Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
One of the best parts of Dwarf Fortress is that you never know which needlessly complex system Tarn will decide to tackle next. Is it an extremely true to life beekeeping update? Are cloud formations being simulated based on weather conditions? Every update brings something new to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I'd also be very into a gangtag - just in time for the doom spiral surrounding the completely remade controls that annihilate a decade and a half of muscle memory for thousands.

According to a reddit post, you can enable legacy controls and let your fingers run wild

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
You know what, I'm going to miss those little ASCII guys once the steam version is released.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Calibanibal posted:

Hell yes this game rules. I'm having so much fun right now. How is everybody's fort doing

On the computer is an image of dwarves in a fortress. The dwarves are screaming.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I just want to settle in a nice mountain meadow and keep bees

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Welp, that's my first fortress flood 10 minutes in lol

It was inevitable

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Danaru posted:

Anyone find a way to get the game to pause/zoom when stuff like migrations show up? I legit keep missing them until I notice the number shot up

There is an announcement.txt file in \steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init where you can change how notifications are handled.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Lost my first fortress to a weretortoise.

The were-beast appeared at the first full moon of my second summer. He was a legendary elf herbalist who had been collecting fruits nearby my fortress when he transformed into a tortoise. I had several dwarven children who liked to play with the lambs and goat kids in the pasture outside my fortress. Unfortunately, this was the first destination for the weretortoise where he promptly put down my war dog and he tore several sheep and goats to shreds. He then went to disembowel two children before ripping the limbs off another. I quickly sent my macedwarf militia to the surface along with my sheriff to try and take down the weretortoise while my dwarves entered their burrows. Upon reaching the surface, the sheriff, who unfortunately was only equipped with copper gear, was quickly taken to the ground after which his chest was stomped on and he quickly died. Once my militia made it to the surface and upon seeing the children's limbs and entrails scattered in the trees and grasses, two macedwarves began fleeing in terror while the captain charged into battle. His arm was broken and his hand smashed which caused him to lose grip on his mace, but he managed to latch onto the weretortoise and began wrestling with the beast. In the middle of the tussle, the moon entered the waning gibbous phase and the weretortoise transformed back into an elf which caused the militia captain to lose his grip. The elf realized that he was in engaged in mortal combat and stabbed my militia captain in the eyes with a grown-wooden dagger before sprinting away from my fortress. Now the parents of the dwarven children begin a tantrum in my tavern which quickly erupts into a riot. I have no sheriff to calm the riot and my remaining military are still fleeing in terror. The captain may or may not have been bitten but it matters little since the chief medical dwarf has been killed in the riots and nobody is tending to the wounded.

Losing is fun.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Have any of the external legends viewers been updated to work with the steam version?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I've been playing all week and have not left legends mode.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Maybe my 5,000 year world will finish worldgen before then.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
If I was smarter, id program a bot that would randomly generate dwarves, humans, elves, creatures, and monsters to fight in arena, and then let people bet on them on Kick or Twitch.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Adventure mode is still fairly bare-bones. You don't appear to be able to do some key things like butcher creatures for meat, view the time of day and weather, or view quests. I did get absolutely torn to shreds by a giant eagle though!

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

a starchy tuber posted:

The "x" feature is currently disabled, so no butchering. And I can't seem to heat up the ice in my wineskin. Not great!

Right click on the fire and you should be able to heat the ice/waterskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Wolfechu posted:

Have the Dfhack guys got an update out for the beta? Any other game I wouldn't ask, but they're usually so on the ball with it...

Yes, it's on the beta branch of Dwarf Hack