Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

atomicthumbs posted:

I thought my car had a nasty case of piston slap, but I used a broomstick to find the real culprit; it went away when I cut the belt off the A/C compressor.

Is it more likely that the clutch or the compressor itself is failing in this instance? The sound didn't change when I turned the A/C on and off, though that could be because both of them were failing.

The sound could best be described as "a gnome inside the engine with a pair of hammers". The A/C seemed to work fine other than the noise.

My friends 244 made the same noise for years, it stopped when the compressor pulley failed. I don't think the compressor itself is bad, just the idler bearings, but since the A/C never worked anyway I couldn't confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have a similar issue with the '99 Forester, I didn't disassemble the A/C system when I swapped the engine, just laid the compressor off to the side. When I got everything buttoned back up the A/C was dead. Compressor will kick on for a minute but it never gets cold. Could having the hoses twisted a bit for several months allow all the refrigerant to escape?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Javid posted:

I dunno what else may be leaking (nobody actually sells a loving UV flashlight around here) but the low side port has visible amounts of the yellow UV dye showing up after cleaning so that's my first stop.

Where do you actually get ac-sized schraeder valve cores? and
Will taking out the core long enough to go size-match it puke out the entire contents of my system?

You can get sets on amazon for <$10.

DO NOT REMOVE THE CORE WITHOUT RECOVERING THE REFRIGERANT
Taking out the core on a pressurized system is an incredibly bad idea. Like, not only will you vent your entire refrigerant charge to atmosphere, but you'll also probably burn (refrigerant burn, like frostbite on steroids) the poo poo out of your hand.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 13, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
If just the blades of the squirrel-cage are dirty it will move a lot less air than it should.

• Locked thread