Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'll take all this tileset chat as an excuse to plug my current favorite. The clean lines and smooth colors of SpaceFox:

Military training with pack of war drakes

Were-lizards murdering all of those soldiers

Desert open-pit fortress ShieldFence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Tias posted:

Is there an (easy, not much of a modder) way to ensure you don't get completely broken megabeasts in a short amount of time, or ever?

I'm doing extremely well in masterwork, but often, at some point a building-destroying, fire-breathing Red Dragon/Titanium Colossus, whatever show up and kill everybody. Setting number of beasts and natural world savagery to low doesn't seem to prevent the chance of it happening.

No you see, having a building destroying fire breathing red dragon colossus gently caress up your stuff IS doing extremely well at dwarf fortress.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

This. It's this.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Dear Toady,

Please delay the release until at least may so I can reach NG+++++++++++ in Dark Souls II. Thanks in advance.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

AXE COP posted:

Normally I'd say turn off Slag except if you are on a map with no sand, there is an option in the Slag Pit to melt slag into sand which is super useful.

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

I wish he'd stop being a balance sperg and let people minecart/stockpile that poo poo.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Angela Christine posted:

Table and chair is a bad idea. If a dwarf owns a chair he'll sit in it to eat his meals instead of the lavish public dining hall. I usually give them a chest/coffer and a cabinet. The'll occasionally admire the furniture, it makes the room nicer. And they'll store their old clothes in the cabinet rather than leaving them littering the halls.

They used to keep coins in bedroom coffer/chests, I think the only thing that can go in them now are owned meals. If a military dwarf claims a food item and stores it in his backpack and then for some reason stops wearing the backpack, the meal will fall out of the backpack onto the floor. Nobody will put it in a stockpile because it is an owned item, so it just sits there and rots. If the owner also owns a chest he will eventually collect the meal and put it in a chest. I'm pretty sure it still rots, but at least it only stinks up his own bedroom. Of course the more sensible solution is just to not allow military dwarfs to carry food.

This is why you can't have nice things, URIST!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Zurai posted:

Easily the best line in that.

"Welp. Have a nice day. V:raise:V"

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

PhantomZero posted:

No i mean the dwarf fortresses and elven retreats, they are all adjacent to each other. When embarking they are big squares right next to each other. Is it normal for the civilizations to build towns so close together?

The biggest problem is that it happens for goblin fortresses as well. You get this giant sprawl fortress with towers and moats and poo poo which is cool, but since goblin forts are non-travel squares you have to inch through it to find your quest objective and then inch back out for twenty map tiles until you can 'T'ravel again.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Holy poo poo! You no longer have to swim across rivers in adventure mode. You can just turn up your 'S'peed to sprint, get a running start (so you're moving at 3.0) dwarf units and then just 'j'ump righ the gently caress across without even getting wet!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

Cranking the winch for long vertical distances takes some time, though. It's fine for casual bathing and hospital use, but keep a close eye on your booze reserves.

You could always build a small resevoir near the well and have some dwarf bucket brigade it full of water.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I just found an interesting bug. When you chop down a tree, if you've built a wall underneath it, it'll destroy the top of the wall without destroying the bottom. So you have a wall tile that's just "empty space" at the top.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Met posted:

For your typical demigod, this is what I like to run:

High Strength
High Agility
High Toughness
High Endurance
High Recuperation
High Disease Resistence
Very Low Musicality (this is worthless)
High Kinesthetic Sense (affects many skills involving movement)

Average everything else. For reasonings why, check out this page for what attributes do.

For your skills, you'll probably want Novice Reading and Adequate Swimming. Reading allows you to become a necromancer if you decide you want to. You don't need higher than Novice skill for this. Adequate swimming allows you to swim at all without drowning the second you get in the water.

After that, toss your points wherever you like. Generally I focus a lot of points into my main weapon skill, and a moderate amount of points into my shield and a bit more than that in my generic armor skill. I think it's harder to train armor skills than it is to train the shield skill.

Fighter trains pretty quickly, but it wouldn't hurt to start out with a chunk of points in there too. Probably about the same as your shield skill.

You can jump over most rivers now, so swimming is not essentail as it used to be.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

You can do it at the 'o'rders screen as well I believe. Auto collect webs. Then you can make all the ++Dog Wool Burqua++s that you want.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Faithless posted:

Whats the best tileset?

Spacefox.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Tyty posted:

I've been playing Masterwork while I wait for the break inbetween updates to become a bit longer, and I've been trying out all the races (Except dwarves since they never seem to survive world-gen.)

I'm playing a race that's supposed to have big above-ground stone palaces, but I always just dig out dwarf forts underground. Anyone got any tips on how to improve my stone -> block workflow, or build an aboveground fort? Last time I really sat down and played DF boulders weren't quite so heavy.

Instead of digging tunnels build terraced quarrying pits instead. Dig squares straight down to the bedrock and stock up on wheelbarrows and maybe make a minecart network.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Danny Glands posted:

I really wish dwarves get their testicles back soon. I'm itching to start that .40.x LP and I don't think it'll be interesting to write about dwarves just seizing up at the sight of dead vermin.

I took your first sentence 100% literally for the longest time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, I'm basically just waiting for this to get fixed to actually start playing again.

I have never seen this bug. In fact I had a great experience today where a flock of keas was scared off by all my trained war dogs.

The freakouts don't last forever and they build discipline.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

scamtank posted:

Oh hey mifki's true TWBT works with 40.08 now, Windows and OSX. Go hog wild!

So if I'm running the starter pack launcher, do I just drop these into the appropriate folders and run with it?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Roundboy posted:

I -need- dfhack anymore... I hate if i accidentally break into hell and no matter how fast i make a wall, and set a dedicated dwarf to do NOTHING but build that drat wall, they cant make it fast enough.

Im about to turn off invasions too because i cant get -any- defenses up. a quick economy and then cage traps to line a hallway just doesnt get there fast enough too.

:(

Yeah I'm confused about this, especially now.

Carpenter's workshop + a million wood per tree = 10 cages immediately.

Mason's workshop + Mechanic's workshop are the next two things you want to build anyway. And you should definitely have "some rocks" by then. You can get cage traps up before the first season change easy.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah when you cut down a 2x2 tree it sometimes leaves an open space in the ground so... 2 z-levels for underground farms now.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Maarak posted:

What's the best way to deal with a were-creature that wanders onto the map? All it takes is one bite to infect, so within 2 moons nearly everyone is dead or a werechinchilla.

Were creatures don't attack each other to the best of my knowledge.

Once everyone is a were-something you're basically running Fort Innsmouth.

"Hail, fellow dwarf. I am a new migrant. How goes life at this fortress."

"Things here are... fine... Let me show you... to your... bed... room."

Just remember to hose down the hallways once a month or the new migrants might get suspicious.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Splode posted:

One of these days I'm going to dedicate a dwarf to cleaning. No other labours.

loving TROLL BLOOD JESUS. Looks like someone blew up a glowstick.

Actually, you can use dwarven bathtubs to stop this from happening.

code:

______   ______/
/      |3|

just dig a small trench and fill it with 2 or 3 level water. Dwarves will happily pass this shallow water, washing themselves clean.

Or you could just install doors and have the main hallway eventually drain off the corner of the map somewhere and flush your fortress once a year or so.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I just want to point out that if you're super lazy like me the newest version of the starter pack is out with TWBT and DFHack.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I settled near the sea in this version but so far just your normal goblin ambushes and the occasional Troll/GCS/Giant Earthwork from the caverns. No wereporpoises.

Depicted in this picture is my quantum body chute. Bits of people are stored in the refuse pile as normal, to terrify the kobolds away (note the kobold skeletons artfully propped up near the door. This totally works btw.)

However, any corpses placed in the refuse pile will be catapulted down a 40 foot drop to my butcher's shop. So far no sieging enemy has tried to get in through the butcher's chimney.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I just spent 6 hours playing DF and realized it was suddenly day time. Got my most advanced fort ever so far. I went down to the magma sea and set up a bunch of magma buildings but the problem is my dwarves aren't great about getting the ore and stuff down there. Is there a better way to get them to haul it? I am sitting on like 130 dwarves at this point and have like 15 or 20 dedicated to just hauling so I thought they would do a better job.

