Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Is there any material added by the masterwork mod that is better than adamantine for the purpose of making weapons/armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:stonklol:

This is going to be an interesting fight.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So it turns out that putting a fire landmine in your fort's main entrance is a bad idea. But it sure was pretty!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Life is cruel to dwarves sometimes. I just had a baby transform into a werewolf in its mother's arms, who then tossed him into the fort's primary indoor water source with no way out. I'm in a haunted embark, so when he changes back and drowns I'll probably have a baby dwarf corpse swimming around in his mother's drinking water.

Armok pretty much said "gently caress you, kid" before he could even walk.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

How the hell did a baby turn into a werewolf? :psyduck:

Chalking it up to Masterwork weirdness. He was listed as a "baby werewolf" instead of just a werewolf in the unit list after transformation. No corpse baby in the end, he jumped out of the pool and got hacked up by a swordsdwarf.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm also getting back into this for the first time since the new version and the combat reports are interesting now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Baroness cancels Attend Party: conducting diplomacy

loving elves.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

First fort of a newly genned world and noticed my outpost liaison was not a dwarf. Upon further investigation:

Time to dig through the legends and figure out what happened.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Today I learned that goblin kings arrive as tame citizens, and thus can be assigned to a chain at the main entrance. This was handy since he could not be assigned to a room. It was extra handy when the local necromancer tower sent the first waves of undead.

Also looked through the legends to figure out what happened. At some point early in history generation a dragon killed the first dwarven king, and at that point a goblin gets appointed as a baron along with the other dwarven nobles who also needed replacing. The intermingling of species in mixed forts goes on for about a century until something really interesting happens: a goblin army led by a dwarf destroys a dwarven army led by a goblin, sacking the mountainhome and killing the dwarven king. At this point a peace treaty was signed and a goblin was elected king of the dwarves. :psydwarf:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've had that when I'm embarked near a tower, but before they lay siege. It's usually a couple necromancers scouting and they scurry off the map when discovered.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sometimes my dwarves pick interesting squad names

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just wanted to pop in and say that becoming a necromancer in adventure mode is awesome.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lesson learned today: while awesome, necromancers do in fact need to breathe. YASD

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Since you could previously drink adventurer tears, I wonder if they could now collect tears in mugs and sell them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Getting back into this with the new patch and trying out the tavern and library mechanics. Has anybody built a fortress then come back as an adventurer to sneak a necromancer's book into the library before reclaiming? I'm curious as to the result.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Things are going poorly in Netwashed. My dwarves are making artifacts out of dwarf pieces. No fell moods yet, but the constant rising of the dead is taking its toll.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Behold: an artifact gauntlet dedicated to dentistry

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Inheritance just screwed me on my current fort. The first mayor was elected in the past season and something must have happened in the world because three dwarves inherited noble titles. I instantly got a king and two barons who are going to be very pissed off while I build quarters for them. :psydwarf:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Peasant Falling Down
A play in One Act

~fin~

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Seems legit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll admit most of the fort are inexperienced biters since I dropped that vampire down the well :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Close to 200 dwarves in the fort and only half are vampires. There's a crime wave of unsolved murders that the vampire captain of the guard is too busy attending parties to solve. Every so often a fresh batch of food migrants shows up.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tales from the fortress. I dam up a major river that's only 1 z-level high. Dwarves start hanging out in the draining area drinking and whatnot, cancelling jobs and drinking because of dangerous terrain and generally getting pushed downriver a bit. Somehow I end up with Urist McDumbass stuck up a tree on the bank, presumably scrambling up it to avoid being swept away. The thing is I don't figure this out until i get the message that he has died of dehydration. Yup, Urist McDumbass climbed up a tree like a cat and died up there. Naturally I don't want dwarf corpses hanging from my trees, so I send somebody to cut it down and bring the body back for burial.

Yep. Poor guy gets hit with the body following by all of the clothes falling from a couple z-levels up. His buddy is so horrified by this he stops chopping trees down.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

liquids -> o -> p -> highlight the square you want to fill -> press enter -> q

Fastest way to seal a single square with obsidian.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A fire-breathing tricepratops. Oh joy.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Conversations in adventure mode are probably my favorite thing right now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Unsatisfied with the testing arena, I've been messing with DFHack and modding the raws for a more interesting experience. Slade hammers are quite fun to go elf golfing with. I also discovered an interesting thing about playing as a bronze colossus. Though really strong and really tough, they're so slow that most everything dodges you. What they can't dodge is an entire bronze colossus flying at them. I tested this out on a demon. He dodges every punch, kick, and grab, but jumping into him was an instakill. :iit:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

scamtank posted:

were there any epics about Talos just stomping around and kicking rear end? i'd read a rewrite where a big ol' bronze-bot solves problems with body slamming

It's hard to tell since Bronze Colossi can't read and I haven't rolled any other race as an adventurer in that world yet. I'm still tweaking the race. In the first iteration I forgot to adjust for population, and ended up with a full size BC civ. With several thousand of the big guys running around other populations were...scarce. Second time around I got their population down to 182 which is manageable. There are some other funny quirks I'm noticing too. Apparently BC don't aggro undead, because I walked into a necro tower and nothing happened.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Imagine a BC baseball team with Dwarf balls. Urist cancels flee: flying.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Today I learned that necromancers can write about what they learned from slabs in books.

I don't think it makes you immortal, but it does give you the power to animate corpses. Cursecheck does show you as cursed so the night creature flag is probably ticked.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zereth posted:

Go find a stream and sit on the bottom and see if you start drowning.

Necromancers still have to breathe. Vampires don't.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh dear god I must have tweaked something in the raws somewhere, because it's my second Spring and a migrant wave just bumped my fort up to 46 adults and 51 children

Make a "nursery" burrow. Fill it with things to "entertain" the children.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No sieges yet but I'm keeping a large stockpile of spare parts just outside a fortification near the front gate.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My fort doesn't feel complete without vomit everywhere.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Creatures like that make me wish flowing liquid behavior extended to things other than water or magma. I could have a moat of vomit and a waterfall of booze in my tavern.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

nielsm posted:

But then you'd definitely need a wizard spell for animating any material into a golem-like thing.

If that's the end game I'd want to collect dwarf tears and make a golem from that. Use sponge corpses to collect "covering of eye water".

Urist McSadface cancels weep: Job item lost or destroyed

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Move the fort inside the lava, scrub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Need help figuring out some Hammerer behavior. My fort has lots of necromancers and lots of undead visitors, and many are spies. I interrogate these undead spies, they get sentenced to 50 hammer strikes, and they generally survive it. The Hammerer then gets an "Unchain Prisoner" task, but he just stuffs the offender into a cage and stores them in the animal stockpile. What's going on with that? My prison setup is nice little bedrooms with chains so the cage things is out of left field.