Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Yeah, Burt's loving sucks. The Cycle Gears in the area have Dainese; it is Cycle Gear Dainese. My jacket is from there and I really like it, it is the Veloce. But if you want the real fancy stuff you're probably not going to be satisfied.

I don't understand how the gear selection in our area is so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, Bert's is pretty limited on their Dainese stuff. I got a few things from them every now and then but that's because I already know what I want and what size I need. Proitalia has some stuff too but I doubt their selection is that good.

Just bite the bullet and head down to the d-store instead.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Didn't wear my leathers today or pack my Toggs. Water was pouring right into my crack before any other part of me was soaked.

It was weird.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Pft waterproof gear, just change clothes at every destination!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
wetsuit with mx armor works well. :shrug:

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Well, my favorite gear store is closing and doing a liquidation sale. Yellow Devil in Long Beach is closing and there are some pretty sick discounts this weekend. Sadly I won't be around for it but the email said ~80% off of so hopefully at least some of you can get some cheap stuff.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

drat why am I just now hearing about that place!? I live in long beach but I'm out of town till Sunday night. Such is life.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

CA goons, I am going to rent a bike for 9 days in June and go from San Francisco to Yosemite, Death Valley, LA, then back up the coast to SF again. Tell me what to do so I don't have to make any decisions for myself

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'd post in the motorcycle discussion thread too, might be able to score some couchsurfing outside of LA!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Infinotize posted:

CA goons, I am going to rent a bike for 9 days in June and go from San Francisco to Yosemite, Death Valley, LA, then back up the coast to SF again. Tell me what to do so I don't have to make any decisions for myself

You're going to turn into a baked potato.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yup, sun block. Lots of it.

If you have the time, go up Angeles Crest Highway and do the full route. Fuel up at the end of it at Wrightwood, go back west on the 210 and do a loop at Glendora Moutain Road. Angeles is the scenic road. GMR is the technical road.

Angryboot fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 17, 2015

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

You're going to turn into a baked potato.

Hmm, I know DV will be bad, but other than that it should be fine (right?? right??). Actually the more I think about it maybe 'bad' is an understatement.

Angeles Crest looks good.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Infinotize posted:

Hmm, I know DV will be bad, but other than that it should be fine (right?? right??). Actually the more I think about it maybe 'bad' is an understatement.

Angeles Crest looks good.

DV and LA are both going to bake you, and so will the transit routes to both. Make sure you have poo poo LOADS of water, Sun block, chapstick, and a defined route where you know you can stop and rest. It's already hot as gently caress in the desert, and it's not going to get any cooler.

I'd also recommend some ball powder/corn starch/diaper rash ointment if you're a sweaty guy (even if you aren't you will be) and some shorts with a padded rear end.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I bought a Flygear backpack that has a built in camel oak for drinking while riding. If you can find something like that I would highly recommend it.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

DV and LA are both going to bake you, and so will the transit routes to both. Make sure you have poo poo LOADS of water, Sun block, chapstick, and a defined route where you know you can stop and rest. It's already hot as gently caress in the desert, and it's not going to get any cooler.

Hey now, it is still in the "pre-100+-every-day-until-October" period. Until it is over 100 we still say it is nice outside.

I also recommend the powder for your rear end, as you will be sweating a bunch. Drink lots of water, and then drink some more, because you will sweat.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Are there any reputable shops in the Long Beach/Orange County area? I'm having some work done and took my bike to Del Amo but it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything, such as turn a wrench, or file a supplement for insurance, or talk to me.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My wife and I took today off and ran around GMR today since I need to give the new 690 a shake-down:

Good thing we went today too; apparently there's a bicycle race this coming up Saturday, which means Sunday is gonna be all crowded and poo poo.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Any recommendations for where I can take the MSF? I've been thinking about taking up motorcycling as a cheaper / faster alternative to driving. Would it be worth driving out to Honda's rider education center at take the class there?

I was also under the impression that taking the MSF would mean I wouldn't have to take the actual test at the DMV, but apparently that is not the case? If I ended up wanting to get my license but don't have a motorcycle yet, what would be the procedure?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
It's no longer MSF that waives the driving test, now it's MSP http://cmsp.msi5.com/. You still have to take the written test at the DMV.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
In terrible news: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/collided-662143-mesa-motorcycle.html
Hope everyone's still alive.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Gillingham posted:

It's no longer MSF that waives the driving test, now it's MSP http://cmsp.msi5.com/. You still have to take the written test at the DMV.

