Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

0lives posted:

Sounds fantastic, especially considering you can leave fortresses you've made and they'll still be run by AI, you should be able to trade for good gear now!

Run badly by the AI. What kind of dwarven keep, able to smith spinning sawblade traps, goes down to unarmored elves? Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm honestly not sure what it is. I didn't get a message that they were found drained of blood. They were just found randomly dead. Now my dwarves are just beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other and killing each others pets.

This is why I like taking 20-30% of my fort pop and making them mostly full-time military and keeping military facilities completely separate from the fort proper. Lonely martial dwarves don't make friends. Plus, any dwarf in the military more than a year will get the feelings traumatized out of them just as a matter of course and seeing the things that military dwarves see every day.

No friends, no tantrum spirals in your military, means you always have a base from which to build off and a core of tough motherfuckers who can put down any dwarves going berzerk. Then you just hold on for a couple years of migrant waves, which is difficult but usually by that point in a fort's life, difficulty is needed to keep it interesting!

What's really gonna give you grief is making enough coffins for the bodies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

And now a giant steam tarantula with a poison bite has come. This is the last thing I need!

The sigh you emitted when it arrived was probably enough force to destroy it. Vaporous creatures are weird even by DF standards.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Jack the Lad posted:

Thank you all, guys - I'll give those a look. The flowchart to happy dwarves on the wiki looks especially handy.

That flowchart is fantastic, I used it and it really helps manage the chaos as you work through each node through an utterly unintuitive UI where every separate thing is done just a little bit differently from the others.

In addition to the guides linked, I found it helpful to play along to a video like 51ppycup or Captnduck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g_SaPQpKbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo

just because reading, for instance, the worldgen screen versus seeing a guy navigate it on video while talking you through it step by step and explaining what's beeing seen where and when and why is very different.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What is the 64 bit test he mentions?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Faithless posted:

What is the best way to stop a tantrum spiral? The game feels pretty unplayable at the moment since as soon as 3 dwarfs die all 90 of them beat the hell out of eachother until there's just 1 babbling child left and some sane migrants come to clean up the mess.

It just happened now whilst my drawbridge was up and some idiot had smashed the lever the bits. Meaning the new migrants had to build a siege tower so to speak just to get over the walls.

Have 25% of your fortress be active-duty military, and physically separated from your civilian dwarves. Dwarves training or patrolling are too busy to make friends, and dwarves that have Seen Things You Wouldn't Believe don't care too much when ordered to execute their berzerking sister. This will give you a core kernel from which to always build your fort back up with a few years of migrant waves.

Between that, and smoothed/engraved/decorated everything everywhere always, and a decent justice system to lock down any dwarves who still get a little ratchety, you should be relatively well insulated from any tantrum spirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What is the interaction between the Fighting skill, and whatever relevant weapon skill?