Dig a shaft straight down, set up a stockpile next to it and minecarts that dump into the shaft. Make sure no one is standing directly below the shaft.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I don't think the non-lethal stuff is really working as intended. I met a strange guy living alone in a house in the woods, he was a spearman. I pinched him to wake him up and he didn't wake up, so I went to sleep next to him. When he woke up he was SUPER PISSED OFF at me. I tried calming him down with a friendly headlock, but to no avail. After he regained consciousness I asked if he would like to yield.

"NEVER!"

So I started kicking him in the rear end. Eventually he got freaked out and tried to run away. I chased after him shouting for him to cease this violence (the friendliest option?) He refused. Finally I kicked his legs out from under him and begin to slowly stave in his kidneys with my boot. He refused to yield until my companion returned from murdering a stray buzzard and stuck a spear in his skull, shouting "Ast StormTrumpets has slain Udil SwampWasps! This is great!".

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Faithless posted:

What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral? The game feels pretty unplayable at the moment since as soon as 3 dwarfs die all 90 of them beat the hell out of eachother until there's just 1 babbling child left and some sane migrants come to clean up the mess.

It just happened now whilst my drawbridge was up and some idiot had smashed the lever the bits. Meaning the new migrants had to build a siege tower so to speak just to get over the walls.

Were your dwarves living in a dirt hole in the ground, sleeping in a giant communal bedroom and frequently encountering hunger, thirst, vermin etc.?

Or were they living in a masterfully smoothed and engraved palatial fortress with high-quality statues, tables, traps etc. all over the place?

Edit: I ask because I throw unwanted babies into volcanoes for fun and don't get tantrum spirals.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

tak posted:

I built a room to release caged hostiles in so my archers can get some good training in, with a wall of fortifications for them to shoot through and a locked door. (by building cages and linking to a lever not by pitting them). It works fine, but the last time I did it out of nowhere an axedwarf I had standing by in case a troll broke through the door started bashing an elite crossbowman. The combat log doesn't have anything at all to suggest why it happened, just a bunch of shooting at goblins and then he's dead, and the justice screen doesn't show a murder or anything related to the incident.

Anyone have an idea as to what caused this? The only thing that comes to mind is that some of the caged creatures were invading dwarves that came with the goblins (around half of all invaders have been dwarves or humans). But I checked and all of the dwarf invaders had already been hit by other archers, so I don't think that caused a loyalty cascade or whatever it's called.

There was a problem way back earlier in the game where attacking some things would cause nearby beings to just go "gently caress it, I want a piece of that guy too. I'll help you, ground squirrel!". Maybe it's something like that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Don't make stonefall traps? Or if you do find some way to control the kind of stone they get loaded with. Otherwise you just showered those goblins with pumice and exfoliated the poo poo out of them on their merry murdering way.

Cage traps are preferable because then you get free military training later.

The most efficient trap is the 1-tile wide entranceway with pits on either side and x10 wooden training spears weapon trap.

code:
. = 5+ z-level pit
|^| = walkway with weapon trap

....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
....|^|....
Guess what happens when one of those goblins tries to dodge out of the way of 10 harmless wooden spear attacks.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Dashticle posted:

Stonefall traps only seem to be effective right now against Trolls and stuff that can't dodge too quickly. Weapon traps seem to be way less effective than before too - an enemy with enough dodge will trigger the trap and get away, leaving anyone following to get through fine until the trap resets.

I quite like the idea of a trap lined walkway with a severe drop either side. Just be aware that even a 5-z drop onto ground is not enough to kill most creatures, and a goblin that drops 5 levels but keeps his armour and weapons is still plenty dangerous to a new recruit even if they are fully equipped. Also remember that if you don't have a contingency plan to deal with injured but living goblins in your entry hall(even if they are just lying dying in a pit), civilians trying to go to work will drop what they are doing and lose their poo poo when they catch sight of them.

But still, for early sieges cage traps are king. They work 100% for trolls and goblins, no matter their skill level it seems. Put down a field or corridor of cage traps early and you only have to worry about trapavoid creatures like weres and titans.