Cheers, thanks for the link. I'm assuming all the classes are pretty much the same, so I should take the class most convenient to me?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

kimcicle posted:

Cheers, thanks for the link. I'm assuming all the classes are pretty much the same, so I should take the class most convenient to me?

Yes it's standardized curriculum so go to whatever is easiest for you. You use their motorcycles so don't worry about having one. End of the class you ride through a pair of courses (everything is set up with cones by the instructors) that combine every drill you did and you are allowed to screw up once or twice. Nothing major like dropping the bike, just running over a cone or putting a foot down. If you pas you get a voucher you take to the DMV when you take your written and it counts for the driving portion, then you get your M1!

Things might have changed since I did mine almost a decade ago but that's been the gist of it forever. It's highly recommended by everyone because it's a great way to learn. You get to use/gently caress up their bikes, you get to learn about all the parts of the bike, and you get to practice with instructors that can give you real useable feedback.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Hey CA nerds, I'm in Pasadena. My 98 Intruder is broke and I don't know how to fix it. Will make you dinner and booze you up if anyone wants to hang out and show me how to take it apart and put it back together.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What part of Pasadena? I'm near San Gabriel and the 210.

What's wrong with your bike, and do you have a repair manual?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

By PCC. If I recall, the head gasket needs replaced, and the carbs need cleaned. Also the tail lights at busted and need to be replaced. I've got the Clymer manual, but it's a wall of text that is quite daunting.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna be tied up with work for the next 2 weeks but those aren't terribly complicated tasks, just have to deal with taking off parts to get to what you need, then remember where everything is supposed to go to. I can see about swinging by for a few next weekend if everything goes according to plan at work.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

poo poo yeah, let's do it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bleh, I'm gonna e all tied up this weekend. Anybody else in the area available to help WerrWaaa out? Royal? Gillingham?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Doesn't have to be today, of course. If people get free and want to stop by this week that would be cool, just let me know. Next weekend is too busy for me, unfortunately. First things: What tools am I going to need on hand to start pulling things apart? Might as well not waste people's time in person with that nonsense.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Socket set and wrenches, torque wrench for those sockets, if your bike has torx/allen bolts the proper socket set for that too, various screw driver bits etc are most of the basics for what you're doing I think.

Spent today doing my own oil + filter change and coolant flush and now am somehow painting the inside of the house because the girlfriend didn't think I've done enough work apparently.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Saw a crash photo on reddit from I-10 E. Blame cars and don't be stupid. http://m.imgur.com/yw9pkue

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

El Mike-o posted:

Are there any reputable shops in the Long Beach/Orange County area? I'm having some work done and took my bike to Del Amo but it's like pulling teeth to get them to do anything, such as turn a wrench, or file a supplement for insurance, or talk to me.

Quoting because this never got answered and I'm also wondering what people down here do for service on their bikes that they don't do themselves.
I just bought a bonneville and the dealer (in brea) of course would like me to get the services done there.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Kid died last night at the corner of Del Mar and Meridith in Pasadena when a car pulled out in front of him. Stop dying, people, it makes me too sad.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

WerrWaaa posted:

Kid died last night at the corner of Del Mar and Meridith in Pasadena when a car pulled out in front of him. Stop dying, people, it makes me too sad.

Guy died in San Diego when a woman insisted he kicked her car, so she chased him down, hit him, and then ran him over.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

iwentdoodie posted:

Guy died in San Diego when a woman insisted he kicked her car, so she chased him down, hit him, and then ran him over.

gently caress, that sucks. Got a link?

Edit
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Video-Motorcycle-Road-Rage-Death-Navy-Sailor-San-Diego-305681651.html

Throw the book at her.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 5, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
That same woman had her drivers license suspended before, and has at least 1 restraining order against her from previous boyfriends too.

But ya know, she totally deserves to be free and among the rest of us!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sold :(

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 2, 2015

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Went on ACH to Redbox during my lunch break since I work in Glendale. Man, a lot of loose dirt/sand/silt from the rain still.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Crossposting from the for sale thread:

$6750 for a goon.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5159612124.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

SaNChEzZ posted:

Crossposting from the for sale thread:

$6750 for a goon.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/5159612124.html

Can't remember if these had ABS as standard?

• Locked thread