Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I can't wait for this part to get even more awesome as it starts delving into the true nature of the stands and begin to explore the repercussions of those revelations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I have to agree with MonsterEnvy's point about Jotaro becoming stone faced as a defense against his uncannily accurate precognitive talent of reading people.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Dragonatrix posted:

...Stands are named after arcana. Which totally explains those cards in the OP. :iia:

For your own sake, don't look these up on wikipedia if you don't want to be spoiled (which is why I put spoilers in my post a few posts up and still remained incredibly vague)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Well, to be fair, it's probably safe to assume all the characters are dead by now, if we're going by current manga parts and the previous two parts are anything to go by. I mean afaik, none of them have immortal stand powers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sekkira posted:

Well, to be fair, it's probably safe to assume all the characters are dead by now, if we're going by current manga parts and the previous two parts are anything to go by. I mean afaik, none of them have immortal stand powers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Getting probated for speculating. Maybe you need to be less of a whiny baby.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Zorak posted:

Yes, speculating after looking stuff up on Wikipedia and after it's been posted no less than half a dozen times in this thread to not talk about future parts of the manga. The six hour probation (six hours!) was the hint to stop going down that path!

Seriously y'all, don't do it.

I looked up Star Platinum in response to the tarot card discussion, noticed the trivia based on what we already know in the series and deducted that looking up the other cards would reveal spoilers.

Based solely on how the series has gone so far, George dies early on in p1, Jonathan dies at the end of p1, p2 is set 50 years later and then p3 is set 50 years after the end of p2, the next part is probably set another 50 years later. Unless Joeseph can bullshit his way out of dying of old age, he's probably dead by the next series. But then again, this is Araki and JJBA and Joeseph, so that might well be the case. I don't loving know.

The point is that speculating a character will probably not be alive for the next part is hardly spoilers for what actually happens in said story arc.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Lisa Lisa, noted badass who has one actual fight, is fooled by the enemy, then strung up and turned into a leg guitar as he cackles evilly showing how villainous he is. This is not even recognizing her role is largely advisory prior to that.

That was more to show off how depraved Cars is. Lisa Lisa, who was far better trained and more powerful with ripples than Joeseph was just being used as a toy. He was the one antagonising the vampires, while to them, she was just there.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The op3 song almost fits with op2.

I think just like Bloody Stream, op3 (the gently caress is it called?) is growing on me more and more.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Prison Warden posted:

this is JoJo

I'm not sure I follow.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

RatHat posted:

"Back then" was 1998.

1998 was 16 years ago.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm loving the full version of Su-tand Proud! It's very reminiscent of X Japan in that era of the 80s. Very fitting for when the series is set.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_nZsTHmDs

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

hoobajoo posted:

He wasn't piloting it the first time either. Honestly, I'm surprised he managed to make it to Japan in the first place.

He kamekazes the plane into the airport off screen. He doesn't mention it because it happens all the time.

"Yeah, whoops. Sorry about that. Just send the bill to the Speedwagon Foundation?"
"Joeseph, you can't keep crashing planes and billing us for it"
"Hey, I can't help it if I get attacked unexpectedly on a flight"
"Could you maybe find a way to defeat them without crashing the plane?"
"Hey, it almost worked with Cars, one of these days it's bound to work on somebody"
"... How are you still alive?"

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Hierophant Green isn't poo poo, it's just not as good against Star Platinum. It's like saying somebody's poo poo at their sport because they god bronze in the Olympics. Only two other people in the world are better than them. I'd hardly call that poo poo.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

WickedHate posted:

It's more like calling an Olympic swimmer poo poo because they got a bronze in archery. Different specialties.

They're still only worse than two others in archery.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think it was originally tied to ripple training, hence the mention of the breathing restriction relating to the stand's power. I'd imagine a ripple trained person with the kind of stand that relies on strength would be more effective with their stand because of their training.

And I doubt it's really that Araki forgets things, but decides the direction he was heading wasn't going anywhere and tosses it to the wayside in favour of something far better. To hell with the plotholes it'll cause, trying to tie them in a neat loop would only hold him back.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Chicken or egg argument there. Did the personality effect the kind of stands that would manifest when they did, or did the dormant stand influence the personality?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

FirstAidKite posted:

I do think that listing off abilities that stands have that haven't actually shown up yet or been mentioned at all is a bad thing to do but ehhh that's not my place to decide.

