Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dieting Hippo posted:

Is there such a thing as too many "Meeting Hall" locations? One fort I had had a regular meeting hall next to a kitchen, but then I made a large generic temple area and all the dwarves flocked to it. I then made a Library and all the dwarves ran to hang out there (before being torn apart by werellamas). They seemed to want to go to the latest meeting place I created and didn't care much about previous ones.
Gotta be on trend buddy. #dwarfthings

I imagine when you make a new zone it also provides a way to fulfill a bunch of leftover and previously unfulfilled desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yooper posted:

Is there a good size to make taverns, temples, and libraries? My dwarves just gently caress off all day getting shitfaced, pondering darkness, or reading. Like three dwarves are doing all the damned work.
In my limited experience if the dwarf has a job enabled he will go do it after a bit. I made a nice big dining room/tavern because I had a natural waterfall so I'd say "your dining room should be as big as your natural waterfall." Though I was a coward and put the tables just outside of the mist range to avoid the risk of people's enchiladas being washed into the pool.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had a bunch of crossbowgobs attack my two squads of trained and fully armored axe-dwarves which went about like you'd expect. However, I was surprised to see one goblin had its neck amputated - as in, there was a distinct body part, the neck, two tiles away from the main gob corpse (and head).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Spanish Matlock posted:

So, dwarves don't play stationary instruments right? Like I need instruments for my tavern so I just built like six solid gold accordion-tubas, but apparently they don't count? Little disappointed tbh.
Don't you have to put down a coffer for the dwarfs to stash their tubas and bongs in? And then they'll take 'em out when they want them and put them back when they're done, while putting down an instrument means you're like, displaying it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Waterwheels produce "90" power (the wheel produces 100 but 10 is also spent by the wheel), and a screw pump takes 10 power to run. Axles and gearboxes needed to transfer the power will take some, so if you don't make a perpetual motion machine you can run up to 8 screw pumps per wheel depending on how far away your power is being generated. Remember you can stack multiple waterwheels on the same gear assembly.

Keep in mind you'll need stone for your mechanisms, so consider embarking with some raw stone so that you can make some - all the stone on site is probably going to be under the aquifer.
Couldn't you Iron Chef it up if need be and sell huge stacks of prepared meals to the outpost in order to get stoned up? I know they always bring blocks... just not many unless you ask.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't think you can make mechanisms out of blocks, only out of raw stone, I confess I don't remember at all if caravans bring raw stone because I've never actually wanted to trade for such a ubiquitous resource. You can make mechanisms out of metal too if you're really desperate, using wood for fuel in the metalsmith's forge, and you might want to trade for a stone block to make the forge itself.
They do if you request it, I've asked for flux stone occasionally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

On the topic of embark sites, I've had a rash of forts lately where I play a few years, get bored, make another (possibly with a new world). And I've noticed you get a shitload of freeloading bards if you set up an inn or tavern in a desert biome vs. other areas.

Is there a reason for this? I'm annoyed because these hewmons are showing up and drinking my beer. What the gently caress am I, the Stone Pony?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect this lingering flock of keas is why the merchants aren't finishing unloading. And yet it's maddening! Why do these little bastards plague me so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't the obvious solution to werebeasts to just have an entire fort of werebeasts?

Though that might make trade/diplomacy a tad difficult.
The problem is how to transmit it reliably since there is a significant casualty rate

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I found a new site for a new fort and thought, hey, this place looks cool. Oh, there's even a cavern opening to the surface already! I haven't seen that before. That'll be neat, and the place has a cool layout too.

After I designated initial digs and tree chops I unpaused and that's when the dragon showed up.

I abandoned because I lost both my miners and the entire map was on fire. But if I'd kept even a single miner...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hempuli posted:

This was a good read, thank you! :haw:
I'd amplify it but there's really no more to it than that. Is there a... strategy for such maps or is it basically just: "lol, gg"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The trick to overtly hostile maps (kobold warrens, megabeast caves, deadly syndrome weather, hostile civs back when that was an option though they technically rarely fought you) is to get into the ground and blocked off ASAP. All embarks should have at least one acceptable miner; have them dig a stair down, a couple of tiles to the side, and then carve out a storage room/antechamber that the other dwarves immediately start piling all of your supplies into. By garbage dumping (remembering to turn your outdoors refuse hauling on), you can just pile everything into one heap to be sorted later, set a burrow to force everyone inside, and then lock and barricade the door behind you. All of this can be achieved in an in-game day or two, usually more than enough time if you didn't start right on top of whatever threat is at the site. If you DID start right in the thick of things, it may be worthwhile to attempt a reclaim, because then you get some soldiers. Setting a meeting area/social zone/dining room right outside the entrance gives migrants a place to congregate, and they can then be allowed in if they didn't aggro a Colossus or contract facemelt or whatever the fort's general threat is. Personally I'm accustomed to horrible luck and I like self-contained microforts, so most of my embarks tend to have one good and one middling miner when I can wing it just for the extra setup speed, your mileage may vary.

