Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Vagithug posted:

Was it really because of that? I imagined that he read a book about spirit powers and thought it sounded cool.

Yeah, as we go on and see more creative stands they're pretty much all X-files level stuff depicted in a way conducive to fighty mans manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rothgil posted:

So how old is Joseph right now? Does he look old because he's lived longer like Straizo eventually did or is Lisa Lisa the only one who retained her youthful looks?

It's been 50 years since BT so Joseph's somewhere in his late 60s. He's in pretty good shape, but he didn't keep up with his training like Lisa Lisa did, so he more or less looks his age.*

Straits' aging was dramatically slowed by his ripple training, but he was getting pretty crusty in the beginning of BT so I just assumed he was super old, especially since Lisa Lisa was 50 but looked 20.

*Edit: with the exception of being pretty well-built. But yeah Joseph is a pretty lazy guy and without any vampires or pillar men out there to worry about he probably just put the bare minimum into his ripple skills, as opposed to other characters who took their magic solar kung fu powers a bit more seriously.

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 19, 2014

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kanos posted:

Stands are really hosed up if you think about it. People killed by Tower of Grey would just have their tongues mysteriously ripped out and people killed by Magician's Red would burn to death without visible flames.

I think it was mentioned in this thread already, but a lot of Araki's ideas for Stand abilities come from ESP, unexplained phenomena, mysterious deaths, etc. since that was all the rage in the late 80s.

So the next time you read about spontaneous human combustion, you'll know there's a Stand user going around with an ability very similar to Magician's Red...

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
That video will always be incredibly :3:

I think this came up in the general thread a long time ago, but doesn't the dad read JoJo to the kid as a bedtime story? You've got to wonder how the dad manages to make it fit for two-year-old consumption.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Jotaro's had the hat since he was a kid, eventually it stopped fitting so he had to take out the back :ms:

How it stays on is a mystery for the ages, though. Superglue?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sekkira posted:

Picturing Araki throwing a tantrum over it.

"You guys ruined Stardust Crusaders in the 90s! You shat on its corpse in the new millenium and now you do this to Phantom Blood!? gently caress YOU GET OUT. Maybe these David Productions guys can do something with it..."

All I know about Araki's personality comes from the little notes he puts in each volume of the manga, but he really doesn't seem like the kind of person who would throw a tantrum about anything.

He does get unreasonably upset about people climbing trees, though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Are there any good translated interviews with Araki? I couldn't get over the existence of Strength so early in the story and wanted to figure out what the kind of person who would come up with that was like.

I think he gave an interview about what he thought about All Star Battle when it came out. Also, if you want to know more about the mind behind JoJo a lot of his author's notes are translated and give a pretty good insight into what kind of a person he is.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Angry Walrus posted:

What the hell.

It's a reference to this.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Yeah, Polnareff can't see through Silver Chariot's eyes because of its armor.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hey now, Straits was a beautiful man.

I'd say vampires that were turned by the stone mask have about a 66% chance of being beautiful (Dio and Straits vs the guy Dio experimented on, who didn't end up quite so pretty).

Vampires that were bitten by other vampires instead of getting turned by the mask have a 100% ugliness rate.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hol Horse once tried to imagine DIO in his underwear to avoid being intimidated by him, but it backfired spectacularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ba9_jaN7EA

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Monaghan posted:

Dio is ruining Jonathan's body by not providing it with enough vitamin D.

He's providing it with an ample supply of a very different kind of vitamin D.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Moltrey posted:

Kakyoin's flashback made it seem like some Sixth Sense poo poo where seeing this weird ghost that only you can see makes you feel isolated and scared. Of course, Polnareff wasn't like that as a kid so I guess Kakyoin likes to be dramatic.

Every kid reacts to having their own punchghost differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Chris Squire, Bassist and Co-Founder of Yes, Dies at 67
:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjAgl1dQBk

• Locked thread