Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

at least oingo and boingo's anime names were changed to the name of an album by the police and not actual nonsense

My main issue with that change is that I like Oingo Boingo way more than The Police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

littleorv posted:

Do you call Speedwagon REO Speedwagon?

That's literally his name.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

being an rear end in a top hat is the single most important element to being a stand user

It both explains why Holly's stand is killing her and why Jonathan's stand could only activate when his body was controlled by DIO.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

holy diver sucks rainbow in the dark 4 lyfe

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

[timg]an abomination[/timg]

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you hate this image?

I saw this kind of edit on an image of Jotaro a week or two ago and all I could feel was complete befuddlement. Like how is it possible to miss the point so wildly as to end up in another dimension.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Yeah but it's not like he could do much more. He could run from them, he could stay safe from them, but he has just about literally no means of actually damaging them.

He has Jonathan's body, though. I don't think it's been touched on in the anime (I assume if/when DIO and Joseph have a confrontation, it'll come up) but he could very well have ripple abilities as a result.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I am prepared for DIO's World, Part 2

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kuvo posted:

The World's power is to make DIO so sexy that everyone wants to submissively obey him on a subconscious level

I find it blasphemous that you would suggest he has to resort to a stand power to do that. That's all DIO, baby.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Z

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

amuayse posted:

I don't remember DIO flying around like a DBZ character complete with an energy aura in the manga

Not like it's the weirdest thing he's ever done.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kanos posted:

He wanted someone to share the burden of Polnareff of being the guy who jobs all the time and gets his rear end kicked to figure out the stand user's power/gimmick.

Polnareff gets like 3x as many fights as Kakyoin or Avdol and he wins most of them. This story arc is basically Jotaro and Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure, featuring special guest Joseph. Also two other assholes and a dog sometimes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

BattleHamster posted:

I dunno man, The animation quality in the OVAs is much better than the David adaptation and if you watch the sub it gets rid of the cheese factor. Episodes 12 & 13 are pretty fun and don't stray from the Manga too much.

Animation quality doesn't amount for poo poo if the thing being animated looks like garbage.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SpartanIV posted:

That's a good thought. The two stands are also visually similar, which could mean they're related power wise.

Also, isn't one of star platinums abilities something like "super growth potential"? That makes me think he'll find a way to punch through time or something bizarre.

Star Platinum had an A Rank in Development Potential, but all that meant was that Jotaro had a long way to go before mastering it. Araki stated that rank goes down as you become more familiar with your Stand. This is supported by Kakyoin and Avdol, who had their Stands since they were kids, having a D Rank, and Joseph, being a wise old man experienced in magic kung fu, having an E. I'm not sure if Star Platinum's Development Potential rank had gone down since the beginning, though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Stardust Crusaders is weird because there are so many nothing fights pre-Egypt that overall I enjoyed Battle Tendency more because it's been more consistently great, but holy gently caress some of these lategame fights in Egypt have been amazing. D'arby, Pet Shop, Vanilla Ice, and DIO have all been so crazy good they even surpass some of the best of Battle Tendency, like Wham's fights with Caesar and Joseph.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ASB is a bad fighting game, that much is established, but a good JoJo fanservice game. The biggest issue that affects everyone, though, is that matches take loving forever. Nothing does any damage. Getting hit with a big combo that ends in a super doesn't matter because it barely takes off like 1/8 of your life usually.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

One Step Closer is my favorite Stand from Part 7.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I like Kakyoin a lot and wish he got to do more stuff in Egypt besides lose, lose, and die.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

This Ultimate Being Kars poo poo coming up every time someone says a thing even remotely familiar to him is really loving annoying.

It's also pointless because Cars is literally unkillable. DIO only got that vampire brand fake-rear end "can't die of natural causes" immortality.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

same

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

In the manga it's sort of handwaved by Star Platinum and the World literally punching the ground so hard their users fly up in the air, but they certainly seem to hang up there for awhile.