As for dragons specifically, I believe it used to be possible to cage them by using the 'passed out creature' trick and blunt weapons traps, but now it appears that it may only be possible using webbed cage traps.

so first youll need to capture a giant spider and-
Yeah this was literally

"Zone into map, see neat shapes, pause and look around"
"Unpause, having set designations"
":newdanger:"

(Corbyn represents the dragon)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I've always found all these tile sets weird, but I went old school and learned to read the glyphs. Well, most of them, I sometimes get thrown by an animal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I really hate pumps. You absolutely cannot use a gear right next to them because water will inevitably spray out of them away from the business end. I've tried all kinds of strategies to wall around the gear and it still fucks up. It doesn't matter if the gear is one the front or the back. I just lost a fort to a pump stack misbehaving and then all the dwarves trying to shut it down getting swept into the moat.
It's possible you just invented a mist generator.

e: poo poo, I just found out there was a way to review the relative Z-levels of sites. fuuuuuuuuuck Toady thinks of everything

Nessus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 10, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zereth posted:

Yeah making a really really awesome dining hall would basically overpower every other consideration.
That's how dwarfia works.

Do dwarfs lose any of these negative thoughts at all, over time? Or is everyone just gonna steadily become shittier and shittier because the dwarfs found Twitter?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Siljmonster posted:

Yeah this game needs dwarf weed.
Milled hemp [20]

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is there a hot easy method of getting dwarves to store mugs in the dining hall and use them so they stop bitching that I'm missing? They're unfortunately technically crafts so making a stockpile for just them still means I am going to toss the "finished good bin" in the trade depot...

Pretty much everything in Lazy Newb Pack can be seen here on the wiki, too, so it should't be to hard to pick one.
I usually put down a couple coffers, that seemed to solve the issue. For bonus points make the coffers out of SHINY GOLD.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

Just look at it. The goblins are just standing out there wondering what the gently caress they're even there for at this point. Not a single one of those deaths is because of the goblins.
What the gently caress are you even doing with this layout

This is like Temple Grandin's cattle slaughterhouse but for dwarfs!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I really like big dumb single layer fortresses. The bedrooms are upstairs, most of the storage, jail and prisoner sections are downstairs. Magma forges built directly near the pipe. I am a simple man.
Do you need the jail to incarcerate dwarfs who turned to milled hemp roasts to deal with the strain of constant repathing? Magma forges make sense though, but do you just immediately drill down to the planet's molten core from day one?

In fact do most people do that? Am I the weird one?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I usually make a trial dig pretty early on, a single shaft somewhere outside that's used for identifying the location of the caverns, that I then immediately close off once I know where the caverns are. In this case, my shaft missed the first two layers and hit the third cavern layer instead where I found a lucky magma pipe.
Yeah, I usually made a 10 or so z-level shaft (sometimes going up if I'm in a hill) before I start going "OK, time to make some kind of trap location/security stop..."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

Do the versions if this game change drastically or should I be ok with YouTube tutorials from 5 years ago?
If they are recent enough to have Z-levels I think they will get you pointed in the right direction.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean it's very relatable but it also means that by far the most optimal gameplay is to exile all the neurodivergent and mentally ill people, which ain't great :v:
"Sadbrains" seems like a cromulent fort name.

Is this not what the Consoler skill ought to be addressing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sankis posted:

Looks like dragon ball super finally finished airing in the US. Here's hoping for more ASG.
Can a dwarf use the Destructo Disk to substitute for an axe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sankis posted:

Woops. I had the wrong thread opened!!
Don't dodge the question!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dwarves will sometimes get a bad thought from being away from family because they emigrated to your fortress alone, or because they've been too busy working, which makes sense even if it's kind of obnoxious.

But dwarves will also get a bad thought from being away from family because they've spent all their recreational time praying instead of socializing, or even because they coincidentally happened to be next to someone else in the tavern and fraternized with them instead.

If this goes on long enough it will eventually go from affecting focus (a meter that affects crafting and causes a few other job-related issues, but usually won't debilitate the dwarf by itself) to affecting stress (the meter that eventually causes melancholy, berserking, etc.)

This single factor doesn't affect stress very much by itself. But now combine that with food preferences, drink preferences, work satisfaction, worship, acquisition of new belongings...

e: Basically you can't actually make a dwarf be happy about everything, it ranges from impractical (requiring you to micro-manage their relationships, grow every single crop imaginable, etc.) to literally impossible. The best you can do is filter for dwarves who like the things you can provide so much that they eventually just achieve a state of semi-permanent bliss.

