Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

"Hey Baby! becomes "Stronzo" or something to that effect.

This is the only thing about the GG sub I didn't like, and only because subs translating spoken English as something else is my anime pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

itskage posted:

I love DIO as much as the next straight yet questionably homosexual male, but my god man there's no way he's going to live up to this hype.

Put simply: if what we're getting now is the endless Namek bullshit from DBZ, DIO is an entire fight of "I'M GOKU AND I AM A SUPER SAIYAAAAAN!"

And what we're getting now is a whole lot better than Fake Namek. :getin:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

trucutru posted:

They loving copied them and it is so obvious that, when asked they say "yeaaaah, we were kinda inspired a little bit by them... but not much!". What do you expect them to say? The truth? So that Araki can sink his immortal fangs on them and ask for his :10bux:?

Araki isn't exactly a litigious person, is he? I get the feeling his reaction would just be "oh, nice, I inspired another mega-popular thing! :unsmith:" more than anything.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nessus posted:

I'm pretty sure he killed and ate everyone involved in the Phantom Blood movie

See, the difference there is that the Phantom Blood movie is inarguably awful whereas Persona is a long-running and popular game franchise and certified Good poo poo like 75% of the time

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Butt Ghost posted:

I mean, a manga can reference an anime too.

Hirohiko Araki may be a vampire, but he has not yet shown himself capable of time travel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The hair and being generally muscley are literally the only things Stroheim and Guile have in common though, Guile isn't a Nazi robot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aurain posted:

While I don't doubt that's the actual intent there, it takes longer than that for the mind to revert. Polnareff never lost his fighting instinct and smarts for the entirety, so Jotaro retaining his makes sense.

Also, him being able to throw a punch doesn't necessarily mean anything else about his childhood. Alessi was trying to kill him and all, so fighting is an understandable reaction.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He'd probably have a similar attitude towards them as he does towards Speedwagon, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rexides posted:

What the hell happened to the rest of the episode??? It can't have possibly gone that fast :psyduck:

Welcome to the real JoJo. :getin:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

VolticSurge posted:

I think you mean "Esidisi".

Speaking of which,where the hell can I find a version of the series with decent not-Crunchyroll subs?

For SC, nowhere. Fansub groups don't generally touch shows that are picked up by official streaming sources, unless the official source is behind or has some flaw the subbers consider major (for example, UTW redoing Fate subs to correct weird little jargon mistakes because they're huge Nasu spergs).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
He's not literally a pedophile, no, but you're very clearly supposed to get that vibe, which is part of why it's so satisfying when he repeatedly gets owned by a 3-year-old.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That is a good loving freakout though, way more subdued than the David one but it works

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Unholy Ghost posted:

It's April 2nd when you posted that you piece of poo poo!!!

APRIL 2ND!!!

It's their most requested series now that they've gotten Kill la Kill iirc. It's gonna happen eventually, just a question of when.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Rich beggar is just such a loving weird and hilarious character and it's a shame he only shows up once before dying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I'm used to D'Arby the Gamer from the old scans, D'Arby the Player just reads weird to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I parsed it as Joseph asking if the illusion was something his Stand did, and then asking if it was his Stand's primary power, but the original does make more sense.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...wait, Baoh is in that?

e: also you uh, might wanna edit that transcript out or at least spoiler tag it

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 7, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Viz has been going all in on JoJo (their Free Comic Book Day thing was a single issue of Phantom Blood) and they're announcing a dub at AX supposedly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has the special moves bit come up yet? I was, y'know, :okpos: when I watched it so my memory's a bit foggy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh, okay, yeah that makes sense now. I was thinking it was something from next ep's material for some reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like Viz might not be involved and Warner's doing it themselves.

