Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
Welcome to the 2014 edition of the All Suck Baseball League. In this league, the object is to score points by creating the worst lineup of batters and pitchers that you can. The worst lineup of players who still manage to get playing time, that is - you won't get any points for players on the bench. Here are the scoring settings:

This has been a fun league in the past so I decided to bring it back for another year. I'm sending out emails to all the owners from last year, and I will give them a few days to post in this thread and reclaim their spot. I suspect there will be a few open spots, so if you are interested in joining the league post here. The league is on ESPN.

After all the spots are full we will need to decide on a draft time. I'd also like to get input on whether people prefer to use weekly or daily rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
That's twelve people so far. It was a ten person league in the past but I think we could swing twelve. I will give it another day to see if any past members come to reclaim their spots, but if not, everyone who posted will be in. Then I'll send out the invites.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Tavarin and angrygodofjebus, you two should already have access to the league. Everyone else, either PM me your email address or post it in this thread and I will invite you. Rand alPaul, if someone doesn't claim their spot you'll be next in line.

We'll need to set up the draft time. I think having it before the opening games this weekend is probably too soon, so that leaves the options of:

(1) Start the league in week 1, and two games will already have been played when the draft happens, so the points from those games will count in the week 1 matchups, or
(2) Start the league in week 2.

I'd lean toward the first option, but if most people want to start in week 2 we can do that.

Also, are there preferences for weekly vs. daily rosters? It's currently set as weekly, but if there's a consensus for daily I can change it.

Vogon Poet fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 20, 2014

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

By the way, the guy who created the league isn't playing this year, but unlike the other old owners, I wasn't able to delete him, so I put you as a second owner to that team. You should have full control over the team; let me know if there are any problems.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

So because not everyone got back to me with contact info, there are currently ten members, and I decided to just take the league size back to ten rather than risk having an uneven number. Also, Monicro posted contact info but hasn't joined after I sent the invite, so please join.

Since everyone who expressed a preference wanted daily rosters, I switched it to that.

Based on the people who expressed preferences about draft times, I tentatively set it for 8:00 pm EDT on Thursday. If it would work better overall to move it up or back by an hour or two, I can do that.

Vogon Poet fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 23, 2014

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Draft is tomorrow at 8 pm Eastern. Remember to set your auto-picks if you can't make it!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

FairGame posted:

Yeah, nevermind; it's showing up now. I guess they have to wait for the official scorer to not change his mind or something; who knows.

Yeah, a few stats (errors, GIDPs, and wild pitches; I'm not sure if there are any others) don't show up until the next day.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

I am going to murder Justin Smoak

I still remember in 2012, Smoak was really bad that year and thus an awesome player for my team, but near the end of the season he had a little hot streak and his homer on the last day of the first fantasy playoff round knocked me out by a slim margin.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

My batters just went 18/36 with 10 extra base hits on the day. :wtf:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Monicro posted:

I finally bench Bedard after 5 starts of sub-1 ERA ball and hes given up 5 hits and 2 runs through 1 i hate this stupid league
Huh? Looks like you still had him as a starter. And good thing for you, he scored 890 points. :stare:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Did anyone have Aaron Brooks in this league?

If so, did Saturday's start against Toronto induce a case of priapism because of the excitement related to getting all those points?
Huh, it appears that ESPN Fantasy Baseball doesn't know he exists. Too bad.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Wow, my team scored 8075 points for the week, the most in league history for a normal seven-day matchup. My pitchers collectively put up a 1.82 WHIP and 6.65 ERA and allowed 17 HRs in 65 innings.

Also, thanks to Mark Kotsay All Stars for dropping (now league-leading catcher) Tyler Flowers, who I was going to draft if they didn't, early in the season.

quote:

After batting over .300 for much of the first two months of the season, Flowers' numbers have taken a steep downturn halfway through June. He has just two hits in 30 at-bats this month, striking out 21 times.
:smug:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

:getin:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

On June 5 I added Eric Hosmer to my team. At the time he was slugging .358 for the season.

