Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm not particularly a fan of the Viz translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know what this translation nonsense is, I watch everything in raw Japanese and understand what's happening by picking up on subtle facial cues.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When it comes to translation, sometimes a less literal translation is more authentic to the intended emotion than an actual literal one. As long as a translation doesn't make poo poo up out of the whole cloth, I fully support translations that take liberties with the literal words. There are many more ways to say the same thing in English as there are in most other languages and each one has a slightly different feel (except maybe the Slavic languages.)

As for Jotaro switching from old man to grandpa, where was that supposed to have happened? I have the volume in Japanese so I can settle that right now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Xibanya posted:

As for Jotaro switching from old man to grandpa, where was that supposed to have happened? I have the volume in Japanese so I can settle that right now.

When Joseph's spirit appears to Jotaro, in the translation I read jotaro started calling him grandpa for the whole "I know you said not to get mad grandpa but" bit and I wasn't sure if that was something just in that translation or if the original japanese had jotaro switch up what he called joseph for that part too. I'm just curious about it is all :)

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's after Dio drains Joseph and Jotaro gets Real Fuckin Pissed. For reference, "Jiji" is probably "Gramps" so have at it broe.

e: Er, yeah what Kite said.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've got the VIZ edition of volume 16 (28) open right now and Jotaro still refers to him as "Old man."

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

It's jijiis all the way down, dogg.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks! :) I was never certain if what I'd read was some fan translation or official or what, so now I know!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

I still have a grudge against Viz for making some serious terrible decisions on stuff way back when like calling Vegito "Vegerot," sticking with "Zolo" because of the 4kids dub of One Piece for the sake of "consistency" even though there's not a single person alive who likes it, and their really bad casting decisions for Naruto and Bleach animes back when I gave a poo poo about them. Plus they keep drat near every sword and attack name in Bleach in Japanese which is really loving hard to parse when it's being spoken and not read.

To be fair the only the first and last complaint have to do with Viz. Using Zolo was a mandate by Toei Animation in Japan, and Viz's dubs aren't done in-house but by other companies like Bang-Zoom.

Also I just read through some of part 4 again and the new, legible translation totally reverses the meaning of a line describing what happens with Joseph and the invisible baby when they return to New York. In the original (and actually maybe in Duwang??) it says Suzy Q flipped out thinking the baby was from Joseph having an affair and the family was in turmoil again, but it eventually calmed down and Joseph was "mysteriously" no longer senile afterwards, suggesting that his senility was another one of his ruses to get out of responsibility. in the new translation it just says Suzy Q accepted the baby with no questions asked and everything went fine.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lyricaldanichan
Jan 23, 2004

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun
It would be amazing and funny if this was the ending of Stardust Crusaders Anime.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Also I just read through some of part 4 again and the new, legible translation totally reverses the meaning of a line

For some reason a lot of translations screw that bit up. The actual line should read

Joseph returned with Shizuka, which caused Suzy Q to freak out. The ensuing argument helped Joseph get his wits back in shape.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

For some reason a lot of translations screw that bit up. The actual line should read

Joseph returned with Shizuka, which caused Suzy Q to freak out. The ensuing argument helped Joseph get his wits back in shape.

If this is the real translation I am glad it is

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is. It's also the literal ending of Part 4 and this is the Anime thread so anime only people should avoid that one like the plague.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

why are you retarded fucks constantly discussing the manga in the animation thread

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Because the anime's over and a lot of people are moving on to part 4?

Should have emphasized they were ending spoilers though, my bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:gas:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Because the anime's over and a lot of people are moving on to part 4?

Should have emphasized they were ending spoilers though, my bad.

They should talk about it in the manga thread imo

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This thread is pointless now

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

the wildest rear end posted:

This thread is pointless now

USELESS

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They probably should but I understand the caution, considering we talk about anything that's been published in there without spoiler tags unless someone in the recent posts is talking about things they're currently reading. There's obviously no way of knowing the topic of discussion in that thread from the outside and it's something of a minefield for it.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

the wildest rear end posted:

This thread is muda now

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

TL note: Muda means useless

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Aurain posted:

They probably should but I understand the caution, considering we talk about anything that's been published in there without spoiler tags unless someone in the recent posts is talking about things they're currently reading. There's obviously no way of knowing the topic of discussion in that thread from the outside and it's something of a minefield for it.

That's why I haven't really gone into it, even though I'm reading the manga now.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Xibanya posted:

When it comes to translation, sometimes a less literal translation is more authentic to the intended emotion than an actual literal one. As long as a translation doesn't make poo poo up out of the whole cloth, I fully support translations that take liberties with the literal words. There are many more ways to say the same thing in English as there are in most other languages and each one has a slightly different feel (except maybe the Slavic languages.)

A lot of people miss the part where translation is about translation ideas, not marks on a page or whatever. How close you stay to the literal verbiage is a balancing act at times; you don't want to go completely off the reservation, but a lot of times there will be words that fit the actual MEANING better in the target language than the words used in the original language. Not the least because there are nuances to get across that may require different words, or the words that fill the actual meaning in one language may not exist in the other.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Read Diamond Is Unbreakable You Goddamn Nerds

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can we just make this the "discuss jojo with spoiler tags" thread so people who are just coming off of the part 3 anime can talk about part 4 as they make their way through it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ADTRW > Let's Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

ADTRW > Let's Read Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable!

That actually sounds kinda fun, like reading a chapter a week and then talk about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The DiU anime would be finished by the time you finished up the manga.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
More reasonable would probably be a single fight/story arc per week. The longest I've seen so far is 11 chapters.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

More reasonable would probably be a single fight/story arc per week. The longest I've seen so far is 11 chapters.

That would be the way to do it imo. It may be a bit redundant to have 3 Jojo threads in ADTRW though.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

littleorv posted:

That would be the way to do it imo. It may be a bit redundant to have 3 Jojo threads in ADTRW though.

Just retrofit this one, there isnt an animation anymore anyway.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Now I sort of regret being like halfway through part 6 already...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Doesn't have to be chapter by chapter, just break it down into parts that people can be reasonably read on a regular basis and discuss it. It gives people a place to talk about their impressions of the manga without getting spoiled and this thread get s purpose too.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kill this thread Beef.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

do the lets read thing because diu is extremely cool and a lot of people should read it

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm just wondering if the thread subtitle should become "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" or "Lets Play: Persona 4 Golden"

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I'm just wondering if the thread subtitle should become "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" or "Lets Play: Persona 4 Golden"

Jo, Jojo n Kujo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm totes down for a let's read, might be fun to try to break down the art on that basis as well.

• Locked thread