Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Davinci posted:

What's illusion of animation?

:nws: if you're really sensitive I guess

Avoiding actual animation by using still frames, editing tricks and flashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Joseph would be all about the counter traps.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

Joseph's deck would be full of counter traps and other cards that lock his opponent down.

His winning turn would always be some absurd reversal like Jackpot 7 or Barrel Behind the Door to switch from losing to winning in one turn.

I do love stands but I really miss Joseph being an rear end in a top hat who wins at the last second with some ridiculous trap. I loved the Empress episode even if 90% of it was "look how useless Joseph is now."

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Million Ghosts posted:

To be fair he Hamons what, once? In Stardust Crusaders. Probably hasn't overdrived in years.

He tried to use it on Empress, and he uses it to kill the flesh bud implanted by Dan of Steel.

RatHat posted:

Hamon is basically useless against non-vampires/pillar men anyway.

I mean, except when it isn't. He could still be using it to launch things and there was that one time where supposedly it could stop Suzie Q's heart if Caesar didn't also use reverse ripple at the same time, and Caesar was using it to mind control people, and both of them used it to turn spaghetti into a deadly throwing weapon... ripple pretty much does whatever except when it can't.

E: also it could heal people for about two seconds in Phantom Blood and then never again.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 23, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchy doesn't do poo poo. Any censorship you find is how it aired.

Well, I mean, the subtitle stuff is them, isn't it? Last episode they were clearly saying "Oingo" and "Boingo" on the audio track.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not loving censorship, though.

It's basically the same thing as changing the book to say "Brothers Adventure" instead of Oingo Boingo, which was the original thing being talked about?

I honestly can't read this episode as anything except Joseph knowing it wasn't Jotaro the whole time. I mean, he went from being paranoid about being poisoned to "oh well you dress and act nothing like Jotaro, probably not an enemy stand." They've already encountered an enemy stand that pretended to be Kakyouin, after all. Everything he does is consistent with that, too, they're just loving with this poor idiot who's clearly screwed, and then when they see the person in the same clothes he's like "oh I guess it was this guy"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there are stands that have way less overall usefulness than tohth, and really the only reason they failed is because they're kinda stupid

I mean, clearly Khnum is worse because you can't copy for poo poo. You can't change anything except your own body and you don't get any kind of information that would let you act like them, or even the actual properties of the body, just what it looks like. Plus, you'd want to disguise yourself as a stand-user at some point probably, and it can't copy stands, and once you're revealed you have absolutely no ability to actually fight people who have stands. Khnum is pretty terrible.

Empress is still the worst stand, though, because all it can do it kill people and it's really, really bad at it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Empress seems pretty powerful, it just didn't beat Joseph Joestar, noted asspuller.

If it's weak enough that Hermit Purple, noted non-combat stand could tear it apart, I'm pretty sure anyone with a stand that fights people could destroy it instantly.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Joseph Joestar is a known sadist. Just ask Donovan.

Or Cars.

Oh man, the thing with Kars was fantastic. "That's a total lie, but it'll drive him crazy!" You already launched him into space and you really felt the need to make him think it was your master plan just to piss him off?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I think this episode was interesting as well as funny. The question is, if the stand's predictions influence the future by telling the brothers what to do, doesn't it get to decide the future to some degree? Clearly it deliberately steered them away from a full-scale fight with the crusaders in order to keep them alive :v:

It seems to have a much more direct influence on the future, that stuff with the cafe with a lot of really specific coincidences to get them to drink the poisoned tea.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tarezax posted:

Nah, the prediction is always right, but their interpretation can be wrong. I happen to like these monkey's paw kind of prophecies so there :colbert:

Fereydun posted:

this is the greatest crime of kakyoin being put out of commission by araki. though i guess that would also ruin the concept of the whole thing where the two dumbest and rudest members of the group seem to either be completely tuned into the guy's plan or absolutely oblivious to what's happening and neither the guy nor the reader can tell which one it is due to how dumb and weird they are

