Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Housh posted:

That dog has the most beautiful eyes.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

no one is exactly sure what's going on with the situation but it's known that one of the head dudes at david or whatever really wants to at least animate arcs 4 and 5 at the least and araki's favorite part is arc 4, so there's a pretty good chance that we'll get something after stardust crusaders as long as it still looks profitable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

without going into any real detail there's only one arc that's basically nearly entirely detached from the rest of the storyline, so while arcs 1-3 technically are sort of a 'package' they're definitely not all that separate from the rest of the series in the grand scheme of things. i'm just going to be hopeful in general since david really loves the series and araki would probably fund arc 4 entirely by himself if he could since he enjoys it so much.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there are stands that have way less overall usefulness than tohth, and really the only reason they failed is because they're kinda stupid

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

keep in mind that the prediction happened before oingo ever even got in the car. he wasn't required to disguise as jotaro at all and there were many things he could have done to prevent himself from getting roped into that situation. tohth is all kinds of useful but they really did fail because they're stupid. at least oingo is.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny, because i don't think the whole 'user too weak for the stand' thing ever comes up again and in the end it's just a convenient plot device that gets ignored later in favor of things that are less boring

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Jouske had the same thing as Holly happen to him and Koichi was too weak for one at first.

i kind of assumed that koichi was a fluke since he would have absolutely died if not for josuke, and the arrow's effects range from 'you die' to 'you get a stand' without any real inbetween involving the stand slowly killing the user. also with josuke i also assumed it was a slight holdover from part 3 just to connect them??? araki works in mysterious ways.

on a non-spoilery topic, khnum and temperance doing similar things aren't the first or last time it's going to happen, because some stands have mild amount of overlap in what they do. khnum is ultimately better at the 'copy' thing but doesn't do much else. temperance kinda has it as a side thing just due to it being some weird goop poo poo. some stands are definitely more useful than others without needing much input from the users to make it that way. mixes it up, if nothing else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

calling last train home 'elevator music' is pretty bad because muzak sure as hell isn't remotely as good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how they pay attention to little details like jotaro spitting out his tea in a more reserved fashion than the others

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 25, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty fine with whatever as long as it's not more creepy as poo poo orangutan shower peeping stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, basically

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dias posted:

I'm very sad that Lisa Lisa was basically jobbed out in S2, she was supposed to be a badass and barely got to demonstrate it. Doubly sad because she's the inspiration for my SF girl, Rose.

lisa lisa not getting more of the spotlight is a crime, and if later bits of the series say anything it's that araki can do really cool lady characters as long as they're actually given the chance to show off the neat poo poo they can do. he needs to include more, in my opinion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hoobajoo posted:

Araki actually later apologized for how women were depicted in earlier JoJo, and set part 6 in a women's prison to sort of make up for lost time. He said that when he was younger, he thought men were a certain way and women were a certain way, but as he grew older, he realized we're all the same. He always acts a little embarrassed when he reads old JoJo, which is adorable. :3:

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

afaik araki wanted lisa lisa to be more involved but his editor said it wouldnt work for a shonen audience

well, that's good to hear! i wasn't exactly demonizing araki or anything but there was definitely a shift in tone later on in the series. probably had to do with it moving more into its own thing instead of being a product of its time. (hell, the series doesn't even become quintessential jojo's until arc 4)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why did you skip part 4

e: oh, this is the anime thread. anyways, yeah, stands in part 3 are a little one-dimensional.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing to remember about araki is that he's a huge fan of western media. he's also a great cook and immortal, but those are unrelated.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

9 is definitely waaaaaaaaaay too fuckin much of an estimate

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The actual fight is only 30 seconds long and the rest of the episodes are Polnareff being stuck in Dio's bathroom.

as someone who has read the entire series i can back this up. got some sweet as hell bathroom scenes coming up, folks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the ova only had so much space to fit everything into which meant that they basically had to condense it down to a spattering of fights where a lot of action happens, so there really wasn't room for anything to lighten the mood

it was genuinely a really poorly thought out idea, all told

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean, there's probably something to be said that they should be watching out for weird poo poo but seriously who wouldn't want to touch a fancy electrical socket on a rock out in the desert next to the poopin hole

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

joseph isn't in any way stupid in arc 3. he just doesn't give a poo poo most of the time and has different priorities because he's legit a senior. when it comes to situations where being serious is needed he's right there and ready to go.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jojo's nazis are uncannily more intelligent than their counterparts in other series, so it's obvious that it would have worked in those.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at least oingo and boingo's anime names were changed to the name of an album by the police and not actual nonsense

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm genuinely surprised that this is two episodes. they really could have squeezed it into one, especially if there hadn't been so much weird filler.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the horror movie plot connection only happens in arc 3 and no one owns the rights to the concept of a possessed car or evil living doll so no one in existence would or should ever care about it. there would be nothing hypocritical at all about that particular aspect of the series, especially when compared to the fact that there's a shitload of characters and whatnot very clearly named after musicians and whatever which is more defined than 'there is an evil doll that is trying to cut someone up'.