That would be kind of odd, but I could roll with that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MONKET posted:

There are so many posts in this thread that are along the lines of "trust me, it's just getting good guys, we're right at the good parts now, it's gonna be good"

there were a few people who said it after all the protagonists were introduced, a LOT of people who said it when we got to Egypt, and a few who've been saying it during the early Egypt fights. the consensus seems to be that it starts out pretty good and gets Battle Tendency good somewhere in Egypt (YMMV on where specifically but I think pretty much everyone has agreed it's before DIO's castle, except for a couple outliers who've said Vanilla Ice). just seems like a range of opinions, honestly.

also what the gently caress, vanilla ice and pet shop the worst? are you watching bizarro jojo

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my memory's hazy on the specifics of Vanilla Ice because I read the manga back in high school, but I remember it being loving awesome, and the Pet Shop fight is rad because it manages to make a dog fighting a bird hype as all gently caress if nothing else

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
video game fight is D'arby the Player/Gamer, Vanilla Ice is what Avdol, Polnareff and Iggy are up to while the others fight D'arby

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
nah, next episode. D'arby loving owns though

(they did change Vanilla Ice's name, but they changed it to Cool Ice afaik)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sun is totally not skippable :colbert: if only because it owns, a lot

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the cool thing about SC is that even all the filler fights either have hilarious poo poo like "I ended Part 3 early!" and... pretty much the entire Sun fight, or pretty neat characterization bits (the end of the Alessi fight is a nice little character moment for Polnareff- he's spent practically the entire series being a skirt-chaser, but when presented with a pretty obvious opportunity to get some after re-aging, he actively turns it down because he doesn't want to endanger her or their mission).

strength is probably the only fight without anything really in it, and even then I'd say Jotaro ora-ora-ora-ing an orangutan is pretty goddamn cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

El Hefe posted:

Why would anyone want to watch this dubbed? the Japanese voices are hilarious and you'd be missing all the rerorero's, yare yare's and the full effect of the OH MY GOD's

This show owns so much

We don't know what the dub's gonna do for those yet, and the SC test dub was loving awesome so I'm inclined to say they've got a good plan.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FirstAidKite posted:

Must have not thought it'd be useful in any other situation

I mean, to be fair it really wouldn't have been. The Sun is like, maybe the only other time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Iretep posted:

He was dead during the sun arc.

Even better, then, because then there are literally no times it would have been useful prior to this.

Actually maybe Strength but it would have just gone haywire since the whole boat was a Stand

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
holy poo poo this ep made me feel things :qq:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Judgment is the funniest stand in part 3 and it's not surprising at all that he's defeated in a way that also owns

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I don't think JoJo can be friends with himself. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...honestly, that would probably be one of the best parts of having a Stand that can think independently. You'd have a bro who sprung out from your own soul, meaning that you'll (theoretically) always get along perfectly. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

littleorv posted:

But what if that person has depression and hates themself?

Wouldn't you presumably get a Stand with a depressed personality in that instance (assuming it could think for itself)? Probably not very helpful for therapeutic purposes, but speaking as a person with clinical depression, it'd be cool to have someone to bro with on the days that I just feel like laying in bed and watching Iron Chef instead of actually doing things like showering or eating.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
DICK  =  USELESS

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the second half of the OVA is totally fine but the first half is dog crap

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Hm, yes, the mere presence of more gore simply makes the OVA better.

What the hell, man, grow up.

"the OVA did one thing better that 80s and 90s OVAs pretty much always did well"

"SHUT UP YOU CHILD"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

T.G. Xarbala posted:

That's what you got out of that comment?

I mean, all the dude going to bat for the OVA said was that he preferred how it handled the violence. Didn't speak to its quality otherwise, unless I misread it.

And remembering the OVA, I'm kinda with him- I appreciate and prefer David sticking to the manga, but those aren't bad alternate takes on the scenes and they're executed pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bad Seafood posted:

To wit, there were actually a few posters in the manga thread who were surprised to learn there were still people who didn't know what Dio's stand did.

To be fair, from basically the second he starts actually personally doing things in SC it's pretty obvious. I could maybe see someone thinking it's teleportation with the Polnareff on the stairs bit, but by the time you get to Wilson Phillips it's blunt as hell that he's stopping time.

• Locked thread