Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Awesome timing!

My 2002 passat went into a ditch and destroyed the AC lines last year (which is how I got it so cheaply). Over the winter I repaired it, and installed a new receiver/drier (and filled the system with the correct amount of the correct oil), however, I didn't charge it at the time. Since it's been so long since the system was assembled, should I replace the receiver/drier again before charging? It's easy to get to and cheap, so I don't mind at all if it is advised.

Side question: is there any issue with charging a car in the middle of winter? I was lazy and didn't want to, but I'm curious if it would have been an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

Was the system immediately vaced after installing the receiver/dryer and has been closed and under vacuum since then? If not, it needs to be replaced. The dryer is the LAST thing you install right before you vac - they are only there to get that last bit of moisture out. If you take it out of the box and it's not plugged it's bad. If it's sat in a system that's not been vaced, it bad. If it's ever been in a system that has been run before, it's bad. Can you get away with it? Yeah.....but don't. They're too cheap to leave a potential ticking time bomb around (water in the system turning the refrigerant acidic and eating your poo poo).
No it was not. Thank you for that clarification! I figured I should, but didn't have a concrete answer. I didn't want to leave the hoses open and dangling - a new receiver/drier is a perfectly fine price to pay IMHO.

Motronic posted:

Yes and no. You CAN do it, but it's really tough to vac properly. The concept of vacing is to lower the system pressure so that any water will be at it's boiling point and get pulled out at steam. Obviously temperature is the other side of this phase change, so the higher the temp the better chance you have to getting all the water out. If I have to do one in the winter (not having AC in the winter is really miserable because defrost doesn't work well) I jam a couple of shop lights in the engine bay wherever they can heat up various parts of the system. If I really want to sperge about it I'll run the engine up to temp and vac again under the hope that the heat load will help with that last bits of moisture.

It feels good when laziness has a reason :)

I really appreciate the quick and detailed replies!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I finally got around to fixing the leak (Spencer's gifts blacklight bulb worked great, along with the dye), replacing the receiver-dryer again, and charging up my Passat. COLD COLD COLD YES YES YES SO AWESOME!

Thank you Motronic!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Sadi posted:

So one of my room mates cars ac blows warm. Check the static pressures. They looked good. Check it running. Low side was 45psi. High side was 375 psi. What the gently caress is going on here? The compressor never shut off.

Make sure the fans are running. I saw this same symptom on a friends mazda3 with dead fan. Tossed a bigass box fan on high in front of the car and the pressures magically went to where they were supposed to be.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

My god that solvent is harsh. Makes brake part cleaner look like fresh spring water. Effective as hell tho.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

AC flush is the nastiest poo poo I have EVER worked with and I have a weird love affair with solvents. Be careful, well-ventilated space, eye protection, blah blah blah.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kastein posted:

I wash my hands with acetone sometimes so we shall see. It better be good poo poo.

Acetone ain't *poo poo* compared to AC flush.

kastein posted:

they just swear it won't really hurt you

I don't know what brand mine is, but it said precisely the opposite of that. Let me know if you want me to take a pic of the can next time I roll out to the shop (possibly this evening).

kastein posted:

This poo poo better taste good :2bong:

Oh you'll be finding out, even if you don't want to. I really should have worn a respirator...

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 4, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Was it oil that had UV dye in it? May also have had some dye injected previously.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Stupid question - will that dye show up under your typical :420: fluorescent black light, assuming I check after the sun goes down, or should I go get a real UV light + glasses? I have a 32 watt stoner version..

If it's actually a uv black light then yes it will work. Barely. I had to turn off every single light and make it pitch loving black, and I *barely* saw a loving thing.

I haven't used what Motronic just recommended but I'm sure it's a drat sight better than a hippie UV black light. That being said, I still have my hippie light hung up with the AC tools because it does, technically, do the job and it's already there.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

You can get cans of mixed refrigerant and oil at your local friendly autozone.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

An actual flush of the AC system is loving horrible and gross and uses one of the nastiest solvents I've ever come across and is a giant pain in the rear end - I'd highly recommend Motronic's 'eh close enough' method - flushes are only something I'd do if the AC system experienced Black Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

jaxercracks posted:

The A/C in my 2010 Ford F-150 is not getting cold enough. I spent some time testing it yesterday and found the following:

Static test.
Ambient temp:73F
Low side: 81PSI
High side: 81 PSI

Dynamic test later in the day.
Ambient temp: 88F
Low side pressure: 30 PSI
High side ressure: 225 PSI
Temp at center console vent: 70F

A/C was set to max, fan high, recirculate, temp control set all the way down to 60. Compressor is turning and the evap inlet line is getting cold. Plenty of air flow out of the vents.

This is my first time attempting to work on A/C but from my limited understanding of things the pressures and temperatures above seem about right so it seems like probably it is not a refrigerant level issue. Suggestions as to what to try next? Thanks.

How's your condenser fan doing? It may be weak / undersized to begin with. High side numbers would be a lot higher if it was fully failed, in my limited experience with a fan failure (one time).

I've used a bigass metal floor fan as a substitute for a good condenser fan (friend wanted to charge the system now and install the fan when it came in, rather than install it and then come back to get it charged)

• Locked thread