I'd just like to add that all the book says is they didn't know they were being ATTACKED. It's totally possibly that they knew Oingo wasn't Jotaro but didn't think he was attacking them yet and never figured out the orange bomb, and only threw it away because Iggy had been slobbering on it. I'm also not entirely sure that the narration parts are actually Tohth's predictions, or if it only predicts images and the narration is Boingo interpreting. It would make it more reasonable that "Jotaro" wasn't actually Jotaro if it was just a picture of him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, Khunum is kind of a unique stand, it's the only one so far that has absolutely no manifestation. Even stands that are based on a non-physical power like Hermit Purple and Tohth have an avatar, but Khunum is totally formless, it just gives the stand user a power.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

That's true. Out of all the Crusaders, Avdol's likely the only one who knows most of the Egyptian gods and he was out of commission for this fight. Jotaro wasn't around either, Polnareff's an idiot and I doubt Joseph would've been interested at all in Egyptian mythology before finding out that the Egyptian gods are all stands.

I dunno, Joseph knows all sorts of random facts, especially about foreign cultures. It wouldn't shock me if he knew a bunch of Egyptian gods, or at least enough about them to go "hey that drawing looks like an Egyptian hieroglyph and Khnum sounds like an Egyptian name"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

That's not a very useful observation considering they're in Egypt already surrounded by that stuff.

This is the same band of assholes who beat up everyone in a bar because one of them might have been a stand user.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aurain posted:

Caesar would have something like Khnum, Empress or Dark Blue Moon.

Cos, y'know,

Why is Dark Blue Moon on the level of Khnum? There's a lot of water in the world.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, Cars was definitely the weakest of the Pillar Men before becoming the Ultimate Lifeform. Caesar would've taken him to school.

It was dark when they were tussling with Kars though, so his trump card was worthless. I mean slashing ripple bubbles are nice and all but it was prisms reflecting the sun that made him dangerous.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

raspy trashfucker posted:

what statistic is at each corner of the hexagonal stand rating chart
From the top, clockwise:
Destructive Power, Speed, Range, Durability, Precision, Development Potential.

E: The Crusaders are
Hermit Purple:

Silver Chariot:

Magician's Red:

Hierophant Green:

The Fool:

Star Platinum:

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 30, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also here's Anubis' hexagon.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not really what it means by development.

Honestly, don't fuss yourself too much with those stats. They're just vague fluff that doesn't really matter.

Jojo's Wiki posted:

Development Potential/Learning:
Measures the Stand's possible functions and utilization of its abilities and powers.
[...]
To elaborate on the Developmental Potential attribute, it decreases in rank as the user masters his or her Stand.

:shrug: So I guess it just means Jotaro doesn't know anything about how to use Star Platinum as of yet.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PiedPiper posted:

I summon help from anime gurus: where do these hexagon character stats originate from? I've seen those in several different databooks, including Naruto, Fairy Tail and even Death Note, but who used them first?

It's not just an anime thing. It's called a radar chart, I guess animes just really like using them to display things as opposed to bar charts or whatever.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

Is Jotaro the DMs best friend or something then?

Jotaro is the new guy who made a character who punches people because it's cool and so the DM lets him do cool stuff that he thinks up.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

Speedwagon, Caesar, Stroheim, Kakyoin, Polnareff, and Iggy are all introduced as antagonists to various degrees.

Caesar was introduced as an ally, actually, Joseph just finds him initially annoying and so immediately picks a fight with him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Jotaro beats the silly "I know your moves now!" thing by just not doing the exact same movements like any normal person. "Oh you memorized... me punching you I guess. *punches the stand in a different way*"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zeruel posted:

I like how even 50 years later, Joseph is still a big fuckin idiot.
More like 50 years later he turned into an idiot. :colbert: 19-year-old Joseph was a dope but he was a battle savant, 69-year-old Joseph apparently went senile because he has completely forgotten everything he ever knew about turning a fight around. Empress was the last dying gasp of Joseph's ingenuity.

