Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What is the minimum amount of clothes required to not have negative thoughts? Would it just be shirt/trousers/shoes or something? Can you use dresses or robes in place of both the shirts and the trousers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

scamtank posted:

A Steaming Pile of Game

I don't know if you've held off on a thread title for any particular reason scamtank, but I feel like it can't get much better than this

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not sure what would cause fungus to not be present in the caverns. I've never seen that before. You could try digging down to the crypt or abyss but but if the top layer is missing fungus I don't see why they wouldn't be as well.

I see these mud caverns all the time, I just figured they were another type of cavern biome, kinda like how you get the lake caverns that are almost completely water, and the "desert" caverns with the blood thorns.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What was the name of the succession LP that came before bronzestabbed? The one that was set in the evil swamp with the beak dogs? It doesn't seem to be on the lparchive, is there some reason it never got posted there?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
It's been so long since I've reinstalled I can't even remember all my preferences and junk that I've changed or how to get rid of aquifers so I guess I'll just jump right in!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Gilok posted:

I was about to try it out but then I realized it doesn't have tilesets or dwarf therapist or anything yet. I'll let you people try it out for me. someone post tree screenshots.

oh jesus I hadn't even thought of that. I don't know if I can handle ~the ASCII experience~

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
okay so I figure I can probably survive without tilesets for now, but isn't there an option in the init files or something to change to square tiled ASCII? None of this oblong poo poo for me

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
uhhhh what the gently caress

This world is INFESTED with necromancers. There's literally nowhere on the map that's not in range of at least 6 towers

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
My fort mode FPS is hovering around 20 on a fresh 4x4 embark... I guess this is because of all the new active world stuff going on in the background?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
All my embark horses and sheep have run off into the hills and they have the blinking blue exclamation marks that melancholy dwarves have. It says they are "overcome by terror!" :confused:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Roflex posted:

Did you chop a tree down anywhere remotely nearby?

why yes! and it looks like they're getting over it and are starting to wander back :)

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
A passing parakeet woman just spontaneously burst apart by an unknown force (the combat logs only refer to an "impact") and all the dwarves, animals, and other parakeet people who witnessed the event are "overwhelmed by horror." It was enough to make my carpenter cancel the bed he was working on :mad:

So far it looks like creatures may be considerably more emotionally fragile than before. Also the thoughts and preferences pages have tons of new junk

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Troll fur yarn and cloth is now under the stockpile options. I wonder if it's possible to harvest it now?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Also, under silk I see screaming mouths cloth, molten liquid cloth, shadow stuff cloth, coyote demon cloth, pterosaur demon silk, and "rabbit fiend silk cloth" :catstare:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
There's a giant sponge near my embark that's perpetually overcome by terror. It doesn't seem to be having the same effect on my creatures though! It's nice to finally give some back to those things

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Oh my god, so many new seeds.

Seriously, if you're embarking in an area with any vegetation at all, you should bring a proficient herbalist. There's a wonderful cornucopia of new plants to be fermented!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
This release is supposed to fix the issues with quickly fishing and hunting all the wildlife into extinction, right?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Has anyone run into wild animals just randomly dying? They keep just smashing into bits without any outside effect. Flying into trees maybe?

I think they're just crashing into the ground. The combat reports always take me to a bloodstained patch of ground, sometimes without any trees nearby

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So are all these new materials like the silks and metals randomly generated or what? I've had different things listed in the silk stockpiles in different worlds, and now my forge has a bunch of metals with weird "[adjective] metal" names, like "translucent metal" and "flickering metal," but there aren't reactions for making these at the smelter

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
In case anyone's interested, the CLA tileset has already been updated. It's basically a fancier ASCII, with smoother symbols, square tiles, a more pleasing color palette, and most important of all, solid colored ground tiles, for if you're like me and staring into that constellation of punctuation marks drives you insane. Check it out, it looks really good, even if you hate ASCII

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Don't let your merchants get stuck in trees people. Now I've got a berserk caravan yak rampaging across my map.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Has anyone figured out how soil-layer tree farms work yet? I'm assuming they won't grow to full size in a single z-level space, so do you have to channel out two levels to get them to grow?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The new combat speech is hilarious. It's really great how even when they're in the middle of getting the poo poo kicked out of them, my dwarves have time to monologue on how our time is so brief in this world and death is all around us.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't had any invaders yet so I don't know, but from what I've seen the amount of speech in the logs is still nothing compared to the action spam

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The elf caravans are a lot different, all of their wood is preceded by the word "grown," like "grown oaken cage," which makes me wonder if that's kosher elf wood that's okay to trade back to them? Also, they seem to have access to all the tree fruits that are currently uncollectable in fortress mode.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Angela Christine posted:

Aww, looks like kids will be even more useless soon.

He didn't say anything about all dwarves harvesting crops, so presumably they'll still do that.

quote:

Required animal hauling labor for various jobs

I got really excited for a second cause I read this as beasts of burden being implemented, but I guess maybe it refers to pasturing no longer being a laborless job?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Not gonna be easy. What you could do is pasture some chickens or whatever in a room and then lock the doors behind them. That way none of the eggs will be collected from that particular nest. Unlock the door when the chicks hatch so you can butcher anything that needs to be butchered, or just leave them there. As far as I know, birds need no care from dwarves and will just survive forever.

This is how I do it, you just lock them in there for a couple weeks or months or however long it takes for them to fill up the boxes with eggs. Then you manually forbid the eggs you want to hatch, unlock the doors, and it's business as usual. True, it stops food egg gathering for the duration, but it's still the least labor intensive way to handle the breeding, I think.