I took it as Jotaro doing that to keep up with DIO, who can just fly of his own accord because he's a vampire.

I mean really, flying is hardly the weirdest ability DIO has.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Even though Jotaro basically pulled another power out of his rear end,

It's less of an asspull than most shonen manga will do. Jotaro, who's only had his stand for a little less than 2 months, discovering he can do the same thing as the villain mid-fight, is better than having some completely unrelated power that only gets explained retroactively. There's a reason they're the same type of stand. The only difference between The World and Star Platinum is how much experience their users have with them, and DIO's got about 4 months on Jotaro.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The explanation I saw was that Hermit Purple would have been Jonathan's stand had he developed one, and that's what DIO is using to counter-track Joseph.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Hamon is useless against stands, pretty much, so it wasn't going to win Joseph any fights.

Yeah the only time it would have really been of any use is against Vanilla Ice or Nukesaku.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yes, its me Dio jivjov! Yeah, I still love DBZ a whole lot...but the lack of ENDLESS FILLER in JoJo just dethroned Dragon Ball

I mean let's be real here, like half of the pre-Egypt opponents were basically canon filler.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I will not hear the first half of Part 3 besmirched.

I am all about good fights like Yellow Temperance, Death 13, Hanged Man & Emperor, Empress, and Judgement, but there are some real duds in that lot. Wheel of Fortune, Sun, Strength, and High Priestess are all pretty nothing aside from a couple of great moments like the laughing fit during Sun and Polnareff and Kakyoin's awesome hi-five during Priestess.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

It just bums me out to read people saying "Part 3 doesn't really start until Egypt," "The first half of Part 3 sucks," "the first half of Part 3 might as well be filler," when there's so much great stuff to be had. Heck, three of those four fights you singled out are only an episode each. That's five episodes out of two cours. Don't sell the rest short.

I wasn't trying to trash talk it, it's just that things were pretty up and down and it was clear at a couple of points that when Araki decided on the whole tarot theme that he didn't quite realize he'd have to just sort of cobble a couple of ideas together (because really, Wheel of Fortune and Sun are pretty low effort ideas). There are a lot of mooks, jobbers, mercenaries, and random jerks with superpowers who come and harass the gang, with very few encounters having any major plot significance. It just has villain of the week syndrome, so it winds up feeling like filler to a lot of people. This is, of course, fight quality notwithstanding. Some are great even if there's nothing actually gained from it happening, like Death 13.

There's very few dips in fight quality in Egypt (you could argue for Alessi because of the weird subject matter) and overall it seems to just get better and better as it goes before the final stretch with the D'Arby brothers, Pet Shop, Vanilla Ice, and DIO where it's basically nonstop awesome. This helps alleviate the lack of story progression or plot significance in a lot of them. For me, I just wasn't particularly jazzed about some of the more standard/less exciting fights. Dark Blue Moon was pretty much nothing. It may as well have not happened, and we wouldn't be missing out on an awesome fight or some critical piece of story. I felt like there were a few too many episodes like that where my reaction to a new episode was "yeah okay time to watch JoJo I guess," whereas lately it's been "gently caress YES TIME FOR JOJO"

I guess an easy comparison would be pre-Egypt Part 3 is like the Phantom Blood to Egypt's Battle Tendency. Except twice as long.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 14, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

gnome7 posted:

After the multi-hit combo of Blue Moon, Strength, and then Wheel of Fortune all being super boring episodes, my girlfriend actually ended up dropping Stardust Crusaders entirely, and she didn't get back to watching it until we could skip to N'Doul (after a quick detour with Judgment for plot).

