Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
As another point of comparison, early Part 3 is proliferated with loudly-declared "Signature moves" such as Star Finger, Emerald Splash, and Crossfire Hurricane, of which only Emerald Splash ever sees much use again. Araki's "Board game" approach to Part 3 was, itself, an attempt to dodge the dreaded power pyramid associated with most tournament arcs, so you really do get a sense of him playing around with the tropes of his day only to refine or discard them.

Additionally, as Part 3 goes on, there's also an increased emphasis on enemy stand users. Early you on you get a lot of fights like Tower of Gray or Dark Blue Moon where the identity of the user is a secret, but not particularly important to the fight itself. A lot of them don't even get named except in supplementary materials, and their personalities are suitably one-note. Gradually though, Araki starts penning more memorable villains who participate in the fight, whose personalities are instrumental to the flow of things, rather than just the roots by which a particular random encounter is relevant to the story. In the official English release of the manga, pre-Egypt chapters tend to refer exclusively to the name of the featured stand, after which chapters name the stand and the user (and sometimes even just the user).

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Exactly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Compare that to N'Doul using sound to guide his Stand, Oingo and Boingo needing to handle fights directly due to their Stands' lack of offensive capabilities, or Anubis, and you can see there's a marked difference.
There are even fights later on, in Part 3 and elsewhere, where the user is actually more dangerous than their stand, the stand just provides some condition or consequence to raise the stakes.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 9, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Also a lot of nods to various horror movies.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Off the top of my head:

Tower of Gray - Alien (its tongue attack)
Dark Blue Moon - Creature From the Black Lagoon
Strength - Some haunted ship movie I can't recall
Ebony Devil - Child's Play
Yellow Temperance, the Empress - The Blob
Wheel of Fortune - Various killer car movies (think Death Proof but older)
Justice - Night of the Living Dead
The Lovers - Fantastic Voyage (though not explicitly a horror movie)
Death XIII - Nightmare on Elm Street

Araki loves horror movies. Dude even wrote a book about them, by which I mean a for real no funny pictures book.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My money's on six episodes, though I guess they could squeeze it into five. There's quite a bit going on.

Kurtofan posted:

( the story arc is 16 chapters long, for reference).
18, actually. :eng101:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's almost like Joseph's third-most defining character trait is laziness.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Joseph operates on the same logic that lets you pull a tablecloth out from under a pile of dishes without disturbing the pile.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The horror movie influences start to die down around Egypt, though there's a great one coming up in the next fight.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Vel posted:

If you want to see this on steroids, check out these fansubbers (and people who can't speak japanese) insisting that 'nakama' has some deep personal meaning for the characters in One Piece. It's hilarious. http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Nakama_Translation
Reminds me of an Internet argument I sat in on once concerning honorifics. Some guy posted a screencap from Star Driver, I think it was; cocky reckless dude storming up to his robot while his concerned female friend is calling out, "Name-san! Name-san!" The guy dared anybody, ANYBODY in the thread to think of ONE SINGLE WAY this line could be translated into English without honorifics without sacrificing the implied friendship context.

First response: "Name! Name!"

EDIT: Reading through the nakama discussion, I like how the one guy who presumably actually speaks/reads Japanese is capable of giving coherent arguments why it should be translated, after which some other guy comes in, "Yeah, well, it seems most of us want to keep it, so majority rules."

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I think we as a fandom have accepted that if Jojo's going to be a thing in America, name changes have to happen, and most people generally don't mind anymore.
I'm still bent out of shape over Steely Dan, considering the band Steely Dan stole the name themselves from a book.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Is there a rough estimate of how many episodes we have left? There are some upcoming「fights」that I'm really quite excited for.
The whole season should clock in at 24-26 episodes, most of them two-parters, with the finale being anywhere from four-to-six.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It was the 80s.

