Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The Sun is probably inspired in part by Lawrence of Arabia's scene where they cross the desert, since Araki obviously had it on the mind, but poo poo going wrong when you cross the desert is used so often that he likely just took the concept and put a JoJo's spin on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kuvo posted:

Someone please post a screen-shot of joseph after jotaro makes that "I don't want to fly in a plane with someone who survived 3 crashes" comment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

e X posted:

That censorship really didn't do anything.

Seriously, Jotaro's smoking habits get harsher censorship than faces being split in half.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

What if Jotaro smoked a dude's face in half?

Censoring that would be criminal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kabanaw posted:

The Death 13 chapters came out in 1990. Final Fanstasy 4 was out in 1991. :ssh:

Everything comes back to JoJo's in the end.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zeruel posted:

I can say with certainty that I haven't wanted to see a baby get ORA'd/EMERALD SPLASHED to death before.

Thanks, JoJo. :allears:

That baby killed an innocent dog/dire rat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Torquemadras posted:

Among the bystanders, Speedwagon is king.

Joseph is the best at commentary, even if he isn't a full-time bystander.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mango Polo posted:

Great episode. But why the hell are they still doubting each other when one of them says something freaky is going on. By now they might have learned that said freaky stuff only happens because of other stand users.

As far as they knew, nothing was wrong to begin with.

Also Kakyoin's cherry thing is really creepy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Vagithug posted:

How did you feel that they kept showing the baby wiener?

Between Goku and people with kids on my Facebook I barely notice anymore

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Looks like I need to get cooler Facebook friends.

I don't think they've ever fed any of those baby their own poop so I doubt their coolness

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Jotaro might not be as colorful as most of the other characters, but he's a fantastic straight man for everyone else's goofiness. I'd definitely take Anime Clint Eastwood over a total snore like Jonathan, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, the hilarious part is it wasn't planned at all, Araki genuinely meant to kill Avdol off in the fight with Hol Horse, and only brought him back because of overwhelming fan feedback.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if David Productions has been deliberately emphasizing the things you mention.

In the manga, if I'm remembering correctly, Avdol looks way more clearly dead than he did in the anime. I think it's a neat touch.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Eeevil posted:

Seriously, Goku is the example people are going with? That series explicitly had a plot contrivance for bringing people back to life.

Seriously, you want some bullshit plot armor, look at Bleach. Motherfuckers getting gashes the size of traffic lanes across their chest and being totally cool as long as someone wraps it up sometime this year. It's only after Kubo decided to quit after this arc that he decided the character sheet can use some pruning.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Soulcleaver posted:

Every episode of Jojo has at least one of the good guys getting stabbed/shot/superpunched (usually in a vital area) and/or leaking gallons of blood and barely feeling it or slowing down even as they formulate their plan. Then they don't have as much as a scratch next episode because it's not called Jojo's Lay Down in a Hospital Bed for Two Months to Recover and Still Have Permanent Injuries Adventure. I'm not trying to insult you, I just don't get why you'd pick Bleach as an standout example of bullshit biology in regards to the effects of combat in fiction.

Well all anime and manga have ridiculous bullshit, I'm not saying they don't. Some just throw out everything we know about biology way more than others. I'm sure you can pick crazier poo poo than my example, it's just one of the series I'm most familiar with. Despite what you're saying, Jojo's is actually much better about it than other series. At least people actually die from their injuries.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Darth Walrus posted:

With attendant rainbows.

I know people were grumbling about the lack of fabulousness after Battle Tendency, so it's nice to see this season getting super gay sometimes. Insofar as non-consensual muscleman watersports can be described as 'nice'.

It can be described as "Nice~!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm beginning to think everything is gay.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Spoiler: Polnareff has to use the bathroom multiple times each day

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Rewatching the Judgment episode, I can't help but wonder if HAIL2U would make a great license plate.

You know the answer is yes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

Man they got a sub and were still attacked.

