Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

did everyone start playing dwarf fort again this month or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if I want to try Masterwork, are there some default options I should turn off or are they all good? or all they all bad

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

99,570 cubic meters? that's a big dwarf

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TildeATH posted:

Whoops, wrong thread, though a nice Battletech mod of DF would be awesome.

close enough

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Grundma posted:

I always played fortress mode, but with the new version I thought I'd take a shot at adventurer mode:

:stare:
hail tzeentch

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

How are people having these great adventures in adventure mode? I wandered down a dwarven tunnel-road, recruited a macedwarf, resurfaced on the other side of a mountain range with no bearings on the night creature I was hunting and tried to sate my growing hunger by killing the first thing I saw (a weasel) only to have my adventurer slice it into a nearby pond like a furry golf ball which I then drowned while trying to retrieve so I could eat it.

It sounds like you've gotten the hang of it :confused:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Malcolm posted:

With advances in consumer hardware, I foresee a line drawn in the sand between games that are 64-bit/multithreaded, and those that are not. When 64GB RAM and 16-core CPUs are the norm, I think 32-bit single thread applications will really suffer. Don't get me wrong I love Dwarf Fortress, but even commercial games are failing to adapt to the new environment and will eventually become unplayable outside of DOSbox-style emulators for obsolete Windows versions.

I think the reverse is happening, single thread performance is the most important metric if I'm buying a CPU because multithreading is so often underutilized

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

you can't have every body part take the full force of the impact, that's not how it works!!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm robbing the gently caress out of these tombs and nothing is happening. No mummies, no curses, nothing. I am tossing around peasant skeletons and spitting on poo poo and nothing is happening

yeah the paris catacombs are bullshit

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fyad is empty, just like me

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

this isn't just paprika, it's reanimated paprika

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

do silver war hammers not pulp good?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think that's based off a story of a famous ambush in china. as night is starting to fall, an army on the march comes across a tree with an inscription on it. they call on their general, Pang Juan, who comes up to it, and due to the failing light asks for someone to light a torch so they could make out what was written. by not so outrageous coincidence, a bunch of hidden archers in the distance were given instructions "when you see a torch light up around this spot, fire"; they eviscerate poor Pang the moment his torch is lit. alternatively, the lighting of the torch is the sign for a larger ambush, which eviscerates the entire army and Pang commit suicide under the tree to avoid capture.

the written inscription was “Pang Juan will die under this tree"

"wth why are we stopped"

"uhh one of the trees has writing on it but its too dark to read and none of us has a torch, we thought we should ask you about it"

"for gently caress's sake"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thats cool

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flesh Forge posted:

General FYI one of the more developed DF knockoffs, Oddworld, just did a pretty big update that includes (among many other things) fluid simulation, so there's at least one other game where you can dig out a giant underground colony and then drop an ocean on it

Odd Realm?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

15 years of singlethread CPU being the only spec I look at while pc shopping because of this game

I just assume most games I want to play will be badly optimized for multithreading

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is genuinely wonderful news

Guys, what if. .. what if DF goes . . . . mainstream?

toady should add competitive multiplayer with a mmr ladder

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think you can safely ignore minecarts but I havent actually played in a long time

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Popete posted:

Not a 1.0 release!

oh, is this a early access game?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Can someone please post that collection of insane and hilarious df patch notes, the stuff like babies riding their mothers like horses etc

https://harpers.org/archive/2016/11/elf-governance/

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

lol, the second tantrum of the fort

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

lol, the second tantrum of the fort

update: witnesses including the queen accused the child of attacking the dog but not of any other crimes, the king's corpse was dumped in a refuse pile instead of the tomb I assigned him

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

;-*

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my first cavern layer is filling with hostile bird people from a nearby Cave Swallow Man civilization faster than I can kill them. They don't try to invade but instead they hang out at the edges of the map in huge numbers and they'll swoop in to instantly murder any civilian or dog they see. They have a lot of steel spears so even heavily armed axelords can get isolated and overwhelmed in the hosed up cavern pathing. I've sealed the caverns and carved archer nests into the stalactites to make a cool shooting gallery