araki won't ever pop out and try to sue someone over that crap, and it's not because of hypocrisy. it's because he doesn't give a poo poo and the series is over 25 years old at this point, so if anything any similar designs/whatever would probably be considered a tribute to jojo's by those creators due to it being more or less a staple that's been around for decades.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the d'arby fight is really good and y'all should be looking forward to it. if it means anything, the OVA had only a fraction of the fights that this does and d'arby was one of the few.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the astute will note that over the course of stardust crusaders more focus is put on the actual users instead of either keeping them basically unknown except for the 3 seconds before they get punched half to death or having them get messed up offscreen. just think back to the user of the tower stand, that big-rear end beetle that ate people's tongues. the user was just some random old fucker who looked remarkably normal. there were some fights where part of the mystery was figuring out who the user was, like dark blue moon or strength and that drat ape. beyond the initial mystery and/or surprise at who the user is, they had really no character behind them. another notable example is arabia fats, the user of the sun stand. as the arc goes further along, it's pretty easy to see that araki starts to give more of an actual personality to the stand users once it gets to the egyptian god ones. for example: mariah, the oingo boingo brothers, n'doul, alessi, and now d'arby whose 'fight' is one big focus on the actual character itself and how he's a cheating fucker. hell, even anubis had some characterization despite being stuck in a sword.

it's that focus on the actual characters (along with their stands) that helps the series improve and keeps it from being entirely a 'villain of the week' kinda thing. every arc after stardust crusaders keeps it up and gives even really minor characters SOME sort of a personality and it's part of why jojo's bizarre adventure is still incredibly unique despite going on for over 25 years

anyways, d'arby is great.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

umalt posted:

Just gonna say; I was among the people who said in the first half of the series, "this is pretty good, but it's not Battle Tendency..."

I feel like it doesn't need to be said that at this point SC owns balls over BT; aside from the fact that craziness doesn't compare to the sheer fabulousness that is BT. But am I right in getting the impression that part 4 ramps up the fabulousness again?

part 4 is fabulous in its own way. it's a little more laid back than the previous couple of parts but it gets really tense at the times that deserve it. overall it's definitely more character-driven from the start than stardust crusaders is and while the stands are still important there's more focus on how the characters themselves use them based on how they act towards others and the world around them and it works really well.

for actual fabulousness, yeah, part 5 is probably where that starts coming back in full force

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if it helps, stardust crusaders is the edgy 90's kid of the series that starts to grow up once it gets solidly into the second half

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only stuff that has a chance of being more than two parts or is guaranteed to have more than two is the last couple of fights at the end of the arc

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

littleorv posted:

I Imagine I'll pick up the manga and start at Diamond is Unbreakable after Stardust Crusaders ends. Other than the first few chapters of Assassination Classroom I haven't read any manga before so that will be exciting I suppose.

i guess this info is to help out anyone who's inspired to read the rest of the series, but:

if you're going to read diamond is unbreakable, avoid any version of it with incredibly horrible-looking translations because arc 4 has the infamous 'duwang' one which is absolutely horrid. people like to joke about it, but it's really not funny 99% of the time as much as it's entirely incomprehensible. better translations actually do keep a couple of the lines that are 「Good!」 so make sure you find a version that looks vaguely professional instead of one that looks like text blocks layered on in ms paint. it only became known as a thing in the first place because the duwang translations were the only ones people had for a little while.

arc 5 also has some translation issues in that apparently what we have available is a little flat, but you should generally be okay. some people are working on an updated version which should improve on things, but the ETA on that is more than a little up in the air.

the rest of the series is translated just fine and you should have no problems

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyways, to bring the topic back to the first 3 parts, the anime is definitely the best way to go about seeing those. david is doing a wonderful job of animating them, and if nothing else you should definitely wait to see the end of stardust crusaders through the show and not by reading ahead. the eternal question is how far the anime is going to go through the series, but at the very least you shouldn't read the manga of a part that's being released at this moment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Million Ghosts posted:

Also don't be a wiseguy and just jump into Part 4 cause you'll spoil a bunch of poo poo right away.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eonwe posted:

im on episode 5 of Jojo season 1

this is some crazy poo poo

but its good

welcome to the entire series so far. at least all 8 parts and 25 years of it that exist.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eonwe posted:

im a good way into part 2 and it has only gotten better

it's only uphill from phantom blood

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Shukaro posted:

I seriously don't get why NOBODY has retranslated part 5. They literally make poo poo up, it's the worst.

i mentioned it before but someone is in the process right now. i guess it wasn't much of a priority before since what we have now is technically okay compared to other stuff that's been in worse shape, but at least it should be available at SOME point.

e: beaten

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i liked that episode of dawson's creek

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the old arc 3 fighting game being the best one gameplay-wise is kinda depressing because the new one(s) have janky controls but they're legit the best out there as far as outright fanservice goes. the level of detail is immense. we just need a great developer to make a modern fighting game and then the curse will be broken.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stardust crusaders gets better once they get to cairo and everything from d'arby to the end is really good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

stardust crusaders gets better once they get to cairo and everything from d'arby to the end is really good

i'm gonna keep quoting this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

he was excited to go see caesar

• Locked thread