Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man, what a jerk. The only reason he's not the worst victim this season is because his competition is a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought he was fairly sympathetic although pretty dumb/oblivious. Actively trying to gently caress up his family with the snakes was petty, but I thought it was established fairly well that he was trying to earn his stepmother's praise or acceptance, but instead his efforts were pushed away so he was angry. He's the leftover kid from the dad's first marriage and now his dad is focused on new wife and new kids and the old kid is left out in the cold so his frustration and anger were understandable even if his actions weren't appropriate. I thought that was a really great bit of revealing a whole lot of backstory with just a tiny phrase "she'll never be my real mom" or whatever it was he said exactly.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Yeah, he was lashing out, hurt by guilt and having trouble accepting that he had caused so much damage with something so stupid. It was petulant and emotional, not a carefully considered malevolent act.

I also sympathize because I, like him, am completely stupid: I was once told not to whistle after I got my wisdom teeth pulled, and I caught myself doing it twice that week :shobon:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

This episode is based on a Japanese superstition:
If you whistle at night, you'll call snakes. Some sources say thieves used to communicate this way, others say the snakes generally stand for misfortune.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Lurking Haro posted:

This episode is based on a Japanese superstition:
If you whistle at night, you'll call snakes. Some sources say thieves used to communicate this way, others say the snakes generally stand for misfortune.

It's based on more than just a Japanese superstition -- It's a boating superstition in general. Whistling specifically while boating or near the sea is, in many cultures, a bad omen. We even get the colloquialism "Whistle up a Storm" in English from our variant of the superstition. Snakes are also tied to boats and whistling in many other cultures. It seems to be because Snakes can whistle! But it's hard to tell where the superstition comes from.

Edit: Also, the assumption that this episode would look weird due to the production pause seems to have turned out correct. This episode looks really goddamn strange. Especially compared to the rest of Season 2. Looks more like a Season 1 episode. Everyone's faces and hairlines are really odd.

laplace fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 9, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

laplace posted:

Edit: Also, the assumption that this episode would look weird due to the production pause seems to have turned out correct. This episode looks really goddamn strange. Especially compared to the rest of Season 2. Looks more like a Season 1 episode. Everyone's faces and hairlines are really odd.

I can't tell anyone's faces apart, except for Ginko, season 1 or season 2.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
You guys remember this?

Clothes that Embrace the Mountain

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I can't tell anyone's faces apart, except for Ginko, season 1 or season 2.

I recognized the doctor that Ginko visits occasionally, but that's only because of his monocle.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

The show is pretty samefacey regardless, I just mean the faces themselves looked really weird this episode even compared to others.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

laplace posted:

6 ADs instead of the usual 3. Production probably fell apart.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I liked last week's unsympathetic subject and the animation was fine despite the production problems, but wow this week was a complete return to everything the show does well. Looks gorgeous, genuinely frightening, sincerely sweet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yaaaaay a happy ending :unsmith:

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

It was nice to have a happy ending. :)

The next episode will be the last one until the show resumes in autumn. Here's a source I found linked from MAL's forums.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Valsu posted:

It was nice to have a happy ending. :)

The next episode will be the last one until the show resumes in autumn. Here's a source I found linked from MAL's forums.

However, episode 11 and 12 will appear on Blu-Ray/DVD when they release.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Turtles! :argh:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The moral of this episode: turtles are assholes.

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

However, episode 11 and 12 will appear on Blu-Ray/DVD when they release.

Have they said what chapters these will be? Can't help but feel like we should have hit the Ragged Road episode by now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lenore03 posted:

Have they said what chapters these will be? Can't help but feel like we should have hit the Ragged Road episode by now.

Not my knowledge, no. Just have to wait and see.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Lenore03 posted:

I would not be shocked if Ragged Road were on the BD's considering the content. Also the fact that pretty much everyone has been waiting for it to be adapted.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
The episode guide on Wikipedia says the Blu-Ray stuff is "The Thicket Path" parts 1 and 2. This is, in fact, The Ragged Road.

Counting those, it looks like they've so far only skipped c33 & c38 among the first 38 chapters (26 of the first season + first 12 of the second season). In their place we've gotten c39 and c42 early.

c33 is "At the Foot of Lightning", c38 is "The Hidden Channel". Season 1 was even more random than its airing order than this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And *poof*, Mushishi is gone again. At least it's only a few months instead of 9 years.

Did the production delays wind up reducing the episode count at all? Or was it always going to be a 10-episode cour?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is the manga getting a new release? I was looking it up on Amazon to see how much it might cost to track down and saw that volume 1 had a kindle edition with a preorder option and a July release date. I couldn't find anything on Kodansha's website about it but they're listed as the publisher. It would be nice to not have to track down a bunch of out of print volumes but I hope it doesn't take forever to come out.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

And *poof*, Mushishi is gone again. At least it's only a few months instead of 9 years.

Did the production delays wind up reducing the episode count at all? Or was it always going to be a 10-episode cour?