From June 5 to June 14 he slugged .484. I dropped him.

From June 15 to June 30 he slugged .215. I added him again.

From July 1 to July 9 he slugged .517. :bang: I dropped him again, so look for him to go on another slump!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Haha wow in the Rangers' 16-0 win over the White Sox I had the Rangers' SP Colby Lewis and my weekly opponent had the White Sox's SP John Danks. 965 points for them, -400 for me.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Before yesterday Yunel Escobar had 4 homers in 127 games this season.

Yesterday he hit 2 homers. Oh, and scored -590 points.

:negative:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Playoffs start today. Good luck, everyone!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Tavarin posted:

Ah finish in a tie for the best record in the league and losing in the first round thanks to AJ Ellis and Chris Coghlan both having absurd days. :smith:
I like your strategy of using seven starting pitchers in one day in a desperate comeback attempt. It will be interesting to see how that goes!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Tavarin posted:

Ah finish in a tie for the best record in the league and losing in the first round thanks to AJ Ellis and Chris Coghlan both having absurd days. :smith:

And looks like you're getting saved by Mark Trumbo and Jay Bruce having absurd days. Talk about a dramatic finish. :stare:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

deadEd posted:

WELP

I guess I'd be more upset if Trumbo and Bruce's stupid strikeout totals hadn't spent the last several weeks giving me enough wins to even make the playoffs. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

This was seriously fun though, if you do it again next year I'm so in.

Glad you liked it!

Championship round, and after five games started my pitchers have allowed a total of one run in 33 innings. :psyduck:

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Make that six games, 41 innings, one run allowed. :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Now that the season is over, I'd like to pay tribute to Javier Baez.

This young Cubs prospect is regarded as having a lot of potential as a power hitter. Baez burst onto the scene after an early August call up with three homers in his first three games. He continued to start every game for the Cubs through the end of the season, but his ensuing performance made it clear that the 21-year-old was not yet ready for the big leagues. He ended the season with a .169/.227/.324 slash line, while also striking out a whopping 95 times in 229 PAs. Not only that, but he also committed 10 errors in 52 games - extrapolated to a full season, he would have led the league in errors.

What does this mean for his fantasy performance? Baez averaged 130.3 points per game in the backwards scoring league. This is the fourth highest average of any batter in the league this year. Baez played in 52 games. The three batters with higher averages played in one, six, and four games. The next highest average of anyone who played at least 50 games was Dan Uggla's 97.8. Uggla's playing time dwindled and then disappeared entirely because of how terribly he was doing. Baez produced a whopping 33% more fantasy points per game and yet continued to be an everyday fixture in the Cubs' lineup. The fact that he was able to stay in the lineup so consistently while producing numbers at that level is something I can't remember ever seeing before in this league.

Baez was especially remarkable toward the end of the season. Over the last 30 days, he scored 4420 fantasy points, averaging 157.9 per game. The next highest total over that period was 3235 from Austin Jackson. The difference in total fantasy points between the two was greater than the difference between Jackson and the 21st highest scorer over that period. During the playoffs, Baez was the highest scorer in the league in each of the two weeks. Over the last 15 days (essentially the playoffs), Baez scored 2470 points, averaging 176.4 per game. In that time, he came to the plate 63 times. He got nine hits, and they were all singles. He walked five times. That's a .155/.222/.155 line. He struck out 26 times. During the last 15 days, Baez's rate of strikeouts per PA (.413) was higher than his OPS (.377).

On Baseball Reference, I noticed a stat called Offensive Winning Percentage: "The percentage of games a team with nine of this player batting would win. Assumes average pitching and defense." Baez's is .234. A lineup full of Javier Baezes would thus go 38-124 and set a new record for futility in the modern era. Amusingly, 2014 Mike Trout's OWn% is .766, meaning a lineup full of Javier Baezes would be exactly as bad as a lineup full of Mike Trouts would be good.

Okay, well, that was fun. Here's to you, Javier Baez; thanks for helping me win the championship! :toot:

Vogon Poet fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread