Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Speaking of those (And I know it's early to say this when Part 3 hasn't even started airing yet) I'm curious what the likelihood is we'll see the following Parts animated after this one. There's gotta be enough material for years before it catches up, unless I badly misunderstand how far ahead the manga is after Part 3. Hopefully it's just a matter continuing to be popular?

I unfortunately? watched the two OVA versions of Part 3 four years ago this month, so I already know the gist of what's going to happen this time out, but Part 4 and beyond is fairly hazy to me. As stoked as I am for this show, I still have to wait until then before I reach "new" material.

While I'm asking questions, I have no idea why it took so insanely long for someone to finally animate such a popular series, in whole, properly. Can anyone explain why to me? (Besides the Forum Ghost.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Zogundar posted:

Speaking of those (And I know it's early to say this when Part 3 hasn't even started airing yet) I'm curious what the likelihood is we'll see the following Parts animated after this one. There's gotta be enough material for years before it catches up, unless I badly misunderstand how far ahead the manga is after Part 3. Hopefully it's just a matter continuing to be popular?

I'm pretty sure they said right from the offset they wanted to take on all 8 current parts. Whether that translates into actually being allowed to do so remains to be seen but if Part 3 does well (and I suspect it might) it could probably justify doing the rest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zogundar posted:

While I'm asking questions, I have no idea why it took so insanely long for someone to finally animate such a popular series, in whole, properly. Can anyone explain why to me? (Besides the Forum Ghost.)

Araki is very peculiar about JoJo's in other mediums. It's why you see so few JoJo games (Five) and all of the anime adapations prior to the current anime are OVAs and one movie. Hell, there's a story going around that the reason the Part 1 movie never got out on DVD was because both the fans and Araki HATED it. Speedwagon only appeared for the Ogre Street battle, other side characters never appeared, and the movie was too short. It also featured character designs that are even more fashion victim than Araki's original ones...

I'm not saying that's not something Dio wouldn't wear, it just looks bad. This was also done by the same studio who did the OVAs so maybe this was a breaking point on Araki with an anime adapation for a while. Anyways, for the 25th Anniversary along with the 25 Years Exhibit and All Star Battle game being confirmed, the Anime was greenlit presumably to give it another go and this time it turned out really well.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yeah, and Araki does have the ultimate say on what gets adaptations; the rights for creators of media are extremely large and difficult to even wave in Japan.

Araki's approval is pretty much the grand arbiter of whether further JoJo anime will be made. I doubt David Production wants to stop since JoJo is, again, a license to print money basically.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 16, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That's really cool; it's always nice when a creator protects their product so closely. Sure, you might risk not making as much off of it, or get labled a nutjob, but when you find a studio willing to play ball it kicks rear end.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

When are we getting a Jojovania game?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Araki might have become less protective of his series a bit more over the years. If the story about the Part 5 game is true then he had a problem with doing name changes back in the early 2000s. However as of recent, he's more than willing to allow name changes for his characters and such if it means it gets published and more often than not the localization teams ask him for input on what the changes should be. Viz had stated they were contacting him for his opinion on certain changes they wanted to make and he was very agreeable and even drew them some new stuff for the Western release of the Part 3 manga.

It makes me hopeful for whenever the anime gets put out over here that it will be treated very well by whomever is handling it (Most likely Viz).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hope Araki (phone autocorrected that to Stalin. Makes you think) greenlights part 4 after this because i'd love to see that animated more than any other part.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

YES!  YES!  OH  MY  GOD!!

So hyped for this. The VA they got for Polnareff is so perfect.

I really hope they can get to part 7 some day, it has a lot of stuff that would be amazing to see animated.

Also the OP has some spelling errors and is seriously lacking in [BRACKETS]

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hope Araki (phone autocorrected that to Stalin. Makes you think) greenlights part 4 after this because i'd love to see that animated more than any other part.

Part 4 is the part where Araki starts getting seriously creative. I need it animated

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I read Part 3 specifically so that I can enjoy seeing both the changes and the similarities between the manga and the show. I went backwards for Parts 1 and 2, starting with the show and going back to the manga, so this is going to be fun.

boredsatellite posted:

Part 4 is the part where Araki starts getting seriously creative. I need it animated

I went straight to Part 4 after finishing Part 3 and goddamn did I love it just as much. :allears:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I know the board is monumentally hype for this, but I'm wondering if I'll like it as much as the previous seasons. There's no Ripple, Stands still seem kind of weird to me, and most importantly, Speedwagon isn't here to tell me exactly how to feel at everything onscreen!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HellCopter posted:

I know the board is monumentally hype for this, but I'm wondering if I'll like it as much as the previous seasons. There's no Ripple, Stands still seem kind of weird to me, and most importantly, Speedwagon isn't here to tell me exactly how to feel at everything onscreen!

You'll get used to it. Stands are cool as hell and result in a lot of the series' complexity and interesting interactions to come, as they get increasingly more bizarre, serving as elaborate puzzles that must be solved in order to beat the poo poo out of people. You remember the bits in the previous season / part where Joseph was having to come up with increasingly elaborate plans in order to solve and beat dudes? It's basically an unending stream of that without there being much in the way of power creep (much).

Speedwagon may also be gone, but there's plenty of guys around to give similar comical reactions. Avdol is pretty much the best. Once it is underway you'll understand why this is the formula Araki uses going forward.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Back when the original JJBA OVA that covered the second half of the 3rd arc came out, a friend described it as "the thinking man's fighting anime". More than 15 years later, those remain some of the best fight sequences I've seen.

Don't worry about whether Stardust Crusaders will live up to your expectations. Worry about whether your expectations will ever be the same again.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

tlarn posted:

I went straight to Part 4 after finishing Part 3 and goddamn did I love it just as much. :allears:

Apparently there are quite a substantial number of people who dislike part 4 for being more boring than part 3 and I will never understand those people

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zorak posted:

You'll get used to it. Stands are cool as hell and result in a lot of the series' complexity and interesting interactions to come, as they get increasingly more bizarre, serving as elaborate puzzles that must be solved in order to beat the poo poo out of people. You remember the bits in the previous season / part where Joseph was having to come up with increasingly elaborate plans in order to solve and beat dudes? It's basically an unending stream of that without there being much in the way of power creep (much).

Speedwagon may also be gone, but there's plenty of guys around to give similar comical reactions. Avdol is pretty much the best. Once it is underway you'll understand why this is the formula Araki uses going forward.

Yeah a thing about Jojo is that Stand Users for the most part don't get more powerful. It's all a matter of creativity, intelligence and skill.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Jojo also benefits a lot from having the story cut up into parts, which means he can reset the power scale whenever he wants to.
Part 3 was pretty great, and I am very excited to see it animated. Part 2 was amazing, but I'm glad they Araki didn't try and really "top" Joseph's antics, and instead went in a different direction. It still strikes me as really odd that the current day Jojo is so radically different from its beginnings, though.

boredsatellite posted:

Apparently there are quite a substantial number of people who dislike part 4 for being more boring than part 3 and I will never understand those people

Eh, there are lots of people that don't like pure distilled fun, and they are simply some of them.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Momomo posted:

Eh, there are lots of people that don't like pure distilled fun, and they are simply some of them.

Maybe people have different opinions and legit reasons to think part 4 isn't ambrosia handed down from up high :shrug:

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

darealkooky posted:

Maybe people have different opinions and legit reasons to think part 4 isn't ambrosia handed down from up high :shrug:

Nah, they're pretty much wrong because it really is ambrosia handed down from up high.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Uznare posted:

Nah, they're pretty much wrong because it really is ambrosia handed down from up high.

Agreed, stands are first really explored in part 4 and it makes for some really interesting fights. It also has a really fun main character and supporting cast, a great plot with lots of great twists and a really great villain.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you haven't read "Highway Star" with Highway Star on a loop, you haven't read JoJo right.

Really, one of the best parts about reading the manga in general is reading it with the relevant music blasting from YouTube in the background. Until they get the rights to every band from the 60's onward, and spend an entire season's worth of budget on Queen stuff for Pt. 4, we're missing out on the best possible JoJo adaptation.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 17, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mimir posted:

If you haven't read "Highway Star" with Highway Star on a loop, you haven't read JoJo right.

