Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Very, very few books are actually worth all that much money. I used to browse Sotheby's book auction catalogs and even stuff like handwritten poems by Wordsworth sells for surprisingly little. I remember the original manuscript for How the Grinch Stole Christmas, with Dr. Seuss's hand illustrations, some of which were never published, only sold for around $24,000, and that was about the most top-dollar book item I saw (for comparison, in the same auction a letter from Marilyn Monroe signed 'Norma Jean" sold for upwards of two million).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

inktvis posted:

Like Hieronymous said, it's probably best to be skeptical if you're trying to pin a value on something. By way of comparison, I've got a first English edition of Camus' The Fall, which is only worth about 10 bucks more than buying a new copy.

The other side of this is that it's comparatively cheap to become a collector of really cool books. Hell, when I was a teenager I bought a first American edition of the Silmarillion for $10. Hardback with a big foldout map and everything! If you keep an eye out and have reasonably esoteric tastes, you can often find early or signed editions of books by favorite authors at prices that are reasonably affordable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, unfortunately "first book club editions" are generally worthless. They're actually kindof a fun entry-level into book collecting in that regard, if you aren't too concerned about dollar value and just want to own a neat book.

• Locked thread