For all Jotaro knew, Polnareff was just a trendster.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm genuinely surprised that this is two episodes. they really could have squeezed it into one, especially if there hadn't been so much weird filler.
Alessi's fight only lasts five chapters in the manga, but there's enough going on that a single-episode adaptation would feel too compressed. There's also a pretty important (single) chapter right after, which'll definitely take up the second half of next week's episode.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always liked how Alessi hitting Shadow Dio turned him into severed-head Dio with Wang Chung for leg support.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Zeruel posted:

Wait I need it to be clearer: is Polnareff representative of children or big business
He's the Next Generation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's actually a pretty interesting doujin where Dio succeeds in his plan to use the stone mask on Jonathan, turning him into a vampire. Jonathan runs away from home to avoid endangering anyone, wrestling with his new nature, while Dio gets the inheritance as planned, but is constantly paranoid Jonathan will return to take revenge.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki stated in an interview somewhere he's got up to Part 9 planned out in his head, so who knows.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's also infamously traced.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Niel posted:

Huh, this sounds interesting. What's the title of it?
Towa ni Shinu Made, or "Till we Eternally Rest."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sekkira posted:

Going on the OVA, I thought the next fight was going to be a single episode. I wonder how much filler is going to be put in to stretch it out to 2 or more episodes or how much was actually cut out of the OVA to make it 1 episode's worth.
I believe I've said this before, either in this thread or the other one, but the original OVA ran 35 minutes an episode, so it's not exactly a proper point of comparison.

That said, there was a scene I expected this week that didn't happen, making me think well get it next week to fill in some time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sekkira posted:

The OVA spent 7-8 minutes on the credits and intro as well, so I can see how you could fit the next into a single episode. I can also see how some parts could be added for filler to stretch it out to 2 and still not outlive its welcome.
While most televised anime take around 3-4 minutes. I actually watched the OVA recently and noticed some bits they cut or smoothed over for pacing, so there's that as well.

But there's not really much point in either of us arguing about it since they already confirmed it's a two-parter. Throw in the scene some of us were expecting last week and it'll easily fill the time slot. They wouldn't even need filler.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to learn Joseph completely neglected his hamon training between Cars' defeat and Dio's return. Not like any vampires popped up in the interim requiring his delicate touch. Then the Speedwagon Foundation finds Dio's coffin and, "Oh man, gotta remember how to do this, breathe in, breathe out."

I've seen a lot of people rag on this bit but Araki Joseph forgot is literally the only answer required.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zXzzSxlDoo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

With Dio out of the picture Jonathan finally gets around to the day-to-day perils of managing his dwindling estate.

This fall: Joestar Abbey.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Also why is Dan of Steel the one that really gets your goat? It's still pretty recognizable at least
Also works well as a "Man of Steel" riff with the implication of invulnerability.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I always call him ACDC since he's pretty unambiguously named after the band.

That said, Esidesi's a clever way to keep the reference without getting caught up in red tape so it gets my stamp of approval.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Esidesi and ACDC are pronounced functionally the same. If it's a matter of typing it out, I'll take the low road.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

E. definitely stands for Edward. O. could stand for Outrageous for all we know.
Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki took the Fist of the North Star theme to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cVumvzY5c

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Excuse me but the Hotline Miami 2 thread is in the games subforum thank you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah man, that's five of a kind. Wild card.

Some versions of Poker don't allow for it but D'Arby considered it a possible hand for Jotaro to have so I guess he okay'd it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I have no idea how anyone can consider the new anime the definitive version when it doesn't even have the Aztec sacrifice scene at the beginning.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

The same will probably be true for the other remaining OVA > Anime fights, even though the anime will always remain faithful.
For as good as the OVA nails N'Dour and D'Arby, it absolutely butchers its third fight. Literally the only way David Productions could make it worse would be by cutting it completely for time or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

WickedHate posted:

The OVA also cut out a lot of the card game padding and got straight to the point.
The OVA cut out a lot of everything to get to the point.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The original Jojo adaptation (OVA episodes 8-13) was the product of a time when it was assumed your prospective audience was already familiar with the source material and just wanted to see some of their favorite bits animated. Consequently, bringing this stuff overseas sacrificed a lot of context as more often then not we were denied the bigger picture.

Another example of this would be Teito Monogatari, better known in the West as Doomed Megalopolis, an attempt to cram the better part of a 10-volume "Not even remotely a picture book" novel series into four 40-minute episodes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Doomed Megalopolis was great and made sense to me but then I also happily watched the original JoJo OAV knowing only that and what I gleaned from the Capcom fighting game.
Didn't mean to imply it was bad, just that a lot is going to fall through the cracks.

"Why didn't they just fly to Egypt?" is a pretty insignificant question in the grand scheme of a series dedicated to meeting new people and beating them up, but it's that kind of lingering plot thread or absent explanation some people are bound to complain about. :allears:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There are no bad Jojo episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Alessi was outsmarted and outmaneuvered by a literal child.

Outsmarted and outmaneuvered by kid Polnareff.

• Locked thread