Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just picked up the steam version after bouncing off the UI years ago and uh if this is the new improved user friendly ui I see why I bounced off it in the first place. Am I missing something or is there seriously no way to order x of an item where x is neither 1 nor infinity, other than just queuing it up x times at like 3-4 button presses each time? Rimworld isn't usually considered a masterwork of UI design but they still did a lot better than this. Seriously all you need are + and - buttons and a count. gently caress even just copy/paste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

In the Nobles menu you appoint one of your dwarves as a manager, then you create an office for that Dwarf which I think can just be a chair somewhere. You can then issue work orders of specified amounts, or work triggers based on stuff. Like make ten tables if table supply reaches 0, ect

that's... ridiculous, but okay, thanks lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just loaded up my game and I keep getting spammed with notifications that my bookkeeper can't update stockpile records due to a lack of office. But he has one. I double checked and it's still there, still assigned to him. Even deleted and recreated it and assigned it to him again but still no luck. It worked fine last I was playing. The only thing I can see that's changed is he's dropped an old sock in there. Do old socks break offices or is this a bug?

I'm also constantly getting messages about my fruit collectors cancelling their orders due to "dangerous terrain." I have plenty of stepladders and again, it worked fine for a while, until it didn't. Tried googling it and didn't find much, only one bug report which sounded like the same thing but it was from like 2016 and there was nothing about a workaround or fix. Now I'm running out of food since I guess I haven't made enough farms to feed everyone without supplemental fruit gathering.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 20, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

pray for my aunt posted:

The only the I had the 'no office' happen once because she was stuck up a tree

Ah, yup, that was it. Thanks

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Why am I occasionally having random dwarves die of dehyration? I have a functioning well in my fort, not even far from where they've died. Six of the seven starting dwarves in my previous (first) fortress drowned so that I could learn how to do this properly. Why are dwarves still dying?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

skooma512 posted:

This happened to me last night. I was out of buckets. Granted there were buckets of water in the hospital, but I guess they only do it with a freshly filled empty bucket.

Check the log for interrupted jobs, it'll say like Shorast Fishfucker: Give water cancelled because [no bucket/no water]

I was getting that alert a while back, I think for immobile dwarves who couldn't walk to the well on their own, until I made a work order to make sure I always had buckets on hand. Not sure how to check the log but I haven't had any of those alerts in a while. I'm pretty sure the latest dwarf to die of dehydration was mobile. They weren't in my hospital and I have no idea how they would have theoretically lost the ability to walk. The only hostiles to get in to my fort have been goblin thieves/pedos who've been swiftly put down and none of their bodies were anywhere near where the last dwarf died. None of them were very recent either.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 22, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Appoda posted:

ICould be a lack of buckets as mentioned, but dwarves would much rather drink alcohol. If you don't have a farm set up yet, set a couple dwarves to gather plants; unless you're in a wasteland, they'll find berries and stuff they can brew into wine, which will keep them happy and hydrated.

I've got plenty of booze, not far from the well or latest dead dwarf

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Crackmaster posted:

I'm more than 40 pages behind the thread (having too much fun playing to read it as much), but I just stumbled over this sad story and had to share my grief.

Poor little guy.

Not sure what I'm supposed to be reading into this story. The dwarf wants to hang out more but cant because...?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

The idea of steel helm, steel breastplate, mail shirt, and gauntlets but your rear end hanging out is just great.

Ah, the Ancient Greek style of armour

yes i know the greeks didn't have steel get out

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Reading a lot of these posts I feel like starting my first real fort (that I didn't flood early on) in what I guess is a pretty chill location is teaching me bad habits. I'm up to 200 dwarves and the only threats I've faced have been a few goblin thieves, a couple of goblin "sieges", and some elves pissy (but not yet violent) about my tree cutting. The goblin siege forces have all been stomped by my one part-time training squad who I've told to wear metal armour (as per that starter guide just after the OP) but pick their own weapons, just sallying out and killing them before they even get to my half-assed defensive perimeter with just a door and no drawbridges or traps around the entrance to my fort. For some reason said squad doesn't actually wear much real armour, despite me pumping out a bunch of steel everything, most of them have like a helmet and shield but just normal clothing otherwise. I should probably look into that, but it hasn't stopped them from effortlessly killing all the goblins so far. I've dug down ~20 levels hoping to find magma but haven't even hit the caverns yet. I imagine when I do I'll probably get wiped out in short order but yolo. After a bunch of one off orders for 10 steel helms/breastplates/each weapon/ etc and 20 of gauntlets and boots I made a work order for 10 steel mail shirts for whenever I run out of mail shirts and for some reason my smiths have been working on that constantly despite only having one squad of 10 dwarves. Not entirely sure where all these mail shirts are going but I guess my embark is very metal-rich because I have more iron ores than I can be assed mining and giant stockpiles full of ore and coal so whatevs. I also haven't had any tantrums despite mostly ignoring my dwarves' unmet needs and the handful of grumpy dwarves I have. Most of the population seem okay with their bedrooms, a couple of guildhalls and temples they requested, and the tavern I finally got around to designating after inferring from this thread that they're a pretty basic thing that exists which I should have

