Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Preoptopus posted:

So just got sent to an A/C seminar through work and bad news folks! Enjoy r134a while it lasts cause the industry is switching over to r1234yf really soon! What does this mean?! Well, if you have an old car that runs out of r134a, your hosed. The knew systems cannot legally be retrofitted to any old car. New cars will have closed systems and the only way to pressure test is with a scan tool. compressors are crazy complicated and will no longer have clutches and be running at all times. (This is already in production) Soon you will have to do oil changes on your A/C compressors. Shops will have to buy all new equipment. Oh and the knew stuff costs around $1300/10 pounds. And its flammable!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-PvUouMrH4
Source of ignition? Catalytic converter.

As someone who is primarily a driver rather than a mechanic, my only question is this: Will new A/C systems blow colder? That's pretty much the only thing I care about : the ability to summon a Nor'easter on command and point it directly at my face. I want to see loving icicles.

I never did a comparison between R-12 and R-134a myself, but rumour has it that the old A/C systems were more effective than new ones. I wonder if a) there really is any truth to that and b) if we'll be able to go back toward better cooling with the new systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread