Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

So it's April in Arizona, which means I have about -30 days to get my AC fixed. To recap from sometime last year, I did the R-152a conversion on my system, new oil/dye/dryer/o-rings, etc. Consistently, the charge (read: blowing cold) would only last two months tops. After vacuuming out and refilling though, high- and low-side pressures were always in perfect range, and obviously the compressor cycled appropriately and the clutch sounded fine. The problem is that there's a loving leak somewhere and I can't find it even with the dye in the system.

Will it be in my best interests to go to a shop that does "A/C leak tests" and see what equipment/methods they use? I'm assuming that the simplest way to find the leak would be to empty the system, then put pressure into it via nitrogen or the like, rather than trying to hold it under vacuum. Hell, I don't even need a shop to do the work for me afterwards; I just need to find out which goddamn hose, fitting or whatever to replace. Maybe the condenser. Who knows.

Reminder: 1985 RX-7, originally R-12; with R-152a it had vent temps of 38 Fahrenheit. When it worked, it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Motronic posted:

The other place I've found "leaks that I can't find with dye" are the drat valve cores of the service ports. Because you expect them to have dye on them already.

Funny thing: I actually replaced the valve cores in October the last time I charged the system. Didn't seem to help. About a year ago when I had the blower motor removed to check it out, I also shined my UV light all over the evaporator and didn't find anything. It's frustrating as hell.

• Locked thread