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 23, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

For some reason said squad doesn't actually wear much real armour, despite me pumping out a bunch of steel everything, most of them have like a helmet and shield but just normal clothing otherwise. I should probably look into that,

quote:

After a bunch of one off orders for 10 steel helms/breastplates/each weapon/ etc and 20 of gauntlets and boots I made a work order for 10 steel mail shirts for whenever I run out of mail shirts and for some reason my smiths have been working on that constantly despite only having one squad of 10 dwarves

Okay so I did look into it, and according to the stocks page, none of the steel stuff I made exists any more, other than 20-odd mail shirts of varying condition. Does it get worn-out in sparring sessions? Should I be making wooden practice weapons to prevent that?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 23, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Griz posted:

practice weapons are entirely useless outside of the old-school danger room (does that even work anymore?) but sparring doesn't damage anything and even actual combat probably won't hurt steel armor.

I have a standing order to make 3 sets of iron armor if there's less than 2 available and none of that has gone missing so I dunno what's up with your game. if animals were stealing it you would have gotten notifications.

Yeah I definitely haven't had any notifications about animals stealing stuff and besides they appear to be borderline nonexistent in my zone. The only animals around are some pets that I guess immigrants brought with them. Oh there's a bunch of dead frogs and hamsters around the place too, and I think I might have spotted the odd living one? But when I go looking now I can't find any. It kind of sucks because I can't seem to hunt anything and my mood dwarves keep going insane because they can't get bone. Someone's pet cat died on the surface near my entrance and it's now a skeleton but nobody wants to come haul it to my bone stockpile for whatever reason idk. According to the wiki the dwarves won't use the bones of sentient creatures so that's the goblin invaders ruled out. If I can't craft stuff from the bones of my enemies why is bonecrafting even in the game? Gotta remember to see if I can order some bones from the caravan but I keep forgetting.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 23, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Do teeth count as bones for strange moods?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Hot take: You don't really need magma furnaces if you have bituminous coal or lignite on your map. On my last fort I had 2000+ coke just from having a single smelter set to make coke permanently.

I've got loads of trees and coal on my map but I'm still looking for magma, because magma forges are badass and what am I going to do, not build one? Plus this is my learn the game mechanics run so if cavern baddies don't get me before I find magma I want to try and figure out this pumping business. Speaking of the caverns, I hit the top two layers for the first time today. I promptly walled off the first layer and have dug down to the base of the second. I've carefully breached into part of the second layer and walled up a small area of it ready for some test crops to see how the soil compares to the silt layer I have up top. I also found an artifact pickaxe hidden in a wall down there so that was pretty cool. Right now it's just sitting in a stockpile somewhere, is there a way I can give it to one of my miners? As I understand it, pick quality doesn't matter for mining, but it wouldn't hurt for one of them to have a badass weapon just in case.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

How much time do I have to build this goddamn temple complex the majority denomination in my fortress asked for? 2k value to 10k value is a hell of a fuckin jump

it's not as hard as it sounds. just dig out a reasonably large area and smooth + engrave all the walls and floors. you don't even need to stick fancy expensive stuff in there

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You guys all have such pretty neatly arranged forts. My fort, Boarboard (I would say it’s like waterboarding but with boars, except I don’t actually have any boars, or for that matter any prisoners to drip boars onto) is an absolute loving mess. I’ll post screens that will make you all cry when I get back from visiting fam for xmas

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 24, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Oooh what could it be?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Congrats you found one of the most stupidly OP weapons in the game.

This is a divine metal artifact weapon. It has perfect sharpness stats on the material and the quality boosts that to absurd levels. The rust descriptor means it is associated with the magical sphere of Blight

Oh lol, that's cool then. Now I just gotta pump out the pool of magma it's sitting in.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

If you don't have another source of magma, that's a free magma-powered forge sitting there for you. Try pumping it out in a way that keeps it in one tile instead of spreading out and evaporating.

