Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So I just got a new to me vehicle, and the a/c by all appearances works perfectly, BUT

When the compressor is engaged, it makes a noise that I would compare to a noisy valvetrain, or maybe spark knock. Something like that. I assume the compressor has some internal issue. Should I just let it go until it dies? I'm guessing that with knowledge of this issue, even if I changed it out now, the lines need to be flushed, new drier, etc.

It only is noisy when a/c clutch is engaged, silent otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

The other possibility is that its just normal noise or not even directly related to the A/C. My old NB Miata would rattle like that when in neutral with the clutch out and A/C on. Pushing the clutch pedal or turning off the A/C would quiet it down.

As far as I know, the A/C is still working cold and that noise was there since 2004.

Indeed, I hit the clutch while in neutral with a/c engaged, and the noise went away. Upon further inspection, it's not even the a/c compressor but sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine or transaxle. Throw out bearing maybe?

Either way, thank you for pointing this out, and carry on. Looks like my a/c is safe for the upcoming season.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Vehicle: 2014 Ford F750

So in only 30k miles, my work truck has managed to completely clog up the evap coil. Ford, being Ford, did not think a cabin air filter was something needed, and the coil is buried in the dash, requiring dash removal to clean according to the dealer and my shop mechanic.

Which my company will not bother with.

Any clever ideas? I don't think the blower is removable without taking the dash out, either. My current plan of attack is drilling out some spot welds in a metal flap on the side of the outside air intake at the cowl, and see what I can reach (the welds are easily replaced by bolts). If nothing else, try to reach a sprayer in there and try to get some coil cleaner on it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Like, swap the leads on the blower motor? Will a scroll wheel do that?

Or you mean rigging something up to push back from the vents?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 13, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

meatpimp posted:

My brother sent me an email at 12:30AM this morning saying no a/c in his house. We troubleshot this morning -- condenser fan wouldn't start on its own, but it would if he gave the blades a push. Capacitor. I'm a couple hours away, so he called around... the big places were quoting $250 just for a capacitor replacement. That's not free market, that's just taking advantage of the market. He found someone to come out this afternoon that would replace the capacitor for $75-100, which is perfectly reasonable for a part that retails for $20 and a half hour of time.

My condenser cap blew last week and it was $13.01 for the more expensive one....you've gone this far just pop a new one in it?

• Locked thread