Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I upgraded my CR account to premium specifically for this. I completely forgot that you get 2 weeks free, too, so that was a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The OVAs are alright if you consider them a standalone series, but as a Jojo adaption, they're not good.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That makes them bad by definition. They convey absolutely nothing about what makes Jojo's a great series as opposed to a generic musclebound dudes punching things show, with the exception of only one scene (and it would take a miracle to gently caress that scene up anyways.)

I strongly advise not watching them no matter how impatient you are; you'll enjoy part 3 more going in blind.

Yeah you're right. The only thing they have above the new series is better animation, but there's no flash or style at all.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Fun fact: Jotaro was drinking Heineken in the manga.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I like to think that Dio had an extra coffin for Wang Chung, because what good is an evil overlord without a minion to boss around?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I apologize for reposting dumb tumblr pics but this was just too funny to me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeah they do mention breathing around the 14:25 mark.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Being splashed with toilet water has never looked more fabulous.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

All I have to say to that is "keep watching." You might think a Stand seems lame or useless at first, but the real draw is what they can do with their Stands. Your initial reaction might be "that's it?" But then you go "wait, he can do THAT with it?!"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

This season is only covering part 3.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The anime is at least trying to address some of the plot holes as they come up, judging by how you could see the Joestar birthmark in the first season and they made it so Dio's coffin had a second compartment for him so (somehow) fit in at the same time as Erina.

The coffin in the manga had a second compartment too.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

It would be better if no one talked about future material at all. Let's let the Jojo newbies enjoy what they have right now.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

In somewhat related news, part 2 just got added to Crunchyroll.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Hace posted:

One of them is literally titled "The Ties That Bind JoJo"

Yeah I don't much care for how they translated the titles. "The Ascendant One" sounds lame compared to "The Man Who Became a God."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So CrunchyRoll simulcasts don't have subtitles? This is my first time watching one.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Ahh shoot I should have looked for an option or something. Stupid me.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

gat drat, I love how they're really giving him the "mysterious evil overlord" vibe this season.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Srice posted:

Crunchyroll.

I'm just worried how badly they're going to butcher some of the names, considering they made "Blueford", "Donobang", "Sanviento", etc.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Were those changed in the CR release or were they just carried over from the official Warner subs that came with the Blu-Rays? Because if it's the latter I'd say it's kind of unfair to take that as indicative of whatever CR's going to do for name changes. Although I'd honestly just be glad as long as they're not the dreadful changes from All-Star Battle.

CR did those. The Blu Rays had the real names.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Condiv posted:

It did weird me out when Joseph was snapping his fingers at avdol in the first episode, but it's not that big a deal.

Snapping fingers is racist?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Condiv posted:

Nah, but it seems like a pretty disrespectful way to treat a friend. I also found it weird how Joseph didn't bother to introduce Avdol to his daughter.

I don't think Joseph is racist towards avdol at all, it's just weird behavior from a guy who introduced his grandma to a pickpocket.

Friends do "disrespectful" things to each other all the time.

Alternatively, Joseph wanted to get Jotaro's attention. Like, "hey pay attention because this is the guy who's gonna kick your rear end if you don't get out of the cell right now."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Like past parts I'm gonna be getting the soundtrack as soon as it comes out. It's been great so far.

And oh man I just can't wait to see what the ED will be. Still holding out for Holy Diver, cuz you know, DIO's been down too long in the midnight sea.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Just as Stands are more powerful than humans, they're also more durable. Star Platinum punching Hierophant Green is like Jotaro punching Kakyoin.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

That scene near the end showing off everyone's Stands killed me.

"Star Platinum: Superior strength and precision"

"Magician's Red: Control of fire"

"Hierophant Green: Long range and Emerald Splash"

"Hermit Purple: Can take pictures"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So back on topic about the currently airing show!

Joseph + airplane = absolutely no crashes at all

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Crunchy better not make any loving references to famous French landmarks next week.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Some of the Stands are abstract in their representation of their corresponding card, while others are more literal. The Chariot is one of the literal ones. When you think of chariots, you think of knights and swords and stuff like that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dio probably just made them all draw cards randomly. (while keeping the best one for himself of course)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I'm all for the extra Joseph scenes, in fact, I like to think they're adding them to make up for the OVA where Joseph had no personality whatsoever.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

If you're thinking too hard about the stats then you're missing the point of Jojo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

The only similarity between Ripple and Stands is that they both draw from life energy. It's like how both a car and a chainsaw use gasoline, but they're completely different things.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

...And? Does it really matter whether it's "canon" or not? That sounds awesome regardless.

It's really weird. Not even Jojo weird, just weird. It's little better than glorified fanfiction.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Which is weird because Straits did precisely that.

Unless "below a certain size" means, like, microscopic level.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Considering that the stats are practically meaningless when it comes to actual battles, they're hardly spoilers.

Reminder: This is a series where a kid from New York used string and small iron balls to finish off an entire race of ancient demigods.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Gotta admit, "Captain Dragon" is pretty clever.

And man do I love Polnareff's poo poo eating grin after everyone recites their corny lines.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 9, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Supersonic Shine posted:

Wasn't homoerotic enough.

You say this despite the bad guy being a musclebound sailor wearing a skin-tight shirt and a scarf.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

That photo was taken before he got Star Platinum. Ergo, we can surmise that a side effect of getting a Stand is having your hair take over your hat.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Is it just me or was Dio saying "Enyaba"? Is that her canon name now?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

It just means "Old Enya".
Actually the italian translation calls her "vecchia Enya"...

Well poo poo if that isn't the luckiest trademark skirt ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Am I the only one who thinks a monkey being named after a Wu-Tang album is really really unfortunate?

I mean, this is Araki we're talking about, and he's not exactly known for his cultural sensitivity, but jesus.

I don't follow.

• Locked thread