I've been doing my research and am working on a pumpstack to get it up closer to my main fortress area. It's like 50-60 z levels though and involves breaching into parts of the caverns I've left sealed so it's gonna take a while

New Zealand can eat me posted:

How do I check my petitions?

You can't lol. Gotta write them down

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 26, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone have any idea why my corkscrews have stopped showing up when I'm asked to choose components when I go to build a new screwpump? I have a whole bunch of them stockpiled, and they show up on my stocks screen. They're not forbidden. I made a one-tile stockpile and forbid bins so I have a single corkscrew sitting in it so I know it can't be reserved for another task. I tried messing with the stockpile give/take permissions and even deleting the stockpiles completely but nothing seems to help.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 27, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

Items used in buildings will still show up in the stocks screen. There should be two numbers on the left side: a white one and an orange one. The orange one is the number that are being used in buildings, and the white one is the number that you have available for use in stockpiles. Are you sure the screws you're seeing in the stocks screen are in a stockpile and not already inside a pump?

Yeah I've definitely got a bunch that are not in pumps. I've been moving around both a bin full and several individual screws, and manufactured some extras of a different material to boot. I also mathed out approximately how many I'd need for my pump stack and ordered that many. I've only built half of it so there should be and are many left over. They do show up in white on the stocks screen. None of them show up when I try to build a pump.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 27, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I've definitely got a bunch that are not in pumps. I've been moving around both a bin full and several individual screws, and manufactured some extras of a different material to boot. I also mathed out approximately how many I'd need for my pump stack and ordered that many. I've only built half of it so there should be and are many left over. They do show up in white on the stocks screen. None of them show up when I try to build a pump.

okay I said gently caress it and put in an order for another 100. After making the first 30-odd I suddenly have 90 available again. Seems buggy

e: aaaaand they're gone again

e2: okay now it's like 50/50 of them showing up and when they do the header is half under the search bar. so i managed to select one and now the dialogue for choosing a pipe section is empty :suicide:

e3: managed to order a build with the "take closest material" option but who knows if it's gonna be magma safe. guess i have to set up a special stockpile so magma safe blocks will be closest

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 27, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

"It's self indulgent to the point of masturbation, but drat, what a ride!"

It’s the literary equivalent of pink floyd. Yeah it’s self indulgent as gently caress but it’s so good it gets away with it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Can you kill a forgotten beast made of water with ordinary weapons? I had one turn up and it got into a fight with another forgotten beast which I'd ignored and left roaming around my sealed-off caverns. I was watching the fight and the one made of water didn't have any wounds showing up on its health description page at all, until it suddenly died somehow. Might have been poison or something?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

E: also, the wound description page only works on units your doctors have diagnosed. You'll have to look at their description tab to see what damage they've taken.

Yeah that's the tab I meant. Maybe wounds was the wrong word for the game's terminology. I'd watched a few other beast fights through the description tag and seen the damage adding up, and in this fight the other beast had damage showing but not the water one.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

What would cause the homeland caravan to stop turning up every year? 2-3 years back in my current run I got the message that it had turned up, but I couldn't see it anywhere. IIRC the liaison showed up and talked to me but as far as I could tell the caravan never actually spawned. I haven't seen them or the liaison since. Can they spawn in the caverns? If so it might have spawned on an unexplored cavern map edge and been unable to get in due to me having walled them off, and there not being a big enough path up anyway. Seems weird they'd try to get in that way when my depot is on the surface and my main base just a couple of levels down. I've had human caravans with multiple wagons turn up since and they had no problem getting there across the surface. It's annoying because now I can't ask them to bring pig tail seeds and even buying all the rope reed cloth the humans bring I still run out trying to keep up with my fort's clothing demands.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 28, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Go to the Creatures panel (bottom-left) then click the "Other" tab and look for caravans/traders that are stuck on your map somewhere. If they get stuck, they can't visit again until they get out and go home. Sometimes just deconstructing and reconstructing a trade depot can fix it

Cheers I'll try these.

quote:

You might be able to get cloth by shearing wool-bearing animals at a Farmer workshop or scraping up all the icky spiderwebs in the caverns :shrug:

If I can't find a stuck caravan it might come to the spiderwebs but god drat expanding my green zone in the spider biome will be a pain in rear end. It's like 5 z-levels high and a labyrinth. That's a lot of painstaking scaffold building and walling and triple checking I haven't left a gap somewhere up near the ceiling for a flyer to sneak through. There's also the potential for spider bites from cave spiders which I think the wiki said give a nasty permanent debuff. Might actually be more of a pain than actually figuring out animal capturing and breeding and training and pens and population control and...

