Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, I'm assuming that Dio has Hermit Purple because of Jonathan?

And jeez, is there anything that Star Platinum can't do? Jotaro could make a career as a professional artist with his Stand. Not to mention a surgeon.

Y'know, provided no one actually looked at him while he was operating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A friend of mine who seems to know Jojo better than I do mentioned that Holly's Stand is apparently just called "Holly's Stand".

So I guess it's separate from Hermit Purple or something, even though it looks a bit similar.

As far as Jotaro's stand, the best I can figure is that due to him being "Kujo" instead of "Joestar", his Stand changed as a result?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 19, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

While the first two parts are great and the third one looks like it's shaping up to be just as good if not better, I can't help but wonder how Star Platinum beating the everloving poo poo out of Hierophant Green didn't just break all of the bones in Kakyoin's face.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I assume you havn't read the manga? well then let me spoil something for you:
It's going to be amazing.

I've seen a few excerpts from Part VI, I think. (That's the one with the female Jojo, right?)

But aside from that, no, I have no familiarity with Stardust Crusaders, save for a certain meme that would be considered a spoiler.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That scene near the end showing off everyone's Stands killed me.

"Star Platinum: Superior strength and precision"

"Magician's Red: Control of fire"

"Hierophant Green: Long range and Emerald Splash"

"Hermit Purple: Can take pictures"

Sure, Joseph's Stand seems a little silly, but I honestly would not be surprised if they end up fighting a guy whose Stand is a 300,000 yen camera.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jotaro is Clint Eastwood?

That... actually explains a lot about his behavior up to this point. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

e: Never mind. I see it now.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 22, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The sub is out already?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alright, now I've seen it myself. I didn't expect the plane fight to be so short.

But hey, it's the other guy from the OP.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Battle Tendency, I wonder if Joseph still keeps in contact with Smokey.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

After all of the in episode talk about how the Tower represents a sudden end to a journey and all, I decided to look up the tarot definitions for the others.

Star: The beautiful images on the Star (17) attest to this tranquility. The woman pictured on Card 17 is naked, her soul no longer hidden behind any disguise. Radiant stars shine in a cloudless sky serving as a beacon of hope and inspiration.

Hermit: The Hermit (9) represents the need to find deeper truth. The Fool begins to look inward, trying to understand his feelings and motivations. The sensual world holds less attraction for him, and he seeks moments of solitude away from the frantic activity of society. In time he may seek a teacher or guide who can give him advice and direction.

Hierophant: Eventually, the Fool ventures out of his home into the wider world. He is exposed to the beliefs and traditions of his culture and begins his formal education. The Hierophant (5) represents the organized belief systems that begin to surround and inform the growing child. A Hierophant is someone who interprets arcane knowledge and mysteries.

Magician: The Magician is the positive side. He represents the active, masculine power of creative impulse. He is also our conscious awareness. The Magician is the force that allows us to impact the world through a concentration of individual will and power.

Chariot: The Chariot (7) represents the vigorous ego that is the Fool's crowning achievement so far. On Card 7, we see a proud, commanding figure riding victoriously through his world. He is in visible control of himself and all he surveys. For the moment, the Fool's assertive success is all he might wish, and he feels a certain self-satisfaction. His is the assured confidence of youth.

So, what I get from this is:

* Jotaro is hope/inspiration as the main protagonist of the arc.
* Joseph is his mentor, being the one who sets him on his quest and due to fighting against supernatural forces before.
* Avdol has conscious awareness that ties into his fortune telling and knowledge of Stands?
* Kakyoin represents education, not only being introduced in the episode where Jotaro goes back to school, but also telling Jotaro things about Hong Kong culture.
* Polnareff is really cocky?

Seems pretty accurate so far, though I might be grasping.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Robviously posted:

If people are interested, I'd be glad to make this a thing and talk about the cards and the characters after they show up. (Incidentally, the show was pretty decent with the meaning of The Tower. Explosive, chaotic, energy that can interrupt your life's journey.)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

The whole scene on the street was original to the anime, along with "Japanese coffee sucks!" and "Why Japan sleep on floor?" For whatever reason, the anime is giving us extra scenes of xenophobic grandpa adventures.

He's not entirely xenophobic. He loves his Japanese walkman. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Also fun fact, Star Platinum looked a hell of a lot different when he debuted in the manga.

He looks like he's about to beat the poo poo out of someone while enjoying every moment of it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

His precision is E even though he could rip the tongues from three people's mouths at once?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

trucutru posted:

Power rankings are double-stupid in Jojo because it's not the most powerful dude the one that wins the fights but the one who can use its stand abilities the best. Although there are some disgustingly powerful stands, of course.

Actually, that's pretty cool. One of the things I hated about anime like DBZ is that all you had to do was boost your power level and the other guy couldn't touch you, outspeed you, or use any kind of special technique to hit you.