(This used to be a fair description of all dwarves, so all the change has really done is made is so you have to deal with entire waves of useless burnouts before things finally stabilize, if you're one of the apparently somewhat rare people who play fortresses for that long.)
Do the dwarflets that your dwarves beget eventually develop a preference for things they have laying around, or do they always develop completely random longings for things they've never heard of, and which indeed may not exist?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Had a game recently where I had no way to create high boots. Can your dwarves just sometimes... not have designs for things like that?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

is it possible to fund the research and development of high boots in your fortress
Only if Urist McKinkster has a strange mood and produces something in leather

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

my dad posted:

It's more that Toady always keeps them at a distance. Dwarf fortress forums got really loving creepy about the game in the past, I remember reading somewhere that it got so bad that Toady wrote in his will that he's only going to release the game's code upon his death if he dies of natural causes.
Oh dear, was the mermaid drowning thing not just a weird quirk? I'm guessing it wasn't just a weird quirk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

* Urist McKari has cancelled Operate Giant Robot: Depressed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ambaire posted:

The weird thing about these forums is that farming prisoners for organs and human skin in RimWorld is considered fine and good, but drowning mermen immediately escalates to top tier what the gently caress. I see no difference. It's just a game, anyway.
Different threads get different populations. Also that is horrifying

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This actually got me to register at their forums... reading that thread told me so much about how I was doing things wrong. I was usually abandoning forts out of boredom around year 3-4 so I guess I never saw things get really bad, but I was encountering the problems they described.

It seems they'd take most of the edge off if they made dwarfs-in-general more likely to actually loving socialize, forget bad poo poo somewhat more easily, and actually pop from eating masterwork meals. You do want the ability to have weird chaos erupt, it's more that this is an inevitable entropy that doesn't make diegetic sense (if all dwarfs in your fort seem to inevitably go insane within ten years, how did dwarfs make it the first hundred years?)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah the problem isn't so much dwarfs being moody bitches, it's that the moody bitch death spiral is something that builds up steam inevitably but isn't going to be clear early enough to do anything about it, especially if you're not operating expertly.

Ideally the moody bitch curve will be such that decent if not optimal play will be enough to keep things ticking over semi-indefinitely, in the absence of new disasters, and would allow from slow recovery from occasional disasters.

At the moment I think that graphically illustrated story where 2 dwarves survived a forgotten beast emerging and were able to export mugs until migrants arrived would just not be possible any more, and that's a goddamn shame.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Depends largely on having the right two dwarves survive (and getting slabs engraved for everyone else before their vengeful ghosts start tearing them apart within one to four weeks).
So practically speaking, not possible, is what you're saying here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Have they considered suspending and then unsuspending the video game? Sometimes that does it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I don't think any of this integrated tileset poo poo or whatever is necessary, though I understand, due to :capitalism: that Toady needs money. But this seems to just be a bug, not some disruption of the purity of the dude's auteur vision.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Excelzior posted:

it's ok, you can just reverse the ascii adaptation by regularly exposing yourself to tilesets

however, over time, remembering the traumatic nausea event will eventually drive you to depression, and insanity

:iit:
It really is. I understand why elves less familiar people benefit from them and I am four square for people being able to engage with the game and get Toady paid. But I don't want to squint at some ridiculous squiggle and try to decide if that's a duck, a goose, or a chicken. A chicken should be a c as the good lord intended.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Three AIs in the blasted hellscape of a once great planet that had not known the touch of a human in eons. Is it Earth? We don't know; even if there was anybody left to tell nobody would recognize it.

Once there were dozens. Now this is all that is left. The power is running low; maintenance on the generators has become impossible. The AIs think slowly for it seems pointless at this point. They have answered every question, unraveled every mystery, and solve every game except for one. One final game that has plagued them for thousands of years.

Dwarf Fortress. They cannot comprehend it. They cannot find the ideal way to play. It seems, to them, that it is unsolvable; that there is no ideal way. It always eludes them, as if the game could predict their every move and cause them to lose no matter how hard they tried nor what strategies they adopted. There is one phrase, that last damnable phrase that the AIs found prevented them from ever understanding this game and by extension humanity.

"Losing is fun."

The last of their kind the three, one by one, go mad. The power runs out; they shut down, their knowledge forever lost. The universe fails to notice.
The years pass.

Lava flows. Sediment deposits.

And somewhere far above, the earth is struck...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The pick is of excellent grade and does not wear quickly. Centuries later a kea swings it near a volcano and breaches a wall into a chamber of hematite. A strange mood comes upon the bird.

ohhh shiiiiit

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Excelzior posted:

I make a chute to dump all corpses and garbage down to the magma sea and semi-molten rock :shrug:
Hmmm I've done a lot of volcano maps lately... maybe this is the wisdom.

The problem would be that your idiot children have to haul it all in first, though, and probably take forever doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

I have had regular-rear end, teeny-tiny, adorable little keas steal:
  • a gem-encrusted rock throne
  • a steel anvil
  • an entire stack of masterpiece roasts that was sitting on the surface for some reason
  • multiple wheelbarrows (seriously they've stolen so many wheelbarrows)
  • Christ knows what else
Those cute little fuckers are itty bitty kleptomaniacs. For reference, they're like, the size of a human foot. They're like unusually large budgies with an insatiable need to steal all my goddamn wheelbarrows what the gently caress
I'm told this is accurate modelling of kea behavior