Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Maturation age is a creature property, not an entity property, isn't it? In which case it'd take effect immediately once you change it. (though probably it wouldn't de-age 14 year old adults or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It'll be better in the next patch where movement speed and combat speed are dissociated.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Eiba posted:

"random personality trapped in every adventurer, capable of no actions except to cry"

:iit:

New necks are weird and break my immersion in adventurer mode whenever I sever someone's neck and it goes flying away in an arc. Has anyone gone fiddling with the body definition raws to make it make a little more sense? I've played with creature definitions but the body ones always confused me.

scamtank I know you have probably done this by now

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

Now, why I can pulp someone's neck and have it explode into gore and them not actually die, I don't know.

This is what's bothering me I guess. Maybe adding the [MAJOR_ARTERY] tag or whatever the heart has would make pulping the neck cause very quick death from bloodloss?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I tried adding the [CIRCULATORY] tag to necks and throats but it hasn't worked like I wanted it to. My test human bashed another test human's neck and throat into gore with a mace but it isn't spouting blood or even seriously inconveniencing the victim. The neck and throat are red in the victim's list of body parts, but their physical description just says "His throat is bruised". His upper spine is also broken but he's still walking around and grabbing me fine.

My immersion :negative:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Everyone runs away crying now. Goblins who siege your fortress will run away crying as soon as someone bruises a knee or something.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, I want to do a masterwork LP but I'm going to wait a few months.

I totally want to see a Masterwork LP because I've never understood Masterwork at all.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That's why a series of adventurers would be ideal. Sudden, unexpected deaths to a goblin or a peasant or a river are part of Adventure mode and we can learn lots of historical facts about that goblin and that peasant and that river, and revisit them on subsequent adventurers.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

Restarting over and over does not sound really fun, nor like a succession.

I don't think you get adventure mode. Or roguelikes.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

The Gemclod corpse road would now actually be useful!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I was looking through my Legends.

:effort:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I dunno, my martial artist adventurer managed to take out a zombie elf with two punches to the skull so you just gotta step it up son

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I'm trying to create a world with dwarf vampires to migrate to my fort but I've gone through 15-20 worldgens now and there's not a single one. Human vamps are rare and I get an occasional goblin but no dwarf ones. And I want lots of them (so I can drink their blood in adventure mode too)

Anyone know what governs rate of vampire creation in worldgen? Is it just random? I'm trying to create a 'smaller island' with lots of evil tiles and megabeasts, so I don't know if that's affecting it, but I can't imagine that it would.

(I'm checking this by flicking through all the gods in Legends and seeing if they've cursed anyone, which is the only way for vampires to happen afaik)

Boing fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 11, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I also just started a new fort in a freezing tundra volcano and managed to get a necromancer invasion in year 2. Fortunately I prioritised my magma death trap constructions over sensible things like farming

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Danny Glands posted:

I really wish dwarves get their testicles back soon. I'm itching to start that .40.x LP and I don't think it'll be interesting to write about dwarves just seizing up at the sight of dead vermin.

Alternatively, you roll with it and play it perfectly straight that all dwarves are cowering wusses until they see their fiftieth dead body.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Everyone knows about vampire bookkeepers, but has anyone tried a vampire pump operator?

"You, start pumping that volcano! What do you mean, 'for how long?' "

Boing fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 13, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

At least military training boosts discipline. God knows how, though. I imagine the drill sergeant showing off a bunch of engravings of skulls and blood and all the fresh recruits are crying and covering their eyes.

gently caress I really want this coward dwarf LP.

"Had to stop planting seeds when I saw a dead rhino lizard. How fragile life is. Death is all around us. It is terrifying. "

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah my dwarves haul vermin to the refuse pile fine, they only break down when they see the charred goblin remains on the other side of the pile.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Having some trained miners and masons at least will make the early game go faster and you don't have to wait ages to dig out your dining hall and make chairs.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That could be the stone barrier to the magma sea. You dug pretty deep!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Angela Christine posted:

That is really really common now. More common the longer you let history run.

A dwarf fortress with a bunch of goblins and humans,

code:
46: Nugrethvabok, "Weatherorbs", fortress
	Owner: The Rim of Fame, dwarves
	Parent Civ: The Holy Sabres, dwarves
	116 dwarves
	20 humans
	86 goblins

A human hamlet ruled by an elf,
code:
1966: Escuare, "Inkedgood", hamlet
	Owner: The Worshipful Society, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Infamy, humans
	lady: Or Tautgaze, elf
	8 elves
	1 dwarf
	82 humans
A human forest retreat,
code:
52: Lolamaceni, "Blossomedgirder", forest retreat
	Owner: The Band of Dimples, humans
	Parent Civ: The Confederacy of Streams, humans
	administrator: Thrathdad Bannerjuggler, human
	3537 humans
	4 goblins
	1 elf
	5 peregrine falcons
	6 eagles
	2 horses
	2 yaks
	150 grizzly bears
	5 cougars
	6 goblin outcasts
	15 human outcasts
A hamlet ruled by an elf and inhabited by a couple kobolds,

code:
61: Almoab, "Enjoyedfarmed", hamlet
	Owner: The Growth of Wealth, elves
	Parent Civ: The Beards of Ruling, elves
	administrator: Adela Desertdwelling, elf
	2 kobolds
	1 elf
It's weird. No matter how messed up your civilization is you'll only get dwarfs as regular immigrants though.

Where in Legends mode do you get this information? The Sites list only has historical entries for what's happened at the various different villages and none of it is very useful for figuring out what's going on in your world.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Necromancer towers having grazing disputes sounds fantastic. I wish we could see that behaviour.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

hailthefish posted:

...Yeah digging a tunnel into a lake isn't a good way to get fish.

I wish it was. Rods and nets are so inefficient, the dwarven way to fish would totally be with an elaborate grate/drainage mechanism that dumps fish directly into the dissector's shop.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

0008469: Cutting down trees leaves a hole in the floor (if empty layer underneath)

This is fine. Dwarven forestry leaves no stump, they take the tree roots and all. Else how do you know they're really dead :tinfoil:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

Constructions are immune to everything as though they were natural walls, and in some cases even more so; for example, natural ice will melt in proximity to magma, but a constructed ice wall will hold back a sea of magma. Buildings and machine parts, however, must be magma-safe in order to hold off magma; e.g., you need magma-safe corkscrews, mechanisms, and pipe sections in order to create a magma-safe screw pump.

I could be wrong, or something might have changed, but I think heat doesn't transfer to constructions unless they are on the same tile, that is to say, constructed wooden floors will burn if under magma. I haven't tested this in a while though, so it would be good to verify.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I usually have the centre of the column empty so I can turn it into a well if I find water underneath. Unfortunately dwarves end up dodging off the stairs and falling 100 z-levels to their doom a lot.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Don't forget to pipe in a magma drainage system so you can dispose of the rotting body parts and retrieve all their iron equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

What's the thread title about? Is there a silly procedurally-generated book somewhere?