Except, y'know, Destructo Disc. Which apparently got nerfed in the Cell arc, since it just bounced off of Perfect Cell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

So can people just pocket all those spare emeralds and get rich by just following the crew around?

I have been wondering this very thing since Kakyoin's debut.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Joseph should sell the pictures he's taken of DIO to modeling agencies or something.

You realize that he'd be selling near-salacious photos of his own grandfather's body, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And even if Kars did return, his brain is borked from hundreds of years of being a living ice cube.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Don't forget that young Joseph was totally cool with grenades everywhere. Prophetic infinite invisible rope machine gun grenade martial arts Joseph would have wiped out all the pillar men in a single pose.

I tried to imagine this and I realized who Joseph would be if he'd had Hermit Purple back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkO2sjmC0jw

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Star Finger: Star Platinum can suddenly and forcefully extend his middle and index fingers to a length of one or two metres, in order for example to stab a faraway opponent

Has Star Platinum used this yet? I don't recall him doing that.

And I'm surprised to see that Star Platinum having A in everything but Range means that he still has exploitable weaknesses.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Joseph predicting his opponents in Battle Tendency was a result of a still dormant Hermit Purple somehow.

Similarly, I do believe Jotaro said that he was violent even before Star Platinum formed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Shakugan posted:

I feel like these "stand summaries" MonsterEnvy is posting should all be under spoiler text, because it's way too easy to infer things about the future from them. I mean, "developmental potential" may as well be "does this character get a powerup at some point in the series". Exact clarification of their abilities also spoils things.

The episodes themselves have been showing pictures of the stands' stats, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Uh, Magician's Red fits Avdol quite well actually, I won't say how, but that huge flaming bird is very befitting of him.

Is it because he chickened out when he met Dio? :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

arhra posted:

The stats aren't an issue. Some of the stuff about their abilities or whatever could be, though, given that so far all the anime has showed Hermit Purple doing is psychic photos from smashing cameras (unless I missed something somewhere...)

Joseph has been shown swinging around via Hermit Purple in the OP and I believe he also pulled that flesh bud that was in Kakyoin towards him with Hermit Purple to hit it with the Ripple.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

What would Goku's stand be?

I saw a picture of this earlier today, actually.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

These poses will never not be fantastic. :allears:

Also, Polnareff really does do a 180 in terms of personality. "My sister was raped and now I must kill the man who shamed her. Oh, hey, pretty girls!"

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Incidentally, since this episode showed Dio using Hermit Purple with a crystal ball, does that mean Joseph will end up doing something similar?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty eerie to think that Dio almost possessed a guy who could burn people to death without anyone being aware they were even on fire.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Calling Jotaro "Ora Ora" is the most adorable thing. :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I am rather curious to know what he told her happens to Jonathan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

James Totes posted:

I'm going to be really angry when they inevitably split this into two seasons.

I'm not sure if there will be two seasons, but I'm pretty sure they'll change the Ending Theme halfway through the show.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, there's no way they can do 17 volumes worth of material in 24 episodes. Especially when the first five only cover the first volume and the beginning of the second.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a good thing that everyone speaks the universal language of Japanese.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

I was more talking about that Fascist party officer (Tommy, I think) who got killed by Wham being played off as a totally innocent victim. Not to mention Caesar wasn't especially critical of Mussolini.

His name was Mark. I didn't realize he was a Nazi, though.

I love how there's so much drama about his death, and then everyone forgets he exists two episodes later. No one ever even avenges his death.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

If anything Stroheim made things worse at the end of the day.

Not really. Joseph would've been screwed if he hadn't shown up during the final battle with those UV Lights. The only thing he contributed to was Kars' immortality, and Kars wasn't able to do anything more than cut off one of Joseph's hands before he was launched into space.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 8, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Did Ann really not have a name in the manga? I'm fairly certain she did.

Then again, she was kind of a boring character, so I never really paid attention.

Also, still loving how Star Platinum develops new powers whenever the situation calls for it. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You gotta love the absolute smugness of Star Platinum's face as he backhands that shark.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

There's a reason the previous Phantom Blood never even made out of the theaters

I'm pretty sure it's because they cut out Speedwagon, who is probably one of the most important characters in the series given the aid the SWF supplies (UV lights against Kars; taking care of the dying Holly, etc).

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 12, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder which animal Star Platinum will beat the crap out of next. :allears:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is it just me or was Dio saying "Enyaba"? Is that her canon name now?

I'm pretty sure that was meant to be Enya-ba, like obachan (or however you spell that), which I believe is a way of referring to an elderly woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Additionally, here's a Phantom Blood image related to this episode.

Okay, so he's actually an ape, but whatever.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread