Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Your thread was very helpful last year. I still haven't fixed my A/C and probably won't. The tools I need plus another compressor clutch would put me near where the car is worth. Another sweaty summer :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Hit a junkyard! Unless your car is plagued by "bad clutches", finding a good one will be easy enough.

The tools are significantly more expensive. Clutch puller, manifold, and vaccuum pump. Consumable stuff like the refrigerant, lubricant, etc. Plus whatever else I might need that I encounter along the way.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What kind of car do you have? Clutch pullers are generally rented at a decent auto parts shop. The rest of the stuff, is relatively cheap.

First thing I would do, see if you can pull a vacuum on your system. If it holds, then you can determine if its worth fixing.

2003 Saturn L200 with 152k on the clock. It's been in 2 accidents so there's no way it's worth more than a grand.

What vacuum pump are you talking about? All the ones I've been looking at are pretty expensive.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Huh, funny. I work with chemicals that turn into hydroflouric acid when they touch atmosphere. It's extremely corrosive. It also has the fun property of not only burning your skin, but absorbing into it and de-calcifying your bones! Not that it is pertinent information, but the treatment for an HF burn is calcium gluconate. It might be a worthwhile thing to have in your first aid kit if there is any belief you are at risk of exposure.

While we're at it. HF looks exactly like smoke and would be very difficult to identify if it was generated by burning a substance.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 30, 2014

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone know if the HF vacuum pumps are any good? There are two models. There is a 2.5CFM and a 3CFM. I went to check them out but there is no display model nor can I open the box without destroying it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-cfm-two-stage-vacuum-pump-61176.html

Having one of these not poo poo out on me might make fixing my car's AC a financially sound decision.

• Locked thread