The production delays are why 2 episodes are BD-only.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

That turtle is my new desktop background.

I like turtles. :downs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This show is such an interesting blend of naturalistic and surreal. I'm going to miss it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

aers posted:

The production delays are why 2 episodes are BD-only.

Those episodes better end up online and subtitled :argh:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

They've decided to air the missing episodes as a 1-hour special on 8/20. It'll probably be on CR.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, are mountain lords some kind of intermediary between the mushi world and the biological/physical world?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That seems about right, yes. If you remember back in season 1, there was a mushi-shi named Mujika who took over as mountain lord/guardian of his mountain for a time, and he basically tended to the mountain's health, making sure all the creatures and humans living there kept a balance. The last episode of season 1 featured a catfish mountain lord, too. If I remember correctly, both mountains were in the path of the light vein, like the one featured in this most recent episode.

I guess guardians for mountains on the path of the light vein is A Thing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So I haven't read the thread because I'm terrified of spoilers, but I basically haven't watched any Anime since the Escaflowne simulwatch and decided to pick up a bunch of poo poo to start sampling and maybe working my way though, starting with season one of Mushi-Shi.

Three episodes in and, uh...wow.

I mean, wow.

I'm not even sure what makes this show click so well for me. I mean, the art and music are both fantastic and the design on the Mushi is really fascinating and the animation is just a joy to look at, but if you just gave me a synopsis of the first three episodes, I'd probably write it off as a bore. It's a real 'greater than the sum of its parts' sort of a feel, something about the tone created by the blend of the writing, that gorgeous soundtrack, and the artwork that's so beautiful and melancholy. This feels like a weird metaphor, but I've kind of latched on to it - this show's just created this atmosphere that's so dense and rich that I just want to sink into it like a hot bath.

So, yeah, it's a loving hit and I should take ADTRW's advice on good shows more often. Looking forward to watching more. I'll be interested to see how much we wind up learning about Ginko - you'd kind of expect to in a show like this, but I get the feeling that it might be very difficult to elaborate too much on him without ruining the show's weird magic.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Ginko is interesting because in a lot of these episodes the show isn't really about him. He explains what's going on, and he offers a solution, but it's the people affected by the mushi, and their problems and decisions, that really drive it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I haven't read the thread because I'm terrified of spoilers, but I basically haven't watched any Anime since the Escaflowne simulwatch and decided to pick up a bunch of poo poo to start sampling and maybe working my way though, starting with season one of Mushi-Shi.

Three episodes in and, uh...wow.

I mean, wow.

I'm not even sure what makes this show click so well for me. I mean, the art and music are both fantastic and the design on the Mushi is really fascinating and the animation is just a joy to look at, but if you just gave me a synopsis of the first three episodes, I'd probably write it off as a bore. It's a real 'greater than the sum of its parts' sort of a feel, something about the tone created by the blend of the writing, that gorgeous soundtrack, and the artwork that's so beautiful and melancholy. This feels like a weird metaphor, but I've kind of latched on to it - this show's just created this atmosphere that's so dense and rich that I just want to sink into it like a hot bath.

So, yeah, it's a loving hit and I should take ADTRW's advice on good shows more often. Looking forward to watching more. I'll be interested to see how much we wind up learning about Ginko - you'd kind of expect to in a show like this, but I get the feeling that it might be very difficult to elaborate too much on him without ruining the show's weird magic.

There are actually several episodes that provide some backstory for Ginko, and other that imply information about him.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The two episodes of Mushi-Shi that got skipped are coming to crunchroll on Sunday!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So this new OVA is pretty much perfect. Tanyuu, the scribe with the forbidden mushi in her leg, is back! New, super interesting possibly recurring character! Really sweet ending! Just over a month till the weekly episodes resume!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, it was "sweet" but also quite bitter!

Guess the reason Tanyuu kept recognizing the guy as a new person from time to time was because that wasn't the first time he had to give up his artificial soul :(

Great, dark episode. And I dare say, hints of something bigger?!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's finally up on Crunchyroll!!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
That was a dang good episode, maybe one of my all-time favorites in the series. Lots of mystery, some hints of bigger things, and it was a pretty dark episode all around, more so than usual. October definitely can't come soon enough.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Nice double episode. Looking forward to the final series in the fall.

AAH ZOMBIE MUSHISHI

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

just got done with the original series a little while ago.

had a good time.

where do I pick up now? should I go back and rewatch specific episodes for added value ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
... Am I missing something here? I swear that 2 episode special (Path of Thorns) came out in the summer, because I remember watching it a while ago on Crunchyroll.

LaTex Fetish posted:

just got done with the original series a little while ago.

had a good time.

where do I pick up now? should I go back and rewatch specific episodes for added value ?

Not necessary. Just go to Crunchyroll where an OVA and the second season has been airing. All of it is free for non-premium users now since part 2 of the second season didn't start yet.

e:VV Not what I meant, but I see where I went wrong. I hadn't seen all those earlier posts before now and assumed they were made recently.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2014

• Locked thread