Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Carsius posted:

I figured most people just turn them off. I could be wrong, but they seem like a challenge that gets in the way for no real payoff.

Since we're never going to see stuff like cofferdams and pressurized sealed piping, that is the only right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

FrozenDorf posted:

Breaching an aquifer correctly is also one of the many rites of passage for any Urist McPlayer.

After 8 years, I got the license to be cranky.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

It'll be great when Toady dies of natural causes in 32 years and the source code is released. 40 years of dwarf spaghetti code for spergs to pore over and try to decode.

Someone will be mysteriously compelled to engrave all of it onto a giant obsidian monolith that will find it's way into the quad at MIT. The first full moon after that it will split apart revealing a 90 mouthed, 400 tentacled demon made of sinew and superheated steam and Cthulhu will wake from his slumber.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So I started playing again, not the new version...yet..and I have this odd quirky thing about my fortress. Every once in a while the entire fortress goes on a puke fit to end all puke fits. Like one dwarf will get nauseous and projectile vomit and then eventually it'll make the rounds to all 100+ of them and the entire place will turn into a vomit slicked nightmare. I narrowed it down and it seems to happen whenever I have my brewmaster make another huge batch of spirits for the winter season.. Kinda like the pie eating scene in Stand By Me except in bizarro world with dwarves.

Anyone ever experience anything like this?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
Nah, none spawned at that point. It's just this occasional vomit wave when I start brewing. Everyone seems happy enough, they just get all pukey sometimes.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So that puke problem I had in my fortress? Doesn't seem to be happening anymore (for now) but something else is happening that's odd and..honestly gives me the creeps..

So I've built up my military and they're outfitted head to toe with steel basically. Lots of front door skirmishes have been going on lately with interlopers, which shouldn't be odd..but...the wounded soldiers (among others) have been coming back with this odd sort of wasting disease once they're injured.

They're being put and treated in the fully stocked hospital I have like usual but then I noticed miasma coming from a couple of the beds.. When I K'd over them to see what was on the square...to my horror...I found that my illustrious doctors were stacking people 7, sometimes 8 high on single bed. That's not the gross part though...The horror comes from this odd wasting syndrome the people on the bed are going through. Going into detail screen about the dwarves finds that most of them basically have masses of rotting body parts.

So basically my doctor dwarves are creating these giant masses of flesh eating disease sufferers stacked on beds.

I wish I had saved a screenshot of this...the thoughts and feelings screen was basically one giant wall of red text detailing rotting body parts.

Ugh, I have the heebie jeebies.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

Have you encountered any forgotten beasts or titans? They can have randomly generated syndromes, the side effects of which can include making dwarves rot away to nothing. Alternatively, are you in an evil biome of any kind? Those have randomly generated rains with similar potential effects, among other fun things.

Nah man, neutral biome (typical wilds). No funny rain and it didn't spawn anything except your bog standard goblin ambushes and snatchers. I just had a tantrum death spiral so we're basically done here...but it was fascinating while it was going on.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

scamtank posted:

You're not running Masterwork with the horrible wasting diseases on, are you?

Oh poo poo...I never even thought of that. I am running Masterwork.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I kind of miss the volcanoes from years ago where they wouldn't be one monolithic shape. I hate having to sacrifice some poor schmuck to actually tapping the drat things.

Actually...Its more the needlessly convoluted method for making and engraving a proper monument. I won't lie.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

drat, it's been a while since I've read about a Fell mood :unsmigghh:

I had one about two months ago where some loving cheese maker killed my all star armorsmith during the mood. I had my crack team of elite swordslords turn him into road cheese.

He didn't even have the courtesy of claiming the forge and I didn't have any more time for elite craftsdwarves.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

I haven't really played the game because I just can't get a hang of the menus and the tile sets. But I do enjoy seeing peoples updates of funny poo poo that's happened in the game. Does Toady just decide to simulate things in the game just because? Just because he can?

How does Gnomoria stack up to Dwarf Fortress? I can play that game fairly alright, but just something about DF doesn't click with me and I want to enjoy it.

There is no other thing comparable to Dwarf Fortress.

It is it's own entity. In our universe, it is unique.

You must accept that and let it wash over you.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Seems legit.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
If Fell moods are still in the game, that could have been it too. They'll follow up after the kill with butchering the dwarf into a legendary relic, but no one in the fort will notice.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

Unfortunately that will never happen because all the papers will have is articles about themselves.

Infinite Recursion ahoy!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Dispatched two squads to deal with it too, never even got out the front door.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

It seems I have a guard Tusk Ox now. Her name is Ovassocelirise and she's the DF equivalent of the Angry Ram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
This may be a stupid question, but I downloaded the latest version of masterwork a couple days ago and I cannot, for the life of me, find where to build a magma glass furnace. I've been looking at every workshop and furnace option and it's just not there. Has anyone encountered this? I've got huge piles of sand and a source of the hot stuff and I need to get this going...

Oh, you know..For some reason it didn't trigger the magma discovery. I dug a little farther and found the actual magma chamber and it's fine now. I keep forgetting this aspect of the game (been a while since I played).

TyroneGoldstein fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 18, 2017