Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is there any disadvantage to disabling aquifers besides not getting to build awesome water-powered machines? I'd like to generate a world where I have more than a dozen viable (and reasonable safe) embark locations. Can I use rivers/streams for said machines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I was just "visited" by a Marsh Titan, and I spent like 10 minutes getting everything set up for a bloodbath. All my alerts were set, the drawbridge was ready to be raised, and I set my archers and swordsdwarves to the forefront.

The beast started Farmpocalypse by kicking a peachick into a tree, followed by hurling a water buffalo at a nanny goat. It killed several more barnyard animals before my archers decided to rush headlong at the beast rather than shoot them (I didn't realize they didn't have ammo). And I was expecting the worst.

Of course, Urist McCrossbow bashed off both of its legs and its lower torso in three successive strikes, before my swordsdwarves even got there. :shepface:

I guess being made out of salt doesn't make you a hardy titan.
Oh well, back to work...

I experienced a very similar scenario. My marksdwarves were getting into position when the marsh titan entered my sally port. Since traps don't affect titans, I was getting ready for an intense, close-quarters battle. One idiot left something he couldn't live without outside of my fort, and was casually strolling down my trapped corridor to go out and get it. As he passed the titan, he walks up it, kills it with a single butt with his crossbow, and goes off on his merry way.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is it just me, or does the UI in 40.05 for OSX seem sluggish? The game itself seems fine - I'm getting between 90 and 100 FPS in my new embark. The interface itself doesn't feel as snappy as 34.11. There's a very slight, but noticeable lag in any kind of input (scrolling the map, interacting with any menu, etc).

Maybe it's the fact that I'm using Ironhand. Come to think of it, when I played a bit of the initial 40.X release (which was purely vanilla), I don't recall the interface feeling any less responsive than 34.11.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Dashticle posted:

Am I supposed to be in a certain directory when running it? If not is there anything else I'm missing you think, bearing in mind I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

Try running:

code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Once those finish, try that apt-get install again (don't forget sudo). If that doesn't work, you may be missing the necessary repo in your apt config.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

TheCIASentMe posted:

You could retire your fort, look at legends, then resume playing your fort.

That does run the risk of having your fort conquered in the time between retiring it and starting it up again.

It's probably safer to make a copy of your save. Go to your data/save directory and make a full (recursive in OSX/Linux) copy of the directory, naming it something like regionX_legends.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

A forgotten beast set my underground farm on fire, and now half of the place is covered with infertile ash. Will that problem correct itself with time, or do I need to do something about it?

You might want to try irrigating the ash tiles.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Irrigation

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

my dad posted:

Not for mining, but picks are ridiculously lethal, and with a good pick, miners can murder the poo poo out of most cavern inhabitants.

Or each other! I learned that fact during my last tantrum outbreak.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Gus Hobbleton posted:

When you make a stockpile, you can customize it by highlighting it with the q cursor, and pressing s for settings. Stone is one of the broad categories there, with non-economic as one of its subcategories. Enabling that will make it only hold stone that is not used for other stuff. To make wheelbarrows, you can order them at a carpenter's shop. Highlight your stone stockpile with the q cursor again and one of its settings will be max wheelbarrows. Make sure it's anything but 0 and a wheelbarrow will be assigned to the stockpile and used to haul stone to it. For a guaranteed smart-dwarf operation, also press g to give to a workshop, highlight your masonry drop, and press enter. You can do this for as many masonry shops as you want. This will make sure that those masonry shops ONLY take from that stockpile, and never from a pile of stones half way across the fortress. The downside is that if that stockpile is ever empty (due to not having enough haulers or something), the masonry shops will never be able to produce anything. It's a good way to control materials and whatnot though.

This is an especially good strategy for cutting blocks to build walls, fortifications, floors, etc.

