Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

What would that do for me?

Going up in the front would put you at less RPM at 70-80mph. Same as going down in the rear. More speed, less acceleration. Going down in front or up in the rear does the opposite. More low end grunt, less top end speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Going up in the front would put you at less RPM at 70-80mph. Same as going down in the rear. More speed, less acceleration. Going down in front or up in the rear does the opposite. More low end grunt, less top end speed.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Could sacrifice some acceleration for more top end speed and lower your rpms at interstate cruising speed?

edit: poo poo I need to read the rest of the thread before I reply

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Also get a speedo healer, because.. yeah. On my wr250 indicated 80 was really like 64 after going down 1 in the front.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

Also get a speedo healer, because.. yeah. On my wr250 indicated 80 was really like 64 after going down 1 in the front.

Your bike takes the speedometer reading off the countershaft? :psyduck:

I thought most did it from the front wheel.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Your bike takes the speedometer reading off the countershaft? :psyduck:

I thought most did it from the front wheel.

I guess you're right, maybe I just never paid attention to it until after I did the switch.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I definitely need to do that. I know my bike speedo is off, I just don't know how off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Pretty sure the DRZ reads from the front wheel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard that most bikes read about 10% over out of the factory, just to guarantee that the manufacturer doesn't get sued by someone going 62 at an indicated 60. When an indicated 60 means you're actually going 54 you're pretty safe.

10% less than an indicated 80 should be 72mph, though, so 64 is still way under. Did you change the tire to something totally different from what it came with, or put on a differently sized wheel?

I've heard that over- and under-inflation can also cause speedo issues but I imagine they'd be much smaller than what you're seeing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that most bikes read about 10% over out of the factory, just to guarantee that the manufacturer doesn't get sued by someone going 62 at an indicated 60. When an indicated 60 means you're actually going 54 you're pretty safe.

10% less than an indicated 80 should be 72mph, though, so 64 is still way under. Did you change the tire to something totally different from what it came with, or put on a differently sized wheel?

I've heard that over- and under-inflation can also cause speedo issues but I imagine they'd be much smaller than what you're seeing.

Nope, I'm just a derp and way exaggerated it most likely. It felt slow as poo poo. It also got wrecked by some jerkwad, so RIP little bike.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 1, 2014

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SaNChEzZ posted:

If it was every now and then, it'd be one thing. But lugging my 200lb rear end that far every day wouldn't be fun, or worth it. Ig I can find a bigger sumo I'll likely still get some sort of motard though.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
It's balls hot, I think I may need to buy some stupid looking entirely mesh/armor gear. Running errands and I'm sweaty as hell.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It is loving hot. I have things to do right now but it's hot so I'm going to sit inside and drink and complain about the hot instead.

I think I might get someone to cart me to the beach when the sun goes down. Should be a nice evening after the sun stops melting everything.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I was riding at night in a perf leather jacket and over pants and I was still loving dying in this heat. At night!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I was riding at night in a perf leather jacket and over pants and I was still loving dying in this heat. At night!

Mesh/tex pants commando + mesh jacket.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I take finals this upcoming week and I'm not in a great place so I guess it's time to visit LA at some point in the next month. :unsmith: I may try to schedule it in with a SoCal Supermoto trackday.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Tried to go on my first entirely recreation ride on the bike and GMR was closed, that was after I got to just before where it starts and realized I'm low on gas and had to trek down to the freeway again to fill up.
Ended up just saying gently caress it and going back down and around to at least ride Baldy Rd up to the sky lifts, then down to the lodge for beer and food.

I guess east fork was open so I could have gone from baldy village over to east fork and down the 39? Is that open to motorists?

I've done that loop a million different ways 39/east fork -> GMR -> baldy down on a bicycle and remember gates but when I was riding around today I have no idea where I had to jump gates so figured better safe then to waste more time riding up to a dead end.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
39 and fork should both be open. GMR was closed by the U.S.F.S. the entire 3-day weekend last week, opened up for 1 day, then closed again and won't reopen until the 11th due to a movie being filmed up there.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Can you take a vehicle through the entire loop of 39 -> east fork -> GMR to mt baldy village? Just up and down mt baldy was neat but fairly short except for the part after the village up to the lift with the tiny switchbacks.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Right now I can't tell for sure (and since my wife and I are moving we're not gonna be riding around this weekend). The southern exit where it leads to Sierra Madre is closed still from what I can tell, and I think the gate at the GRR junction might be closed, but I have no idea if the gate at the Fork/GMR junction is open or not. If the Fork junction gate is open then I don't see why you can't swing it over to GRR then to Baldy.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I live in Vegas 3 weeks out of the month. The other is in Pasadena.

Hot sunny weather is the best weather.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, in SoCal now. Been staying in Oceanside, and just got our house in Murrieta. Its loving weird riding here.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

So, in SoCal now. Been staying in Oceanside, and just got our house in Murrieta. Its loving weird riding here.

All splitting all the time :black101:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SaNChEzZ posted:

All splitting all the time :black101:

Still trying to figure out all the etiquette for that. But it is indeed fun as poo poo.

Now if only it would be warm.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I'm in Carlsabd and am a total anchorite. If anybody is up for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, hit me up on Steam.

