Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have not played this since like 2012 but am going to right after work.

I painted a gigantic mural of one of my best forts back in the day … feels like a lifetime ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

drat all these stories are incredible lol. I picked right back up from 10 years ago pretty easily! Tarn and team really did a fantastic job here, just incredible really…. I mean I totally forgot to make dinner until like 9pm wtf.

I’m going to miss therapist when I hit like 25 dwarfs I imagine. I can’t wait to gently caress with minecarts and poo poo!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

My fort went from 13 dwarves to 130 in the blink of an eye but actually it’s been 12hrs straight jesus christ man

I have a strange mood I can’t resolve I guess oh no!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Arrath posted:

Slapping down an nondenominational airport chapel temple early is also a good move as it lets dwarves take care of their praying needs.

I haven’t played since way before temples and guildhalls and I have one temple for everyone and a few for each other god - do I really need them or not? Everyone seems to like the non denominational one and the one to the goddess of pregnancy haha.

Some of my dwarves have 9 kids!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Strange moods still require something very specific that’s been in my fort like yak leather won’t do it has to be goat leather or whatever right?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

Do you see dwarves shooting crossbows well training?

Yes! I have a separate room for archery training and they go in there every once in a while.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

Do you actually see the bolts being shot at the target? Does it say they "training crossbow" or something? I'm just having trouble figuring out if they are actually shooting anything.

I’m not sure what it says but you do see the arrows flying across the room.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

I designated both over top each other. I think my issue is I don't have quivers.

Ok then they are definitely not shooting.

I can’t quite remember but I think you have to assign the squad to the range as well?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Mister Bates posted:

The necromancer queen doesn't do much necromancy anymore, though, instead devoting her time almost entirely to wrestling competitions.

I had scribes make copies regularly and exported them on caravans for the remainder of my playtime on that fortress.

Lol loving incredible

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Quinton posted:

After a couple false starts I think I'm understanding the basics and got a reasonable little outpost built

Hell yeah nice you got it man!

Just take the advice of other dude and you are well on your way, awesome as poo poo

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I have some dwarfs complaining about a cave in after felling a tree. I'm guessing that means the tree landed on them? :lol:

In my tutorial fort I cut down a tree that crashed through two z levels (first level was soil/farm/clay whatever) and killed my manager while he was sitting at his office chair!

I've got 130+ dwarves now but will always have that one tile of floor that I patched up on the ground z-level that the tree crashed through haha

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

How in the world do I put a captured goblin on to a retractable bridge that I'm eventually going to drop down in to a huge pit?

When I try to build a new cage and then selecting the cage it always says building space already occupied.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I’m in year 5 of my fort and we’ve made it through fire breathing mega beasts that burned down the entire map (except my moat protected fort!), giants of every kind, siege after siege, etc but the biggest problem is that I have 197 dwarves - by far the most I’ve ever had in any fort and 49 drinks left.

I could not figure out why no one was planting anything since my stocks show plenty of seeds and i always set a stock pile for seeds only.

Turns out my barrel of seeds was in a bag in another stock pile way deep down in my fort.

I hope we can make it out of this!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The Demilich posted:

My fortress keeps dehydrating to death.
I had set up some clean water sources and designated them, but I think the distance was an issue since we dug so deep.

My main problem is the drat still! I'll have a designated worker and after a while they just gently caress off and never come back. Is it a seed storage issue?

Did you have a well?

I had three stills going at once and still couldn’t keep up with need. It turned out my seeds were in a barrel inside a bag and I guess they’d been storing them there but not taking them out so my farms weren’t really going.

I’m also moving my farming like 10 levels deep because it’s already muddy from an unfortunate flood involving me switching the wrong lever. I guess the clay or whatever soil sucks now because it’s listed as “bad” and I’ve never fertilized.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Demiurge4 posted:

The cavern floors are named something like “dense fungus” and are 5x more productive as farmland than muddy floor tiles. Check your farms, in the bottom left it’ll say if it’s poor soil quality.

Perfect! Thanks man. I’m like 30 levels deep and still haven’t found the caverns.

I’m going to close off my drawbridge and create a underground airtight entrance/exit trapped to hell and build it wide enough for traders. Going to put some retractable bridges in there as well so I can watch whatever I don’t want coming in fall 30 z levels if they aren’t welcome. Surely nothing will go wrong!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 12, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

What’s my best bet on getting bodies out of a 3 tile wide river connected moat? Pump water out and build a dam? Wait for it to freeze? I engraved slabs for the dudes that died but their bodies being “found” but in deep water but not buried has never stopped them from haunting me before.

It was a rough year for my fort. I bungled some sieges and I’m making a new entrance that will hopefully allow for us to fight on better … umm.. ground. I did go from 49 alcohol with 197 dwarfs to 1000+ alcohol with 202 dwarfs though! And we have quires and scrolls in the library! Enjoy your stay at the bumblebee inn!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I really love the manager screen with conditions and all that I but I have so many I wish I could organize in to tabs or something! I’ve been setting milking and shearing to seasonal checks with high amounts to be made and it works great.

I built a channel underneath my moat to get some bodies out .. we will not be fighting near the moat again damnnnnn!!!!!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 13, 2022

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I have a new main entrance that has a double bridge so I can make goblins who want *MY* artifacts go through a hell labyrinth of glass discs, weapon traps, pressure plates that open bridges to the pits (only 10 levels deep so I have repeater spike traps like the old danger rooms to finish them off!), and forced spilts so I only have to face a few at a time! I’m probably about to go to war with the elves soon because I love cutting down trees. This should work!

I finally found the caverns 50 levels deep in my fort on year *7*. I need to find magma pronto because I’m running out of easy coal.

Since I’m on year 7 the engravings and statues have cool descriptions of interesting things like slaughtering a yak, making artifacts, killing goblins/etc, etc.

I’ve literally not stopped playing this game (except for work….) or thinking about it since it came out on steam. Can’t believe FPS is keeping up because Sackspots is a busy rear end place of 198 dwarves moving poo poo all over the place.

After I find magma and assuming I live I’m setting up minecarts. Ahh this game rules!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IronicDongz posted:

where do you see mandates now

Nobles screen has a little hammer icon with their demands/mandates/etc

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

IcePhoenix posted:

wait do the stockpiles need to actually be inside the dining hall/tavern for people to get stuff from it or is it ok for it to be next to the hall

I have a dining hall with a huge food stockpile across the hall that literally nobody uses and they actually seem to go out of their way not to use it, even eating in my library two floors down and a crazy full tavern with a drink stockpile inside it so maybe the stockpile has to be inside??

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Jazerus posted:

the stockpile does need to be part of the tavern zone yes. but you can just go into repaint on the zone and add the stockpile to it, no need to physically move anything

deep dish peat moss posted:

I think Dwarves need to be assigned to dining halls, they're not just public eating halls.

Oh man I put so much work in to my gigantic grand dining hall .. it was one of the first big things I did. I swear dining halls used to be both assigned to individuals and “for everyone else”. I’ve been wondering the entire game why nobody really used it. Thanks guys.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Danaru posted:

God DAMMIT

Same

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I am literally hooked on filling my incredible library with dumb poo poo I find during raids or weird poo poo my scholars write

Also a roc took out an entire siege then landed near a hammer lord that bashed his head in and it was awesome

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The Moon Monster posted:

Does cave foliage only grow on actual soil layers, and not rock layers that have had mud spread on them?

I’ve got cave foliage on my rock layers that were muddied during the great flood of building a second well.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Warbird posted:

Is the butchering button a bit hinky to click on for anyone else?

I haven’t had an issues and I’ve butchered about 70 yaks. Maybe a weird resolution issue?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

junan_paalla posted:

The library must be my favorite zone so far.

Same!

I stole a book from goblins that sounded awesome “The Dark Fortress” but it’s about a goblin that joined a raid and it’s written terribly! Get that poo poo out of the archives!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Yooper posted:

Adding to this, webbed dwarves trigger weapon traps and cages.

