Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Great LP, really excited for the expansion!

I feel a bit silly pointing it out but that was the Populous 3 logo, not the Bullfrog logo. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Time for some Undiscovered Worlds!

(Quote for new page :ssh:)

drat it you're correct, I was thinking of the opening bit which I can't record, but really wanna show. Ah well, you'll see it if you play the game yourself.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 31, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Eventually I'll make slathering hot fiery lava a catchphrase or something.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Time for an eh level.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And whilst I'm here, I've been thinking of ways to end the lp and since I will be showing off multiplayer in a fairly contained way, I think having a few matches with other people would be an idea. Now that the trap has been set, I know some of you have played this game, so you can't escape. It doesn't matter if you're terrible, I'm terrible too. So long as you aren't like this then that'll be fine.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I've never seen the expansion levels. So far they seem fairly good, outside of Soul Survivor being painfully slow.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Access this video through the net. It's meta or something.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

What a rubbish shield...

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 17, 2014

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
This has been a great LP, and its a bit of a shame it hasn't been a more active thread.

These levels in Undiscovered Worlds feel really odd coming off the base game. Like, I get what they were going for but the first half has been ridiculously easy which is weird in a half sized expansion pack that was being sold to, presumably, people who had beaten the base game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thank you very much, I don't mind more people aren't watching, 100 views is plenty to me, I'm a new guy playing an obscure game, so I was expecting it (I expected less people to watch honestly).

And no video today due to being tired as poo poo and trying to get an alternate method for Level 11, which is hard as gently caress. Unfortunately I can't really think of any other levels since they're all pretty drat straightforward, excluding Level 6, but I strictly cannot do it any other way, you'll know what I mean tomorrow evening. I'll still have fun with cheats and dying for bonuses, but that'll be about it.

For now, enjoy your Friday night!

Admiral Nelson
Dec 26, 2012
Well, I for one check this thread every day for updates. You are doing a great job with it. Get some rest! :)

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Zore posted:

This has been a great LP, and its a bit of a shame it hasn't been a more active thread.

These levels in Undiscovered Worlds feel really odd coming off the base game. Like, I get what they were going for but the first half has been ridiculously easy which is weird in a half sized expansion pack that was being sold to, presumably, people who had beaten the base game.

Part of the problem is that the game doesn't really have much to discuss. It's a fun game, but there's no plot to speak of, and each level plays out pretty much the same as all the other levels.

Also the human shield in the last level has a use: getting to watch them get utterly destroyed by the combined force of two tribes working together. It's fun!

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Thank you very much, I don't mind more people aren't watching, 100 views is plenty to me, I'm a new guy playing an obscure game, so I was expecting it (I expected less people to watch honestly).

And no video today due to being tired as poo poo and trying to get an alternate method for Level 11, which is hard as gently caress. Unfortunately I can't really think of any other levels since they're all pretty drat straightforward, excluding Level 6, but I strictly cannot do it any other way, you'll know what I mean tomorrow evening. I'll still have fun with cheats and dying for bonuses, but that'll be about it.

For now, enjoy your Friday night!

Hey man, don't burn yourself out with the game!

Just looking at the last 5 updates, they have been consistently once a day. I really don't think there's any other thread on the forum that has that kinda speed. (not that we're complaining :v:)

You're doing a great job. Especially for your first LP. Feel free to take a break! We don't mind waiting a few days if you're tired/stuck...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's not a problem (I've already recorded the rest of the expansion :ssh:), I'm just able to upload daily, only yesterday was uncharacteristically busy. It's been fairly easy to get things out daily, even after goofing off and doing nothing for hours at a time.

Anyway, a terrible level that I was maybe a bit harsh on, you guys be the judge.

But now we move on to the second half, which is much, much more interesting, since I find most of the first six levels fairly naff.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 17, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That looked like a conceptually decent idea for a level that got executed in a fairly boring way.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

GimmickMan posted:

That looked like a conceptually decent idea for a level that got executed in a fairly boring way.

Yeah, I think I've played an Age of Empires level with this premise once. The idea of "use your converter to get a worker from your enemies" isn't bad per se, it just doesn't work very well in this game, I feel.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Voices of Babylon, Holy Man. Second campaign(after the 'tutorial' Egyptian campaign), first stage.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Like I said in the video, it would be a better level if finding a Brave wasn't luck based until you've waited long enough to just be handed some Braves in a hut. Interesting concepts, mediocre execution.

But now, the second half.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's a little odd that beyond the first level our previous protag doesn't do a lot to help. Then again, I suppose the journey is the whole point.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, she prefers stepping back and letting you know what the level's like, we'll soon be a proper Shaman eventually.

Also, pretend I uploaded the first video two days ago and everything is on schedule!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 17, 2014

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
That's a whole lot of braves.

The Prisons level is pretty cool, preventing both sides from using their Shamans without having any sort of annoying timer or anything.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Unstoppable force vs impregnable wall.

Also, yes I did change all my episode images yesterday, I wasn't happy with how they looked, so I did some basic stuff and now they look much better. It's a small change, but that's how I like it, everything perfect. I'm tempted to change the cropped images in the second op post to be more standardized, but that's just crazy. :v:

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 17, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Dakini fortress looks like what I used to do as a kid with the Landbridge spell.

Okay so maybe my fortresses weren't quite so symmetrical but I worked with what the map gave me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Bonsoir, mes ami, welcome back to Monaco.

Wait, er, wrong lp.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 17, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This is the end, my friends.

If me and Deeds can't get multiplayer to work (his end, he sucks), or I can't get anyone else to do it, then tomorrow will be the final video. What a crazy three months this lp has been, it's been fantastic.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 17, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Was fun to see a LP of this old classic. I remember really liking the populous series wayyy long ago. Dont think I ever finished any of them because I was a kid, but good memories all the same. Thanks for the LP.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Tomorrow? In Australia perhaps, or whatever, it's done.

Maybe next week we'll get multiplayer working, but if not, then the lp is done. Thank you to everyone for watching, I've had a blast playing an excellent game for you all. Head on over to the Disney megathread for my Bug's Life lp if you want for a nice short break before my next big thread lp.

Ta-ta!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I loved this game as a kid, and I never got to see the expansion. It was a great LP and you are quite entertaining to listen to.

Cheers, I look forward to whatever you do next.

Admiral Nelson
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for the LP. It was interesting to see this old game shown off.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
Thanks for making this, it was a total blast of nostalgia

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Thanks for showing off the game and the expansion. It's been a good run.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, good to see this run through to the end. What was your favorite gimmick level in the expansion?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ooh, tough one. I like quite a few of them, especially the second half, but I'd have to go with either Prisons, or L'Assassine.

Also, I'll have another bonus video up in a few days, just something about Populous I wanna show off. And if I can get multiplayer working before this gets archived (when I'm eventually not lazy enough to email baldurk), then that'll be the last video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I thought about showing off the fairly small modding community and finally getting some multiplayer videos, but it's just not working, I keep putting it off and I just wanna move on. I'm gonna move onto my next lp sometime next week. I'm really happy how well this turned out, thanks everyone for the support, I really enjoyed this! This should be up on the archive in a month, or a week, or whatever.

And finalizing my decision to move on, I leave you this.

Yea-nooooooooooooooooooooo.

[/lp]

• Locked thread