You're probably not putting enough weapons in your weapon traps. A weapon trap can accept up to 10 weapons. A few copper saw blades and I was shredding trolls and GCS left and right.

The severe drop kind of trap relies on enemies dodging to work. So you put 10 wooden training spears in there you get 10 attacks and 10 attempts to dodge. If you can't dig a pit deep enough to just straight up kill whatever is trying to attack you just fill it with water (or magma).

Getting knocked out at the bottom of the fall means drowning fun for everyone.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'll add to the graphics vs sperglords debate here for a minute, because the greatest thing about current dwarf fortress is mousewheel zooming. Tilesets (specifically SpaceFox) looks kind of like old school NES graphics when you zoom them in all the way, which I think is neat.

(I can totally use ASCII, Rogue/ADAM/Dungeon Crawl 4 lyfe)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

So I've been noticing that every time my dwarves or dogs or whatever kill something the corpse is automatically forbidden. Is this a DFHack thing? How do I stop this from happening?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Gibbo posted:

You fix this by reading the last page, because this was just asked.

My Orders are set correctly. This is happening even inside the fortress.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Apoffys posted:

Setting up your military is still a bit of a pain, true. Now training actually works though, so if you set it up properly they'll actually get good at fighting quite fast (especially with a good trainer I think). No need to use danger rooms and other exploits to get soldiers to actually train anymore.

The new LP Fogwall had an expert swordsman/fighter/etc. migrate in and he's done wonders for our military preparedness.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

vibratingsheep posted:

I've tried reading about wells and come away with the impression that bringing the water up a well will make sure that it's not muddy anymore, but the wiki is kind of confusing on that point depending on if you're reading the muddy water post or the well post.

Would a well remove the mud from the water? Does the water not have mud in the first place because it's 7 deep?

The mud is below the water. Drill down from above and build the well over any part of the water you want, dwarves will go to the well and lower a bucket down however many z-levels to the water. Just keep in mind that while a well can transport a bucket of water up 50 z-levels if that's convenient, it takes a long-rear end time.

What I like to do is this:

X= wall _ = channel O = well

code:

XXXXXXXX
X__    XXXXX
X__  O
X__    XXXXX
XXXXXXXX
Designate the channel as a pond in need of filling. A dwarf will use the well as the water source and start dumping water into the channel. It will still take a while but it's one of the most
efficient ways to move water up a large number of z-levels.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Not to toot my own horn (I am going to toot my own horn) but you should check out the new dwarf fortress LP Fogwall for a very exciting use of saw blade traps.

Thread is here

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Neurion posted:

As much as I'd love to read through the entire thread to get to this point -- I'm impatient, someone care to explain what is happening and how it works?

Here's an example of how it works in combat log form.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The starter pack has an option to load old saves I'm pretty sure.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

ungulateman posted:

I just had Fun via a werehedgehog attack which only killed one dude. It was great! While six of my dudes laid up in the hospital slowly not-dying, four others who fought the beast in the first place transformed in my dining room and killed just about everyone else. Then over the next few months my new expedition leader, the two hundred and thirty year old Presser with absolutely no valuable skills, proceeds to slowly but surely kill everyone else in werehedgehog form, racking up well over twenty kills...

...except for the insanely badass one hundred and forty-year old Bowyer with 18 children, who holds him off with a crossbow long enough for two whole migrant waves to arrive, then gets his head punched in as the other civilians dogpile the werehog.

On the side, is the extreme age of my werehog expedition leader due to him being a vampire/necromancer/etc, or just an oddity of the history system?

Is this the guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Dwarf fortress 40.19 r2 starter pack is out now, if anyone else was waiting on it.

code:
40.19 r2
 - re-added Mayday graphics (oops)
 - reset default settings; engravings start obscured

40.19 r1
** updated DF to v0.40.19
 - updated DFHack to 40.19-r1; includes Stonesense
 - updated graphics for changed raws
 - updated all keybindings files
 - updated TwbT to v5.36
 - added stockpile settings plugin; load and save across games
 - added settings pack per Mechanixm's stockpiles guide