I do have a few sheep roaming my fortress that showed up at some point. Come to think of it they showed up at around the same time as a bunch of boars that appeared on one map edge around the time the missing caravan failed to appear. And I did order live animals, including boars, for that caravan, since I felt Boarboard needed some boars. Maybe the animals rebelled and ate the caravan then wandered onto the map

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 28, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Grizzlynuts is struggling. Not because of any resource, or needs, or process, but because every time it tries to save now, the game crashes and I lose the entire season's worth of progress. Verified local files and all that, no love. ARGH. It's a cool fort, too.

Clearly the solution is to deactivate autosaves and then simply leave the game running and never turn your PC off until you are done with the run

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Oh my god something is going horribly wrong with this reclaimed fortress map. The volcano is overflowing! It's just gushing non-stop lava and covering the surface. Is this normal? Is this an eruption has something gone horridly wrong with my fluids?

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Dwarf Fortress: Has something gone horribly wrong with my fluids?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

hbag posted:

theres a brook near my fort and i want to do Funny poo poo with it but im really not sure what

divert it into your fort

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Normally I approval or disapprove visitors based on how funny their name is, but

I'm not sure I need a permanent miasma cloud in my tavern

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Not having any luck googling this: am I correct that all wood types have the same value and the most valuable bed is any masterwork one? Can you bling beds out with gems?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

mst4k posted:

Do keas steal poo poo inside your fort? I'm built in to a mountainside now because those fuckers loooovveee stealing

That's kea irl too. Just be thankful they aren't also killing your sheep or destroying your minecarts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

what does ticking boxes in "nobody does this" actually do?

it... stops anyone from doing that job. what else would it do? :confused:

e: oh wait you mean you can tick individual dwarves in that mode? yeah that is weird

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

johnny park posted:

How? Sorry, but when I try that nothing happens

You need to hit build -> constructions -> stairs instead of dig -> stairs

Also thank you for reminding me of the existence of the best Foo Fighters song, haven't listened to that in ages

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 30, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

can i build schools and temples??

temples yes, your dwarves will ask you to build them and guildhalls at some point. schools no, but guildhalls help improve your dwarves' skills. you can also build libraries. i haven't actually built one yet myself, but afaict they don't improve skills or anything but do give nerdier dwarves happy thoughts and teach bards new songs? which idk if that helps in any way but

e: oh i think you can also get your dwarves and visitors writing books in your library which you can trade. seems like a lot of effort when there's easier stuff to produce for trade though

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 30, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

kdrudy posted:

Retired my first fort, Pureseal, because I was getting tired of dealing with cave sparrow man and olm man raids in the caverns.

Can you stop cavern raids by just walling off the map edges? I've been pushing into different caverns to various degrees by walling small sections off and gradually expanding. Only had one cavern raid so far and it was when I'd opened up a wall section to expand. It was easily put down but I'm assuming they'll become bigger/more frequent as I grow in wealth.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Welp, RIP Boarboard, my first real fort. My first warning something had gone wrong was when one of my magma forges cancelled a job due to becoming inoperative. Turned out some water had gotten into the magma reservoir and turned the intake into obsidian. I'd been digging around down at the bottom of my magma pump stack draining water and magma pools to get at the gems and artifacts down there, so my first thought was that water had somehow gotten into the magma pumps and blocked them up. I went to look and see where I went wrong but couldn't find a problem. Turns out the water never got into the pumps - it was draining down from above. In the winter I'd dug a new tunnel past the reservoir for my well. The point where the water comes down from above freezes up for most of the year and, aside from the one icy edge, the tile turns dark. I forgot about that and didn't notice the new tunnel ran right past that one tile. It didn't flood immediately because it was still frozen and I didn't stick around to watch the tunnel get dug out so I didn't notice when the other side of the ice tile was revealed. Come summer and of course it thawed out again and by the time my magma forge went offline it was too late to do anything about it. Kind of ironic I was so worried about flooding my base with magma while I was building the pump stack, only for that to go off without a hitch and me to flood the base with my "safe" water supply instead. Lesson learned: next time I'll surround my reservoir with bricks to avoid any digging incidents.

I'm sure as gently caress not building another 60 level pump stack, so time to roll up a volcano fort!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

punishedkissinger posted:

goblins can jump at least 2-levels in my experience

Are goblin thieves an exception to that? I only had a 1 level high surrounding a 2 level “keep” over the stairs into the fort proper. I spotted some thieves heading in so I raised the drawbridge in the curtain wall and they immediately gave up and walked back off the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

hbag posted:

i dont think you can have dorms as rentable rooms

Yeah I’m pretty sure you have to assign the bedroom room type specifically and dorms are a different room type