Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
At the same time, they had to cut a few things to fit parts 1/2 (which even combined are shorter then part 3) into 26 episodes.

It's weird, when I read through part 3 I thought it was cool but it didn't really effect me that much, but after they officaly announced this anime I suddenly went OH MAN I HOPE THEY ANIMATE SCENE X OH MAN AND MOMENTS ABC WERE SO COOL AND WOW I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHEN THAT OTHER THING HAPPENS :supaburn:

The improved animation and the music from the trailers being totally loving rad might play a part in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

There were only two cuts from Part 2. The first one was that Joseph didn't shove a cactus up that one Nazis rear end he met in the desert, and that was probably cut for censoring reasons. The other was a pretty long slapstick routine where Joseph sprays ketchup and mustard all over a pickpocket that tried to steal from Lisa Lisa, and that was probably only cut for pacing reasons, to get the episode to end on a cliffhanger. Lord knows there were enough long pans and reaction shots during the Wham and Cars fight that could have been cut to make room for it.

True, what they cut wasn't very important.

Unfortunately for part 3, there aren't really any moments like that (unless they cut some of the cultural sidenotes). Even if technically most of the fights are filler they all have really cool moments in 'em.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 16, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Momomo posted:

Eh, there are lots of people that don't like pure distilled fun, and they are simply some of them.

Maybe people have different opinions and legit reasons to think part 4 isn't ambrosia handed down from up high :shrug:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Maremidon posted:

They might just stick with Roundabout and make it the constant theme of the series.

I hope they do this, if only because the way the credits from part 1 flowed into the credits of part 2 (and continued the song) was a really cool effect.

There's juuuust enough length in roundabout to cover 6 1:20 or so segments, so they could theoretically make some elaborate Joestar family tapestry thing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Vagithug posted:

I want all the good and cool stuff to be animated and none of the lame and boring stuff to be animated.

There are no "lame and boring" parts to part 3.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Four chapters in one episode, meaning if they (somehow) keep that pace it would take about 37 episodes to cover everything

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The abilities in part 3 might be a bit more mundane then in later ones, but those mundane powers are used in really clever ways. It's only the first episode and the concept literally just got explained, give it a second ya'll

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

The more I think about it, the more it doesn't make sense. If you can have cool and complicated fights with spirit pokemon, you can have cool and complicated fights with the ripple. Part 2 did a pretty good job in that sense. Switching gears with a whole new power set seems unwarranted. Yet if Araki hadn't done that, would he not have become famous? Could he have articulated a stereotype the entire industry copied if the ripple had remained?

Maybe the anime will explain it later, but so far switching powers feels pretty ham-fisted.

People have covered most of the stuff I was gonna say, so let me just add that ripple is only really effective against vampires

The simple fact of "I don't need to set every one of my fight scenes at night/in a building with no windows/underground" adds tons of potential

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Jotaro's speech towards Kakyoin was loving NAILED PERFECTLY OH MY GOD. Every part of it is loving brilliant. Rest of the episode was a little eh but that's probably a consequence of the material

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

So whoever wanted to see more of Jotaro's character, here it is.

There's his big rant about "hey I'm kind of a punk but I know what is just" because it was the last 80's and that character was just getting popular, and there's his little moment where he shows he really does love his mom deep down

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

There was an entire scene about Joseph peeping on a woman showering and showed her naked rear end.

Some tits that happen to fly out for 10 seconds at most is something to complain about, why?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

One of the things I really like about Jojo is how different each part feels, I'm glad this is keeping with how the anime is being handled.

Having op/ed that were just trying to be like the last season but more better-er is a recipe for eventual failure.

They sure are taking their time with things, aren't they?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Rothgil posted:

So how old is Joseph right now? Does he look old because he's lived longer like Straizo eventually did or is Lisa Lisa the only one who retained her youthful looks?

Given he was around 20 at the latest during the 30's when he was fighting aztec-vampire-gods, and this takes place in the late 80's, he's about 70. Let that sink in.

Re-watching the episode, and I noticed that when Abdul is reading books he just has a big flying ball of fire for light. Practical uses for anime superpowers are always pretty :allears:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

There was a part V beat em up and a part I beat em up, but from what I've heard they are both awful. The only good Jojo games are the two fighting games, which are both very faithful to the manga.

The part 5 game is okay, the fighting is pretty engaging and it has decent character variety and replay-value. It looks a lot better then most other ps2 games you could play in 2002, and the story stuff is done well.

Part 1 game IS terrible though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Even without that character, there is a very clear cut set of characters that are good that stomp all over everyone else, 3-7 matchups are the norm in that game.

There's even a 1-9 matchup because one character can't avoid a characters unblockable super so every time you knock them down they lose 40% of their health.

