Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Working through it, and it's great. It's like someone read up on biology and ecosystems, and merged it with their own take on Japanese mythology.

If I had to compare it with something else, it would be Kino's Journey. And it's quite a bit better than that. But while they hit similar tones, the way they go about it are different: Kino's Journey is cold and almost anthroplogical, while Mushi-Shi is more conventional and warm and personal. Kino deals with people as metaphors for society, Ginko deals with people as individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Success! Mushi-shi status: completed.

This show really was excellent on every level and in every way.

The one downside is that the OVA didn't look as gorgeous as the original series, alot more still frames, off models. Same good writing and subtle emotions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh, Izasa's back, another recurring character! Last episode of S1 was great, it's nice to know that Ginko always had that guy and his friend as an acquaintance.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Novel spoiler everyone's a mushi and a giant intelligent mushi travels around transforming humans back into mushi.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo, that was so good. It started weak, but it hit its stride and the final scene was absolutely incredible. This show's greatest strength is its ability to not only place the audience in with the characters, but place the characters in with one another so to demonstrate the common humanity that links all people.

Paracelsus posted:

Not being malevolent doesn't make them not dangerous, though.

It's best to think of them as part of a greater, amoral ecology. This is basically one environmentalist parable. You want to avoid perturbing environments willy-nilly, just in case you knock out some keystone or producer species. Yes, some are dangerous, but you should only kill them at a last resort.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's magic mushi I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well that was the most violent episode of Mushishi I've seen in a long time. Most Mushishi stories have somehow avoided the spectre of man employing violence on his fellow man, but it is, after all, an inalienable part of the human condition. And it was even an accident.

Ginko has his clothes and lenses, a few hunters have matchlocks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Looked like the touch of death to me, like he was sucking out the life force and causing the animals to rapidly decay.

Bit of a biological screwup there, decay is simply the next stage of life, not the absence of life. But this show is, after all, working off old vitalist beliefs and spirituality.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't think that research was that valuable, it's probably something like, "this is how you can cut someone's head off and the body alive long enough to graft a new head." Not something you want to get out in public.

Next up, Special episode, "Tales of the Mushi". It's Tanyu time!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, are mountain lords some kind of intermediary between the mushi world and the biological/physical world?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I expected the beginnings of Ginko's character arc before he matures into the calm collected veteran he is now.

I sure as hell wasn't expecting him to gently caress up that badly.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The real creeping sense of dread from the suspicion that you'd forgotten something was when I realised that they didn't have the OP song.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What it does mean is that their daughter loses her parents, and they will never meet and help raise their grandchild. From that point onwards, from the perspective of everybody else, they have disappeared from the world.

It's also interesting that the man's not interested in correcting the mistakes he made in the past, and the retributions that caused his family's business to fail, because he valued his relationship with his wife. He'd grown up alot from a spoiled brat, he's not greedy and chooses a humble life.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ViggyNash posted:

Because the man that walked into the tunnel doesn't exist anymore. He's effectively dead. The man she marries on the next loop is a copy of the original him who has never experienced all those time loops, like she didn't when he was time looping.

Not really, it doesn't create new worlds and new Ginkos, this mushi simply sits atop of multiple worlds and lures in its prey, then transfers its consciousness to another worldline and makes them do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
We had a run of bad dads, now it's time for a bad mom as well.

Ultimately, I think there are some relationships that aren't salvageable, and can only be ended in a certain way that is satisfactory for everyone.

• Locked thread