Oh and we can motorcycle too if you want

Hey, I'm a hispter piece of poo poo who rides a KZ 550. I live in San Marcos but store my bike in Carlsbad. Wanna play CS: GO? Whats your steam profile?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be heading down to my local Aprilia dealer and test out the Caponord since they're doing a demo tour. Sanchezz, you're on the west side, right? I think they're gonna be in Glendale tomorrow in case you wanna hop on one too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Gonna be heading down to my local Aprilia dealer and test out the Caponord since they're doing a demo tour. Sanchezz, you're on the west side, right? I think they're gonna be in Glendale tomorrow in case you wanna hop on one too.

Yeah I'm way on the west side though, beach cities. If I can squeeze time I may try to get out there though, thanks!

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Just moved from the bay and god is it loving hot. I'm right by Yellow Devil and they're super awesome, but don't have any mesh gear that I want so now I have to spend extra bucks on some new Dainese something or other. drat.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\ The Dainese store isn't that far from you and is worth taking the time to go check it out. Plus they put stuff on clearance earlier than secondary vendors like Revzilla so you can find stuff for a decent price a lot of times.

And Sanchezz if Thousand Oaks is closer to you the van is gonna be there on Sunday. I'll be mucking around at the WERA race in Fontana that day, eating bad food and poking at stuff.

Thoughts on the Caponord: it's uh, very calm. Seating position is odd for me since I'm on sport bikes all the time. Enough power to get around, flickable enough to be fun I guess? And wow those pegs are low. My wife's used to riding either passenger on sport bikes and riding on them solo; absolutely hated being the passenger on the capo. Because of the seating positions and our height (I'm 6'1 and she's 5'2), I blocked all her air, so she was just back there getting cooked and feeling miserable.

My opinion's been skewed from riding the RSV4 for close to 5 months though.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 27, 2014

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Oh yeah, you're right. Looks like it's time to join the PCH weekend squid legion and take a look.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone ever ride CA74 and 243? Got woken up by screaming neighbor kids at 730am, so figured I might as well go hit the mountains.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone ever ride CA74 and 243? Got woken up by screaming neighbor kids at 730am, so figured I might as well go hit the mountains.

I drove the 74 a while ago and was struck by the lack of gas stations/civilization. It would have been a loving riot if I hadn't been driving a truck. The 243 didn't seem quite as cool because it's two relatively narrow lanes and gets congested really easily.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

El Mike-o posted:

I drove the 74 a while ago and was struck by the lack of gas stations/civilization. It would have been a loving riot if I hadn't been driving a truck. The 243 didn't seem quite as cool because it's two relatively narrow lanes and gets congested really easily.

Verdict while stopped on 243: 74 is loving amazing. 243 is as well. However, I've had to stop and wait so many times that I just cut it short, and am going back to 74 for the ride back to the interstate.

Between packs of Harleys doing 10mph, and cars in a pack doing 20, just not worth it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey Royal, I saw a white ktm on my way to work this morning on the 134 splitting off to the right while I was zooming off in the carpool lane. Was that you? I know you had a black one before but was looking to get another one.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Hey Royal, I saw a white ktm on my way to work this morning on the 134 splitting off to the right while I was zooming off in the carpool lane. Was that you? I know you had a black one before but was looking to get another one.

Nah, I still have my orange/black SM. I was looking at maybe trying to get a newer one, but a different hot flash hit and I bought an old Jeep Cherokee instead :banjo:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend's been riding my bike to work here in Carlsbad. I... almost remember fun. Many moons ago. What... is it like?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

My friend's been riding my bike to work here in Carlsbad. I... almost remember fun. Many moons ago. What... is it like?

Hey, you're semi close. Know any good shops? I need to get fork seals done, and just don't have the tools or means to do them in my garage :/

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Hey, you're semi close. Know any good shops? I need to get fork seals done, and just don't have the tools or means to do them in my garage :/

Jim's Cycles in Poway is p much the best I've found in the entire area and it's where all the real motorcyclists take their bikes, but they do charge more than a lot of the other shops in the area. They do insanely top notch work, though. One of the mechanics converted his ZZR1200 to fuel injection, shaved it to 380 pounds, and runs it on microsquirt or some other standalone. I think it puts out 140whp and 110tq and gets 50mpg. Utterly stupid and I love it.

He did an excellent job tuning my Bandit when I needed to do a full carb rebuild. Although for the same price I could have done standalone EFI :negative:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jim's Cycles in Poway is p much the best I've found in the entire area and it's where all the real motorcyclists take their bikes, but they do charge more than a lot of the other shops in the area. They do insanely top notch work, though. One of the mechanics converted his ZZR1200 to fuel injection, shaved it to 380 pounds, and runs it on microsquirt or some other standalone. I think it puts out 140whp and 110tq and gets 50mpg. Utterly stupid and I love it.

He did an excellent job tuning my Bandit when I needed to do a full carb rebuild. Although for the same price I could have done standalone EFI :negative:

Is that Martin's Motos? I can't find any info on Jim's Cycles, but apparently the owner of that shop is named Jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Is that Martin's Motos? I can't find any info on Jim's Cycles, but apparently the owner of that shop is named Jim

Er, whoops, I meant Poway Cycles. My bad!

http://powaymotorcycle.com/SanDiego/

• Locked thread