Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

has the steam version been patched so you can select quantities during embark in ways other than clicking +/- over an over? I personally tend to increase the starting budget so I can bring like, a pile of construction materials and things but actually adding those is a huge pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Do wooden training axes not work to cut down trees anymore? You could easily turn your three free wagon logs into a workshop and a couple axes so a no-items start could at least be able to chop trees for a wooden starter base.

Nope.

Nettle Soup posted:

You can make meals, they're just a bit inefficient to store. They'll still stockpile even w/o a barrel.

If you had sand, a magma pipe and you bought a single magma-proof material, such as bars or a rock, you could set up a glass furnace for glass pots. Needs some bags though, hmm. Yeah maybe not. Clay doesn't require bags, but I don't think you can store drink in it unless you glaze it, which needs wood or... tin?
There's a type of clay which doesn't need it but you'll probably need to dig out an area to harvest it in, so, pick.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hbag posted:

yeah i noticed poo poo tends to just go missing more if i keep my artifacts in a vault, no matter how many guards i put on it. in the process of moving poo poo over to my fancy new tavern (built around the bottom of a pit with windows so my dwarves can watch goblins explode into gore)

If you're going to vault them up rather than use them or put them somewhere people can get happy thoughts from looking at them, just wall them in so nobody can get to them at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Waterfalls, while awesome, are very bad for FPS, FYI.
Has anybody tested the artificial mist generators which are only moving a few tiles of water around for FPS impact?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is the bit that people always bring up but the stuff with the ages was just as weird to me imo.
Stuff with the ages?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Wasn't the first incarnation of the magic system prone to things like those failure states, though? I never got the chance to play with it, but I've definitely heard about like, teleporting your own brain outside of your skull, and the like.

That was Slaves To Armok: God of Blood 1. Slaves to Armok: God of Blood 2: Dwarf Fortress has never had a magic system beyond necromancers, who can do exactly one thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

Unrelated: my duchess has proficient fighter, competent striker, adequate wrestler, and novice thrower because of how often she tantrums. I have no idea how to fix this but it's moderately funny that it keeps happening

Have you tried giving her a nice hot bath? :supaburn:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ChickenWing posted:

You can make a pocket world and commit genocide?

I tried murdering everybody in a single settlement once as a necromancer. It took forever, since I had to keep leaving with my zombie horde and returning so that more of the "there's X people living here" would actually spawn on the map where my zombies could actually use the combat system against them. I eventually gave up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

Warhammer synergizes well as a backup weapon with a crossbow, since bashing things with a crossbow uses hammer skill for some reason

Unless you're playing an adventurer from a race with a really good innate attack (black mamba men for their venom, elephant seal men for their enormous size, etc) and good wrestling/striking/biting skill, you should always carry a backup weapon just because ammo is finite, especially in the beta because you can't buy replacement bolts yet
Can you no longer infinitely pick up rocks off the ground to throw?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Being only one z-level deep massively simplifies things yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

those four dwarves
Depends on how annoyed about their demands the genius loci of the fort is and how well that genius loci understands machinery that it could kill them with.

I am referring to the player.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

LOS code is hard to optimize. Water flow is definitely still an FPS issue though, as is temperature. But those things are the major contributors.
I feel like having the entity determine what tiles it can see, once, and then checking what's on the tiles is better than checking if it can see every individual entity in the active game area.