It's kind of a shame that part 3 is only from Japan to Egypt. I want to see them get attacked while using increasingly weirder forms of transportation; particularly dog sled, you know Araki would do something loving crazy with all those dogs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Kabanaw posted:

• ate god knows how many people through the 80s

The 80's were fuckin' weird man, don't judge.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

darealkooky posted:

Jotaro probably couldn't beat ultimate cars tho

Jotaro wouldn't need a volcano, he'd just ora Cars into space.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Star Platinum would beat ACDC and Cars at least. Not sure about Wham.

Wham might be the easiest, given how willing he is to step right in someone's face for no reason despite his incredible ranged abilities.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

Holly clearly should've enrolled Jotaro in Cromartie High.

Anyone with Joestar blood is explicitly banned, mostly out of jealousy.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can robots have stands?

If the robot has sufficient spirit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Please tell me this is an actual joke they left out of the anime because I don't remember explicit Jojo references in Cromartie, other than basically everyone looking and acting like a Stardust Crusaders character now that I think about it

I have never seen the series so I would be shocked if it were true.

But goddamn are the Joestars pretty.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If they couldn't call Dio by his name this entire loving concept would be worthless.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thumbtacks posted:

What concept?

Doing an anime of a really old manga series. I mean, even the notoriously lovely attempt before got DIO right.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't mind most of the name changes, especially if they cleverly skirt copyright law or are virtually the same anyway. It's just, DIO's gotta be DIO.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thumbtacks posted:

what the gently caress is happening right now

Well, he's using his hair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
When I watched the first season, hell when I first read the manga, I saw most of the first part, started part 2, then skipped ahead to Stardust Crusaders.

Part 2 is really good, don't skip a moment.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

raspy trashfucker posted:

at the beginning of jojo all the characters had more facial muscles than normal people, but the number gradually reduced until in the latest arc everyone's faces are completely paralyzed

lol it's like you didn't even watch the last series.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Meme Emulator posted:

I know it might sound like blasphemy but I skip the OPs and EDs when im marathoning a show. I dont need to see the same drat sequence every half hour.

Heck, I usually skip EDs outright because theyre generally just too somber and boring, even for action or comedy shows. I dont think I ever got through any of the Nichijou EDs even though that was a rare show I stuck through all the OPs for.

I usually do the same, but this series has really catchy music. Battle Tendency especially.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Beef Waifu posted:

Some clips of the dub are being uploaded here.

DIO! :syoon:

I really hope they make this a reality (beyond whatever the gently caress this was to begin with). I know a lot of people who would be down for Stardust Crusaders but are put off by the concept of anime. A dub would go a long way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
poo poo, Stardust Crusaders would really fill a slot on Toonami after Space Dandy's done with. I'm a bit surprised they haven't grabbed it already.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't know what this means

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCC8KYwLvo8

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

umalt posted:

I need to share this so that I know I am not the only one who will be wallowing in more than one form of anguish today.

OH MY GOD!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Never watch the OVA, it's the most disappointing thing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

MelvinBison posted:

Except for that one episode. You know which one.

Yeah, it's more or less impossible to gently caress that one up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Genocyber posted:

I don't see a point in reading the manga since the anime is basically the same thing but better.

To figure out what the gently caress happens and then come back in January super pumped to see all your favorite moments again, but animated.

You don't lose anything, really. Stardust Crusaders is cool that way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

Part 5 is just as popular as part 3 in Japan, and to get there, you gotta do 4.

This would also mean that English speakers can finally have Part 5 translated into something resembling human speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Torquemadras posted:

It's like book readers lording over movie adaption viewers! Only with manga, there is no intellectual superiority to be gained whatsoever.

Seriously, though. The anime is so ridiculously close to the manga, there's no reason to read it if you've already seen the show. The only real reason to read the manga now is to experience the glory that is JoJo without waiting several years. If you ask me, the anime will clearly be the superior version from any standpoint, ONCE it happens - it gives the creators some chances to fix stuff like plotholes and other inconsistencies, and there are many little additional scenes and callbacks. That's just what you get from a loving adaption that happens long after the original.

Not spoiling anything, but: the villains in later parts are such spectacular hams - hell, everybody is... I can't wait to see how the voice actor tackle the Part 4 big bad. :allears:

Literally no one is saying the manga is better though. It's just a matter of if you want to wait for a decade for the story to catch up.

• Locked thread