Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Okay, I've never made a thread on SA and I'm just hoping I am not doing a disservice to The Book Barn by posting this here, but I have a very specific question on a deep topic that I thought other people here might be interested in looking into for themselves as well.

The topic! "The worth of a book"

I one time, while diddling around in South Carolina, stumbled on my favorite book, "A Fable" by Faulkner. But the edition seemed really old. I thought about taking it with me, but eventually put it back on the rack and walked away. I never saw that book again, but I did research it. Apparently, an original print of that book can go into the thousands of dollars. I saw one copy, mint (as was the one I found and passed up) for about $5,000 online.

So starting then, just for the heck of it, I started just buying Faulkner books specifically that were quite old. Just as a little something to do when I visit a city, I go into some bookstores and see what they've got. I never really think they'll be worth anything, but I enjoy having them so I buy them even if they're not worth the $2.00 I spend on it. And if I get lucky, well, I've got a car and student loans who could use that money more than I could use another copy of The Sound and the Fury.

So now I'm in Paris and I kind of commute an awkward way most days so I can walk past some used bookstores. And crammed into a corner of this one store, just... shining in my vision was a copy of Tandis Que J'agonise (As I Lay Dying). It's a 1934 print, the first edition of the French version. Number 586 of the first 3,100.

So the cover is very blue. The text and paper is remarkably clean, as if nobody ever opened it. So my question is, is this legit? Is this really an original print in near mint condition? What should I look for to know? Why is the cover blue? Was it rebound? Okay, I guess I had more than one specific question.

Maybe some of you fine folks can help a brother out in figuring out the worth of this. I'd be interested in not just this book, but in general book-worth as well. I figured someone here has some insight. Is this how the internet works?

(God, I hope those pictures aren't too big.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.
Awe, it's a pity. How did you find that out? I couldn't find even a picture of the cover of this book for the life of me. Though, now that you say that, it is very much like some of my American copies of his books from the 60's except blue... not red.

• Locked thread