Do wheelbarrows still limit hauling bandwidth? I find that when I use wheelbarrows, my dwarves stop hauling stone to the stockpile by hand. I haven't formally measured the difference, but it actually seems faster to disable wheelbarrows from the stone stockpile and let a large group of dwarves hand-carry all the stone to it (assuming I have the manpower). If I keep hauling enabled for everyone, I can usually fill a 4x4 or 5x5 stockpile in a single hauling trip.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Is there a summary available of these major upcoming improvements? I haven't been keeping up with the thread. All I've picked up is some hauling improvements. (and queued designations? Did I read that right?)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Since we're talking about tilesets, I've noticed something odd in the Mac version of 40.24 (with the almost-current version of MacNewbie). Certain tilesets seems to slow the game down. Obsidian is the worst. When I install it, there's a noticeable delay in the main menu, and the game is too slow to play. Phoebus is better, but gameplay is still slower than normal. Running it with Spacefox or Ironhand makes the game play similarly to 34.11. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do to mitigate it?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Nietzschean posted:

Hmm. I might have to try out Ironhand or go back to adorable Spacefox. I cannot imagine why this would be.

It's strange. I forgot to mention that FPS seems to hover around 100 with each set (at least that I've observed offhand).

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

scamtank posted:

No, but that's why goblins like bringing trolls. They have a tag named [BUILDINGDESTROYER], ponder on its meaning for a second.

Nobody can break down solid walls, though. Talc boulders or balsa logs, constructions are impenetrable.

Don't some megabeasts inflict fire damage that requires constructions & fortifications to be built from magma-safe materials?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've got elves that I'm trading with, and I've got a couple barrels full of food that I wanna sell to them. I know I can't offer the barrels themselves, since they'll get all prissy about it and throw a fit, so how do I designate just the food itself? Unlike with a bin, the food in the barrel isn't listed separately on the trade screen.

Is there a way to manually transfer the food to rock pots before taking them to the depot?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

neogeo0823 posted:

I really should start making more rock pots. I've got a shortage of wood(loving loafs won't go haul it back to the stockpile fast enough. :argh:) and a huge surplus of rock from digging out a ton of housing recently.

Hmm, I wonder if rock pots are subject to barrel restrictions. In other words, if you limit the barrels at a food stockpile, does that also affect rock pots? I can't find any information about it anywhere.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
My newish (1.5yr, 90 citizen) fort was struck by a nasty werehorse attack. Now nobody wants to do anything. I can't get anyone to haul corpses or get my miners to dig me out a space for a hospital or to put coffins. I can't even get my masons to build coffins. Most dwarves are standing around doing nothing. A few are still doing hauling labors, but the others are drinking or sleeping.

It's only been about 1 or 2 months since the attack. Do I just need to give them more time?

I'm running 40.24.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
If you use DFHack, you can quick-save in fortress mode with Ctrl+Alt+S.

It uses the game's built-in seasonal save feature, so it sadly doesn't work in adventurer mode.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Tars Tarkas posted:

I wish there was some sort of counselor job that would help them get over traumatic memories and would give them someone to complain to besides the mayor when they are stress spiraling. Sometimes I just want to live in peace and not be invaded by so many armies I'm still picking up body parts before the next one arrives (or two arrive at the same time and fight each other!)

Like some kind of dwarf therapist?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
How do I safely build a cistern one level or more below the surface level of the river providing the water?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Siljmonster posted:

you got dwarves poopin?

For some reason the sick ones need water or they'll die.

Anyway - thanks all. I'll give a shot an hopefully not flood my fort.

In other news, a dark goblin pit is now linked to my fort economically and "looks to me for its future prosperity"? Are we friends now? Should I invite them over for dinner?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

halp

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

scamtank posted:

they export terror and import retribution

surely you can serve this emerging market

Time to start a beak dog industry :black101:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I don't think you get the hole if you chop the tree before digging the layer under it.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I still get herbalists that get stuck in trees. If I leave them there they eventually die. So in that way, they are still death traps.

The worst is when a stuck tree dwarf gets in a mood because it craters my FPS.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Facebook Aunt posted:

Usually chopping down the tree will get them out without much injury. So then it's just like any other stuck, where the main problem is noticing them before they starve to death.

There's a dfhack plugin that alerts you when any dwarf or livestock is starving or thirsty. Very handy when I forget to pasture my animals.

The real solution to dwarves in trees is to chop down all the trees :black101:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

reignofevil posted:

One option is to start at the surface and direct your dwarf to channel down one tile at a time but this can be quite dangerous to the dwarf especially if you forget and he starves in the shaft.

Your dwarf will probably climb out after a while.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Zereth posted:

I think making a chimney like that CAN prevent miasma, though, if you put the garbage dump directly under the chimney, since then it'll be considered "outside" and rot using outside conditions, thus not generating miasma. I forget if there's a way to make people autodump garbage so you only need one square exposed.