I can only assume that the man who used string to conduct the ripple multiple times to kill vampires will fail to kill a vampire when he has the power to create infinite string and leave his grandson to do it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

That's not true. The Pillar Men (with the possible exception of Eisidesi) were superhumanly intelligent.

Eisidesi is literally the only pillar man who could even start to keep up with Jojo's planning so I'm not sure why you'd peg him as the dumb one.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Joseph is probably the most short-changed of the main characters Stand-wise, for instance. Its fortune-telling abilities are useful as support, but in a fight it ends up being significantly less useful than the others' Stands.

Notice how the two enemies that Joseph has fought so far have had non-conventional gimmicky Stands.

It would actually be incredibly powerful in a lot of these fights if he could get it do anything reliably. Tons of the fights have relied on the stand user being hidden while their stand destroys the crusaders, if Joseph could use spirit photography to find them they'd be much less threatening.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
E: I forgot you can crosspost from other threads because I'm dumb:

Mr Tastee posted:

Context: It gets mentioned in Part 3 the above Jojo became rich in the real estate business.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 17, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

:allears:

I was disappointed in the lack of "your next line is" but at least we still got Joseph switching instantly from "I have lost" to "you have lost"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That was great, Bastet is the dumbest stand ever and I loved the stupid tricks Mariah kept pulling with it :allears:

I feel like she spent a lot of time dicking around with creating awkward social situations instead of killing them, but for once it's actually justified because the more time she wastes with them being embarrassed the stronger the magnets get. Also clearly DIO has been harvesting the legendary Japanese battle data because Mariah was pretty confident about Magician's Red and Hermit Purple's range.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 21, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Prison Warden posted:

Did Jospeh use his ripple power with the water in the sewer to propell hiself before he smashed into Maria?

I'm actually not sure what he did. The first time I thought he was just using hermit purple to hold himself in place until the magnets got strong enough to pull him to Avdol but I rechecked it and it's just water. Looking at the manga it's even less clear :psyduck:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't he just holding onto a sewer grate to keep himself tethered to the ground?

I guess, but that doesn't explain why he flies up rather than just forward or why the water follows his hand up out of the grate.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how Mariah just looks so :( about her plan to kill them not working before she makes that weird face. :allears:

I don't think she made this face, though, did she?
Not the exact same face, but same idea.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think there's a real way to embed tumblr videos in BBcode so here is a link to a sweet opening crossover(embed version to spare you tumblr layouts)

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 22, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rexides posted:

I watched the GG subs of the the first two parts, and I enjoyed every single word of it.

The official subs had Joseph call hamon a "gimcrack" so clearly it is superior in using obscure period language :colbert:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

This would also be said for young Avdol and Kakyoin

Lil baby fire chick and goo alien :3:

Meanwhile Joseph wouldn't have a stand but he'd remember how to knock someone out with the ripple and that's probably a net loss for Alessi overall.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

So? there have been some really weird coincidences like that before. I mean, it probably IS based on Stroheim but as far as I can tell there's no proof.

Your honour, my client is accused of copying this "Star Wars" with his "Ster Wares", and yes, they are very similar, but I cannot find any interview where my client admits it so as far as I can tell there's no proof.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fungah! posted:

there's a character whose literal name is REO Speedwagon

Excuse me, that's Robert Edward O. Speedwagon, thank you. Some people claim the O stands for Orville but I don't know if that's confirmed.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

Well, again, Araki getting mad someone ripped off one of his characters and straight out uses one of his names would be...curious.

But yeah, Japan is much less litigious over these things. Hell, they have the whole doujin market as proof of that.

That's not why Araki would be kind of questionable for chasing after copyright. I mean in the US it's an issue, but it's not like Araki's characters are really derivative of the bands they're named after, he's just using the name. The reason it would be a bit hypocritical is because he likes to copy the plots of horror movies for stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I propose instead of TGIF we use YIFF: Yes, it's finally Friday.

• Locked thread