Birds require no upkeep so you can just keep them locked in there without any worries. Unless you've got something like elk birds, which are grazers, but then you just need to put the room somewhere with grass or fungus.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't done this in a while so I might be remembering it wrong, but I think you have to use the kennel's "tame a small animal job" to tame the vermin, then you can transfer it to a cage or pit it into a room. You might have to be careful though, because I'm pretty sure that cats don't give a gently caress and will still kill your tamed vermin, so keep them out of the spider room.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
What was the appraised value of the artifact?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Why do shirts, coats and cloaks protect the fingers and toes, but not the hands and feet that they're attached to? :psydwarf:

I'm also trying to picture how a toga protects the face, but not a mask, head veil or face veil

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh military, why do you continue to be the roadbump of my fortresses? I'm sick of making drawbridges and turtling up when Sieges start. Is there a way to make my militia train up faster, without needing a Danger Room?

I have this strange suspicion the answer lies in the scheduling screen. I usually set squads to train 8/9 minimum, and while they sometimes spar, more often they wait around and have endless dodging/striking demonstrations.

In my experience, the military is like any other dwarven endeavor in that the best solution is to just throw lots of bodies at it. I think people microsperg way too much about getting their military skills up, and getting all the perfect masterwork equipment, only to be miserably disappointed when their elite crack squad gets totally overwhelmed by war alligators or an impossibly tough and lethal beast, and all that effort goes to waste.

I've always had the most success just mass conscripting every migrant with any military skill at all, putting them all on non-stop, full-time training, and mass producing armor and weapons, no matter how dumpy their quality. While you may lose a few recruits here and there, it's less of a crushing loss, and eventually your best soldiers will rise to the top anyway. And since soldiers seem to spar more when they have higher skill to begin with, it's really just an issue of getting over that initial hump of skillessness, which is best done through real combat!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Never seen this before

It came in on an elven caravan, breaking out of one of their clearly inferior :airquote:grown wood:airquote: cages

I sure hope it only happens with vermin, cause I tend to be pretty negligent with letting lots of caged goblins and trolls pile up

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Goblin recruits don't earn the privilege of wielding a weapon until they've crushed a dwarf skull with their bare hands

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Elth posted:

By the way, you guys should check out the first Slaves to Armok game. It will make you glad that Dwarf Fortress is in ASCII. It'll also make you really eager to see the magic system in Dwarf Fortress.

In Armok 1, you could teleport your own brain 5 feet to the left of your head, with predictable results. You could also choose which limbs to walk with, so you could hop everywhere on two hands and a foot, and then nearly kill yourself fighting a small bush.

World War 1 Medic is a fun little game where you dodge bullets and rescue little pixel men, but most of the time you'll just die over and over.

Liberal Crime Squad is a political RPG where you recruit prostitutes to kidnap and brainwash judges and cut tanks in half with a katana. There was an LP of it on the forum that sadly never got finished.

This video is the extent to which I've checked out Slaves to Armok. I don't think there's magic happening here but who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ARLSii23w8

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I never knew alcohol poisoning was even a thing in the game. Can dwarves die from that or is their threshold impossibly high?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Internet Kraken posted:

The nature of combat in Dwarf Fortress means you can survive with truly bizarre injuries. I once had a fort where a terrible disease was being passed around that caused the victim's skin to rot and fall off. It didn't cause bleeding though, so despite gradually losing all their skin these dwarves didn't suffer any negative effect from it. They were however constantly spewing miasma from their rotting bodies that pissed off everyone nearby.

I thought not having skin caused all your blood to fall out? Isn't that why death by fire always used to cause a "bled to death" notification after melting all the skin off, or did that change at some point in the last few years?

Gantolandon posted:

This is quite similar to what happens in the real life - quite a lot of feral cats die after walking under a car, getting splashed with windscreen washer leaking out and then trying to clean their furs.

:smith:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm finally playing again for the first time in like 2 years. A werelizard showed up at my fort and killed some passing merchants. Then he transformed back into a human, and I got the notification that he had arrived, and he was listed as friendly in the unit screen. But when a bunch of my dwarves went out to pick up the slain merchants' stuff, they saw him, and immediately chased him down and beat him to death with their bare hands, like some kinda dwarven lynch mob. It's an appropriate response, but I was surprised, because the last time I played, civilians were almost perpetually terrified of anything vaguely threatening, and I think they would have either run away or just ignored him. What's changed that allows civilians to go on the offense like this?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Moridin920 posted:

It *can* be but it is a bit fiddly.

The concept though is you set something like drinks to be forever made - when there are SO MANY that it clogs production to a standstill well no problem. You have more than enough. When the dwarves drink the booze and you start getting low again, production picks up.

But yeah toady made it harder to clutter up the workshop recently.

Agreed , the amount of hauling labor that can be saved by stockpiling inside of workshops sometimes makes it a more optimal choice, imo

edit: holy moly, I haven't posted in almost 2 years??? welp, I've reinstalled and I'm back on my Stray Bullpoo poo

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So after I started playing again I lost two forts to werebeasts... Once the infection spreads wide enough, which happens really fast in a crowded fort, it seems so hard to stop it that I just abandoned. Fine, it was kinda my fault for not really setting up defenses early enough.

Now on my third attempt and it turns out I got one of my refugees from the last fort in my first migrant wave, so I don't even know how I was supposed to stop that trojan horse. The guy killed two dwarves and fought with one other, who I have to assume is infected, so I guess I just gotta quarantine these two using burrows or something?

I was surprised that the original werebeast dwarf doesn't even show up in the justice panel though. I guess the fort just doesn't recognize the dwarf as the same entity? It's been awhile, but doesn't the game have an actual justice procedure for convicting vampires and such? It seems like he could've applied the same system to known and suspected werebeasts to make locking them up more streamlined

I also still don't know how I'm gonna deal with future were-refugees. I guess I just gotta quarantine every new migrant wave for a month when they first arrive?