EDIT: Actually does miasma go up Z-levels? I vaguely remember it not doing that, so if it doesn't just "drop it down a hole one z-level to a place with a locked door" would be good enough.

You can create a quantum stock pile garbage dump. Just remember that if the stockpile is on "outdoor" tiles, you'll need to enable outdoor refuse handling in the standing orders menu (o). Otherwise they will take stuff to the stockpile but won't put stuff in the QSP minecart. And your chimney will need to be larger than 1x1 (idk 1x3 is probably the minimum).

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
:gizz:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
It is better to make a bunch of diety specific temples or can I get by with a general temple?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
One thing I really love about this game is that a dwarf can get irreparable PTSD from getting caught in the rain.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Starred a new adventurer and I have a loving war grizzly to ride around. This game has it all.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Tias posted:

Quick questions for someone stumped by new updates:

How do I pick fruit again? I remember succeeding at some point, but I need to designate something besides having a ladder, right?

What's an altar good for?

Why do suddenly get dehydration warnings? And from a dwarf that has access to alcohol and water no less?

1. You need an activity zone designated as a "gathering zone". Dwarves with the Herbalist labor will collect fruit and plants from the ground and from trees if you have stepladders.

2. I don't think it's good for anything in Fortress mode at the moment.

3. You may have a dwarf stuck somewhere, someone who is super stressed, or a failed strange mood. What are your thirsty dwarves doing? Do they have a "Thirsty" tag on their wounds list?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Casey Finnigan posted:

I do have another question - is there any consequence for theft in adventure mode? I found a peaceful human camp once and stole all their crap in front of them, and they didn't seem to mind.

I think theft in Adventurer mode only counts if the item is surrounded with $dollar signs$. Which I've only seen in shops and trade depots. Not sure what happens if you take those items and get caught, but if you take items not tagged that way I don't think anyone cares.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I thought most of us were 7 or under here?? (I'm 6)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I hope Toady one day makes it possible to meet all of one's needs in Adventurer mode. Still not sure how to "take it easy".

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

GorfZaplen posted:

Buy a beer and press the . key repeatedly

Ahh so just like real life then.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Cardiovorax posted:

Supposedly, it's an issue with persistent negative memories piling up and never disappearing, which reduces the base mood of a dwarf further and further the longer they live. Over long games, this can compound to the point where it's just not possible to keep the dwarf happy no matter what they do. There are DFhack scripts that exist specifically to purge those memories, which is technically a bit cheaty, but is kind of justified since it's an unaddressed balance issue more than anything. Use one of those and you will very likely not have that particular problem.

I've found it impossible to kill any goblins because of it. Once a dwarf experiences an emotional shock they start dwelling on stupid poo poo that happened to them in the past and all the sudden they're dead inside because they got caught in the rain five years ago. In my last game I made it for years with nothing but good vibes because I just caged all invaders and released them into the caverns.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Oh poo poo a mini-map I can actually read.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I would like the game to not slow to a crawl after 2-3 in-game years.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'd like a real optimization patch or two myself, but in the mean time, i strongly recommend trying microforts. not only is it better for FPS (there are other factors but creature pathfinding absolutely dwarfs everything else) it's actually really fun to have a small enough number of dwarves that you get to know each of them individually, as it were

What's a good population cap? 20-30ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Appoda posted:

I could see running forts for 10+ years if it were easier to automate tasks and there weren't so many things that need you to do them. Guys if you run out of barrels just make more barrels. That's something I'd like to see in the steam version, too - more automation, or at least a more user-friendly blueprint design.

Automating stuff is generally pretty easy, but the UI could stand a lot of improvement. Barrels are a good automation example - just queue up a job of 10 barrels, select that job on the job manager, press "c" to edit conditions, then "p" and "r" to create conditions around products and reagents. That will tell it to only execute the job if there are 10 logs available and there are no more than 10 barrels. If you select the product condition, you can set the trait to "empty" so it checks for empty barrels. From now on, your carpenter will make 10 barrels whenever your fort has 10 empty barrels or less.

This system doesn't count built furniture as part of your furniture inventory, so it's really easy to make sure you always have enough beds, cabinets, doors, etc.