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know what happened but after years and years of complete peace, a hill titan showed up so I sealed up the entrance to my fort, it stuck around until migrants came then it ate 6 of them and left the map. So I unsealed my entrance and memorialized/buried the missing migrants. Then a hammerdwarf showed up to steal my legendary cup. I sent my militia after him and they completely annihilated him but while they were gone a huge brawl broke out in my tavern and a bunch of people died. While I was looking at that trying to figure out what happened, Goblin Snatchers showed up and tried to abduct all the children in the fort. I sent my militia after them and they easily dispatched them, but again while they were busy a huge brawl broke out in the tavern and a bunch of dwarves died.

How do I figure out what caused tavern brawls to start?

The tavern dudes were probably part of the goblin thief's civilization, I've had a couple big massacres in my tavern when an agent of a neighbor civilization tried to sneak in to grab an artifact and went hostile and some "tavern guests" sided with the thief

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cavern invasions can get pretty nuts right now yea, in my case the invaders from bird country never leave their entrance point so I can't beat them defensively, I have to send my dwarfs to painstakingly purge bird hell if I want to use the caverns for anything, and more bird men just keep coming

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A couple things I realized and/or remembered about the game after playing the steam release for a while:

- Dwarves for some reason seem to train worse if you manually click the 'train' button, if a squad is assigned to a barracks but left to their own devices (with or without training in their schedule) they'll do the advanced training stuff like sparring and demonstrations which work a lot better and make them happier. Supposedly squad size also makes a difference here, with smaller training squads being better

- Don't go crazy trying to fix a badly traumatized dwarf, just send them back. You'll probably get more. By the same token, if a single dwarf with no useful skills arrives with six young children you don't want them, why did they even come to a haunted glacier

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nielsm posted:

This is the "expel" button, can be used to kick any permanent resident out.

Also, parents will take their children with them but orphaned children can not be expelled, another good reason to kick out dwarfs with a lot of children as soon as they arrive. Even unarmed, a berserk teenage dwarf can be shockingly deadly

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

You CAN sort the list either alphabetically, or by profession.

The regular unit list yes, the squad assignment list no (I don't think? If there is a way I don't see it.) I've begun tagging my dwarfs with their military role so it's easier to find them and put them in squads

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

:catdrugs:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A visiting baron got killed by a mountain titan and dropped the symbol of his barony, a artifact short sword:

I assigned it to one of my swords dwarfs but I noticed a couple years later he wasn't using it at training, it turns out that barony has a new baroness and she collected it while visiting one of my temples :mad:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

A visiting baron got killed by a mountain titan and dropped the symbol of his barony, a artifact short sword:

I assigned it to one of my swords dwarfs but I noticed a couple years later he wasn't using it at training, it turns out that barony has a new baroness and she collected it while visiting one of my temples :mad:

update: on a later visit she's run into a enemy siege force while trying to leave

:madmax:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

This is the king, Urvad

His father, the previous king, lived in my fort and was killed by a tantruming child. Prince Urvad was living elsewhere when his father died and he isn't joining my fort for some reason, though my fort remains the capital. Urvad visits the fort sometimes and crawls around for a while. He has an old untreated leg injury so he cannot walk, and since he's not part of my fort he doesn't get access to my crutches or doctors. Sorry buddy

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

yeah I forgot that setting workshops to produce clothes when # clothes falls below a certain level doesn't work, because ragged clothes normally don't get used up they just get discarded so they're still "available" but unusable, so a bunch of my dwarfs are traumatized from the fort running out of clothes for a while

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

My military reached a critical mass where I could comfortably clear out the hundreds of bird people infesting the cavern. My surviving mildwarfs are now much stronger but also miserable from all the bird death and miasma, hopefully they acclimate well to civilian life for a while!