Well Machine Head was released under Warner's label...

Also we should probably try to get past two pages without talking about other parts guys!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hace posted:

Well Machine Head was released under Warner's label...

Also we should probably try to get past two pages without talking about other parts guys!

Ehhh, we're keeping the discussion intentionally vague, or at least I am. I don't really count "the fights were really cool" or "the villain was great" as spoilers. We can't really talk about part 3 very much because that would devolve into spoilers and talking about what parts are our favorites and how they are super neat or whatever is relatively harmless.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is my favorite animanga thing and everyone should read the manga so we can talk about all the super cool manga things we want to see animated.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Orgia Carnaval posted:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is my favorite animanga thing and everyone should read the manga so we can talk about all the super cool manga things we want to see animated.

You can already do that. Just not in this thread.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, we're keeping the discussion intentionally vague, or at least I am. I don't really count "the fights were really cool" or "the villain was great" as spoilers. We can't really talk about part 3 very much because that would devolve into spoilers and talking about what parts are our favorites and how they are super neat or whatever is relatively harmless.

Yeah I'm keeping things vague as well. Honestly saying a part is awesome doesn't say much because in Jojo every part is awesome really.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
I can't wait until Jojo fights Nickleback and Faith No More!!

It's actually kinda fun to spout out random bands and then see if Araki made them into bit characters yet

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

James Totes posted:

It's actually kinda fun to spout out random bands and then see if Araki made them into bit characters yet

Hey, if Araki can make villans named Cars and Wham! into cool, threatening characters, I'm sure that Nickleback would be the new love interest.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

James Totes posted:

Beastie Boy and Public Enemy's powers were so OP to begin but they actually worked really well when used in concert with Daft Punk. N.W.A was just weird though.

Does anyone understand how Travelling Wilbury works? It's like Catatonia but inverted temporally, right?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

These jokes sound like spoilers that could actually happen in Jojo :psyduck:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

It's weirdly fun to do. Just load up a music based wiki, hit random article and make your own Jojo fanfiction.

Jonathan Joestars great-great-grandfather, Sir Jonah Joestar rode into battle on his loyal steed Blink 182 and slew the vile Dark Lord Cooper and his dread snake skinned nightmare steed Black Sabbath.
In this Jojo's loyal friend who quickly falls into the background is a young jester named Easy E[dmund].

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Joey's Stand is all about synchronization, but he can't save his family without his friends. It is up to him to get the gang back together in the latest arc, "Bye Bye Bye."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'd really appreciate it if people could just pretend this anime was brand new.

I'm one of those rare people who haven't absorbed much of the cultural jojo references at all. For whatever reason, this anime brings out a lot of excited fans who can't seem to not leak something sooner or later. Even those who are being as vague as possible end up slipping a name or a place eventually.

Zorak posted:

Given that Dio's coffin is literally shown in the part 2 outro anime, and him featuring in the first episode likely, that he is relevant really isn't a surprise now isn't it!

I don't think Jotaro's motive is in the part 2 outro either. Couldn't all those character intros wait a few episodes?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So what you're telling me is I can't even write a basic synopsis of the story?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Even your avatar is spoiling too much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Popo posted:

It's weirdly fun to do. Just load up a music based wiki, hit random article and make your own Jojo fanfiction.

Jonathan Joestars great-great-grandfather, Sir Jonah Joestar rode into battle on his loyal steed Blink 182 and slew the vile Dark Lord Cooper and his dread snake skinned nightmare steed Black Sabbath.
In this Jojo's loyal friend who quickly falls into the background is a young jester named Easy E[dmund].

Black Sabbath is taken

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, this thread had a good few days before it needed closing, great.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Official site updated with the full staff info here. Notably, the composer for this season will be Yuugo Kanno.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll go ahead and add that to the OP. I haven't heard any of Kanno's stuff before this, but from what I've been hearing from the PVs they've got the music for this show down. Also, reposting this from the manga thread...

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

On a happy note, the OP for Part 3 has been confirmed as "Stand Proud" by Hashimoto Jin and ZENTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The info about the OP song is also on the website somewhere now.

• Locked thread