Still lots of fun tho.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Even the old woman has insane 80's shoulder pads.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Kakyoin did say something about how the emeralds were a "vision" so maybe it's (even more) of a psychic attack then the other stands.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Polnareff still owns really really hard

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I think that means "it can move far away from the user" not "can attack at a distance".

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

There's literally no good reason besides "OF COURSE this is going to happen, it'd be a tease if it didn't" for cars to suddenly have the time to grab the stone, attach it to the mask and put it on all in the span of a few seconds (during which he was getting his rear end kicked). You really can't blame Strohiem for using the only weapon of his that hasn't been shown to be muda against cars ASAP when he's up to his knees in vampires and poo poo.

Even before that, without Strohiem Joseph wouldn't have survived against Santana, meaning he wouldn't hook up with Ceasar/Lisalisa to train (because he'd be dead, and if not he still wouldn't have that info) meaning the pillar men would kill all the other ripple masters because they're dumb idiots that try to DBZ people instead of using tricks, which would result in them taking over the earth and Cars would eventually became the ultimate life form anyway, only now there's no Joseph there to asspull him to death.

What I'm saying is that Hitler did nothing wrong :godwin:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dark Blue Moon looks way better with color/animation.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Stretching it out lets them pretend he was a total joke fight that was over before the commercial break.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 10, 2014

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dio has a rockin outfit though, kinda makes him look like a Castlevania character.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

same

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The recent mobile game disagrees.

Phantom Blood game had a stage where you play as the random aztec dude from the opening and murder all of your fellow aztecs with your new vampire powers.

e: whoops that didn't even happen in the anime

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The recent mobile game is just a silly tin pin thing, I've played it it's harmless enough. It's got F2P elements, but that's all phone games.

I'm prejudice against f2p mobile games but I love me some tin pin so maybe I was wrong :shrug:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Was that bit between Enya and Dio expanded from the manga? I remember his little speech on fear and desire or whatever, but I coulda sworn that instead of Enya just going HEY I SENT A BUNCH OF DUDES AFTER HIM the reader only learns about Emperor and Hanged Man after Jotaro interrogates Yellow Temperance

also oh god Forever is so much more unsettling when it's moving and making dirty ape noises :gonk:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I always assumed star finger was something the editors forced him to do so that the main character had an actual attack to yell out.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Nah, I'd say things Get Good (or at least very silly) either next episode or the one after.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The issue with trademarks boils down to "it would cost us a lot of money we can't spend (because we're a poor anime/video game company) to be taken to court by some jackoff lawers only for the case to get laughed out of court" so they sidestep the names altogether

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I always thought this fight was neat because it's the first time a fight scene actually needs stands to work, but wow that animation :allears:.

Was that bit with polnareff getting a lawyer in the original? I remember GHOST TV but not that bit.

Beef Waifu posted:

Next week is one of my favorite fights of Part 3, it is something special.

We may not agree on many things, but I feel you deeply.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Devo was a goddamn moron. What if SIlver Chariot pierced just a bit deeper and got to his brain? And he lost an eyeball, if he loses another he'd probably have to reitre, since it would only be that much harder to provoke a victim into hitting a blind man.

Maybe Devo is actually really clever, and he's aware how everyone in jojo world survives vicious wounds all the time so he's okay with hurting himself to power up.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

The capcom voices used an insane voice filter for everyone because it was a dreamcast game, that wouldn't sound good coming out of a TV

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

jyrque posted:

I'm usually pretty anal about frame drops in games but I honestly don't see any of that in JJBAASB.* >:v:< I wonder if the early Japanese release had more noticeable problems with it and it was patched out in time for western release? :smuggo:

yup, this is a thing that happened

You can still do things to really choke the framerate though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

DIO is just being a proper Dracula, sitting on his throne while Belmont Joestar makes his way through all of his minions

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Is it hatred, or does he love dogs SO MUCH that showing someone murder them is the best way he knows to say "this dude is an rear end in a top hat"?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

yo that manly hol horse voice

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Forgot all the awesome buddy cop poo poo that goes on between kakyoin and polnareff

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Emperor is a gun that can't be taken away, has unlimited bullets, can curve shots to avoid something that moves faster then the eye can see and he can just hide it whenever he doesn't need it. He doesn't need higher firepower when he can just direct his bullet into your brain every single time.

If hol horse wasn't cowboy as gently caress (and didn't have a life philosophy about how it's better to be #2) he'd could gank pretty much anyone.

"If it wasn't for *character flaw*, he would've won" is how most jojo villians lose, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

Silver chariot has the same speed rank as SP and the muzzle velocity of a handgun is way faster than whatever redirect Hol Horse could do.

yet jotaro can catch a bullet, while polnareff (who has the same speed) couldn't catch emperor

arguing about jojo powerlevels is dumb, but it's pretty clear hol is a faster shot then a regular gun

• Locked thread