I would definitely recommend she go back and watch Death 13 because that's one of the best ones IMO, and its lack of plot makes it easy to just watch as a one-off.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I was a little underwhelmed by Justice but I guess it was mostly due to how it was resolved and less what actually happens, because thinking back the goofiness with Hol Horse, Polnareff, and Enya was pretty fun.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know what everyone's talking about quite frankly because Alessi was great

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

When was it supposed to be out originally? I read a few weeks ago that the dub was A Thing That Was Happening but I didn't ever look into it any further.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Joseph's voice actor in English is apparently Ben Diskin, who's been in a fair amount of stuff, but it's all either something I don't know, as an "additional voice" or super minor role, or a role where he's doing a really non-standard voice that doesn't help me picture what he'd sound like as Joseph.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dio's always been way into books, he spends all his time in Part 3 in his library or bedroom reading and the first time you ever see him on screen in Part 1 he shuts his book angrily because his dad interrupted him, I wouldn't be surprised if he's taught himself like 9 or 10 languages over the course of his life. You know how those evil prodigy children in anime are.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dias posted:

I don't know poo poo about anime's expected return of investment, but I'd wager part 3 did well enough that part 4 should be a theoretical lock, right?

With all the care and detail they put into JoJo I don't think they care much if it turns into a megahit. The narrative seems to be that they did Season 1 out of pocket on a shoestring budget to get a good reputation, got a deal to do some easy cashgrab otakubait like Neptunia so they could fund Stardust Crusaders, and if that sells well they can keep going with the next few JoJos, but if not they have alternatives. Hopefully there's a shorter wait for Part 4 than for Part 3 but it seems to be about as well liked as 3 so I can't imagine they'll just stop now. Once it gets to 5 and 6, that's when it might get dicey.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

citizen kane clapping dot gif

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really liked it but kind of a bummer that the resolution to the entire Dio thing was just another star platinum punch.

I disagree. If it had been anything else it would have just been wrong. Jotaro solves problems by punching them a lot. When he can't punch enough, he stops time in order to squeeze in way more punches.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Caesar and Iggy were beaten bloody, persevering as long as they could to try and fight just a little bit more. They went out like champs. Kakyoin a little less so but that was due to a number of narrative decisions like having him absent for most of Egypt, losing his only fight before DIO, and having a tragic childhood backstory shortly before his ultimate trap that was one of the most obvious death flags I've ever seen. But even still, his last moments were spent selflessly trying to help Joseph by giving him a message about DIO's power so that the other three might have a better chance. Same thing with Caesar and Iggy giving Joseph the antidote ring and pulling Polnareff out of Ice's path.

Avdol, to me, was a much more powerful moment. It's just so unexpected and sudden. Even though they show you Ice's power, Avdol getting blasted out of existence before a fight even starts is loving crazy and not at all how I expected him to go out, even though I knew beforehand that he died due to accidentally spoiling myself. The image of his severed arms being the only pieces of him left is striking.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Having only glimpsed at stuff here and there from parts 4 onward and that "beginning vs end of part art style" chart, i honestly prefer the look of Battle Tendency to everything else. I read through it and Phantom Blood a few months ago, and absurdly proportioned musclemen aside I just think it's more appealing to look at than crazy hair and outfits decorating everybody's identical faces.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's just an extension of the whole "Jotaro and Polnareff ate up way too much screen time" issue. Joseph, Kakyoin, and Avdol really don't get to do that much. Like I know the easy response is "well yeah b/c polnareff owns duh" and yeah I love him but he really got a disproportionate amount of focus. Even spending large portions of the story out of commission Kakyoin and Avdol barely got to do anything when they were around. They're all great but Red and Green were underrepresented in SDC. Purple as well but I feel like as a JoJo and the sort of leader of the group Joseph got more of a fair shake than the other two.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I caved and started reading Part 4 a few days ago.

It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Pretty sure the prison was the first time Jotaro and Joseph met, though. Unless you're saying Holly inherited it, which seems plausable

Considering the way they talk to each other in the prison I seriously doubt it. Living overseas means they probably didn't see each other more than a handful of times in Jotaro's life but there's no way Joseph would just not visit them for 17+ years.

• Locked thread