Ahhhhh!!!!!!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Nancy posted:

Apparently when digging channels through a light aquifer in Winter, leaking water can cause ramp squares to flash freeze into an ice wall. If a dwarf happens to be standing there, they also flash freeze.

This happened to me as well when I was expanding my moat and the top two z levels will always be an embarrassing reminder of a few failed attempts to get my legendary miners bones out of the moat so we could bury him. Moats are a lot of trouble!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

So do alpacas not grow wool if they are under ground? When I had them on the surface they always had wool it seems

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

tweet my meat posted:

Made my first dwarven power plant, it's cool as hell

Idk how to solve that problem but that’s cool as hell and I’m going to try something similar!

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Griz posted:

I'm pretty sure the seed barrel thing got fixed, all of mine are in bags in barrels and I haven't noticed any notification spam except when they actually run out of seeds.

My dwarfs are taking seeds out of barrels without any issue. The only problem I've had is barrels of seeds getting stored in other things (a bag for instance) but I just disallowed seeds on all my other stockpiles and it worked itself out.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The elves will not sell me wood and reject it if I try and buy it from them even if I specifically trade like, an awesome steel breastplate (do they hate those as well?). I've almost cleared every goblin settlement within 2 days travel time of my fortress so time to expand even further in to the caverns and write more books about breathing and pregnancy (to be clear, these are completely different subjects to my scholars)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got my problem with the minecart quantum stockpile fixed - the problem was I had set both an intake and outtake stockpile for the minecart, and you only want an intake stockpile.

However there's another huge problem with it not covered in the video: using a 1-tile source stockpile to place the initial stones in before the minecart dumps them in the quantum stockpile is incredibly inefficient. A 3x3 stockpile for haulers to take stones to is better for two reasons:
1) You can assign 4 Wheelbarrows to it
2) A minecart can hold 5 stone anyway so you save yourself the labor cost of 4 minecart activations (which gets switched out to a different dwarf each time so it takes a while)

But this setup with 4 Wheelbarrows assigned to it is incredibly fast at hoovering up your fort's stone:

I set up 5 of these and it works perfect. Thanks for posting this.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

StarkRavingMad posted:

Magma successfully moved from level -118 to level 34. That took awhile, it was more of a "let's see if I can actually do this" project then any real need for magma smelters at this point, but it was a good learning experience.

Now time to flood the world with magma

Nice! What material did you end up using for the pumps?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Some dwarf threw a tantrum for some reason and perhaps became the first vampire in the world?

I probably want to expel this guy right? He's just going to mysteriously start killing my residents right?

My fort just became the civilization capital and I have 233 residents, I'm making all kinds of stuff down in the caverns and building a massive pump stack / power plant (ty starkravingmad for posting your projects) and a minecart circuit that goes like 60 z levels up and down.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Khanstant posted:

the pregnancy berry made your dude into an evil vampire, sorry about that

The berry of pregnancies is huge in my fort, almost every engraving / artifact / etc mentions them in some way haha

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

biglads posted:

I've had some doggos delivered but can't figure out how to get them out of their cages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Make a pen/pasture and assign them to it and the dwarves should let them out of their cages and then you’ll have a million dogs

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Appoda posted:

On a related note, anyone else getting forgotten beasts basically all the time? I'm only four years in on a 424-yo world and I think I'm up to seven appearances.

In 12 very long years I've only had four or five? I guess I picked a happy biome... uhh 2 weeks ago or whenever.

The biggest problem I have is that I have so much going on! Building minecart paths, powerplants, a gigantic magma pump stack, getting royal throne rooms up to the proper standard (jfc), etc. Barons and such are constantly coming and going and the elves think they can limit how many trees I can chop down, gently caress off, I have a lot going on over here!

e: I have 40+ beak dogs tied up all over the map

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Thanks everyone, my QSP does not work! So I'll have to troubleshoot that

What does your track stop setting look like? I really wish track stops were highlighted or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

carticket posted:

I had a puppy-splosion and put them all up for adoption. The expedition leader who already had one dog adopted about 12 puppies all in one go.

I have like 5 pages of dogs and I didn’t know what gelding did or meant… but I do now.