I got probated for speculating about future parts based on the beginning of this part. Soooo where are the torrent of probations?

On another note, I'd really like to see Jojonium released in English. I'd buy the poo poo out of those volumes.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

And he'll make terrible puns.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

quote:

Sekkira's stand is Killer Dirt, capable of creating rock! Rank: ??

HARD.
ROCK.
HALLELUIAH.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Jotaro is the straight man in the adventure group of weirdos. He's the dude that provides the contrast so the viewer can fully appreciate the characters of everybody else.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I just realised that so far each generation, the Joestars have had a blonde Italian counterpart in their stories.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

hoobajoo posted:

Will isn't blonde, and Speedwagon isn't Italian.

But Dio is blonde and Italian

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Brando is an Italian family name

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I always assumed Dio Brando was a Brit of Italian descent.

Well yeah, he is. Pretty sure he was born in Britain, but his father or grandfather or something was Italian.

And I'd say DIO is Jotaro/Joeseph/Joestar's counterpart this season.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think you're assuming Suzie Q is less of a ditz.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I just thought it was a bit of a loose running theme with the series.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yeah, I'm well aware he renounced his humanity in Phantom blood and is part of the reason why he dropped the last name Brando in Stardust Crusaders. He loathes his heritage and his humanity. I wonder if that will be a thing the more we see DIO. I know in the OVA it wasn't, but it's hardly a spoiler for the manga or future anime because of how much it fell short of the source material.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

YggdrasilTM posted:

I think I read somewhere that some relatives of Araki are living in Italy.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past him to throw in Italians because I LIKE ITALY

Not that it's a bad thing.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

The Nazis were researching Santana to figure out how to stop him so they could make sure they could stop the three pillar men. The Nazis wasn't to take over the world, not destroy it.

If Stroheim didn't show up with the UV lights, Joseph would have died from attrition through the hundreds of vampires and Cars would have skipped away with the stone mask and aja, becoming the immortal vampire god anyway. The difference Stroheim made was having Joeseph alive to take on Cars.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

deadly_pudding posted:

Sorry, he pulled a Tommy Gun on Dire Straits. It was a pretty rough concert.

No, just Straits. Dire died in the fight against Dio 50 years earlier.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

They censored Jotaro smoking but not him drinking beer on episode 1, what the hell?!

Pretty sure it was just iced tea or coffee or something. As far as I know, all drinks in Japan are canned.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, it was a Heineken in the manga, if I recall.

I haven't read the manga. I'm waiting for Jojonium to be translated and released in English before I go and read part 1-3.

(I'll be 80 years old by then)

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Orgia Carnaval posted:

It was beer, why the gently caress would Jotaro be shotgunning iced tea?

I dunno, I thought he was just having a drink of something and what it was wasn't important.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Maybe underage drinking isn't viewed as a big of a problem as smoking is.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

grancheater posted:

Dunno why you're waiting for Jojonium, but Part 3 is the only part of the manga that's been licensed in English!

It's also apparently out of print!

The new art style and pages.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Stupid bitch.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I would love to see an interview with Araki in regards to the anime. As far as I know, he at least approves, but I'd like to find out whether he thinks it's the best possible way to adapt his work or if it's just merely acceptable, whether he has, wants or doesn't any creative input, etc.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

When Star Platinum manifested, it also grew his hair quickly. The back of it grew through the threads in the back of the hat and up. Every time he turns his hat to the side, it's to get it back into a comfortable position again.

He hasn't mentioned this to anybody because he's too stoic and polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think, the proof being Jojonium, that while Araki likes what he did 30 years ago, he isn't as happy with his old art style and has the benifit of fixing up some glaring issues (that he sees) with it. I haven't read it, so I don't know how much it's changed beyond the art, but I like to think he still looks on it as still a product of its time and doesn't try to fix up plot points that become holes in later parts.

It seems to me he tosses caution to the wind when bringing things up that would cause plot holes as trying to explain them would hold the story back.

• Locked thread