dining hall opening directly behind the waterfall for the enjoyment of the dwarves.
Alas, I am a fool.

First, it was the tamed rabbit that fell in the waterfall. I don't even know why.
Then, the couple of dogs after being punched in several places by red pandas. They died instantly.
Not much later, the dwarve placing stone grate in the dining hall fell too. He was unconscious and drowning, so I tried to do something to rescue him.
While the dwarves were digging towards their friend, a cat fell but didn't suffer any injury (why?). Then the dwarves finished digging and flooded the dormitory level I had the great idea to place far below ground to insulate it from the noises, because in my hurry I didn't notice I was digging below the underground river and not above it...

I think I'll stop there for today, and will probably avoid playing around water that early with the next embark.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 9, 2022

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Dante posted:

What's the current status of the steam version? Has DFhack and the nice QoL tools been made to work with it yet? Worth waiting on anything else before starting a new fortress?

DFHack is on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660/DFHack__Dwarf_Fortress_Modding_Engine/