Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hbag posted:

this is how i got it looking after spending all last night loving around with it. i think it looks alright but its still missing something

back in 2003 there was a lainwm project that ran on linux and freebsd

hbag posted:

semi-related but ive been seeing screenshots of people with what looks like real-time stats being printed onto their wallpaper, sometimes with fancy graphs n poo poo, instead of in a terminal and ive always wondered what theyre using to do that
make a script that outputs the information you want with the formatting you want, use this to create a label using imagemagicks magick(1) then use composite(1) to put it on the image you want to set as a background image, and use swaybg (or whatever utility modifies the background image of your window manager) to set it using a cronjob

it used to be all the rage when rainmeter was in active development, and conky for unix-like systems can do most of it automatically, but is less customizable and more prone to breakage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh god rainmeter

that was what i was trying to think of lol and kept coming up blank. had to link a windows utility, shameful

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

oh god rainmeter

that was what i was trying to think of lol and kept coming up blank. had to link a windows utility, shameful
im not gonna lie, i have no idea where i pulled that out from

i usually can't remember poo poo from back then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

im not gonna lie, i have no idea where i pulled that out from

i usually can't remember poo poo from back then

yeah, i mean, i remember using it for probably two days, lol. turns out it's not nearly as useful as it looks

of course those were the days where "post your desktop" threads were all over the nerd internet and you kind of had to have something similar for it to look cool

but it kinda faded in popularity nearly as quick as its rise. i was kinda surprised i forgot its name (i remember that era very vivdly), but i'm sure there's a ton of little utilities and poo poo all of us used to use back then that are basically just long forgotten

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Athas posted:

See that's the cool thing about modern LaTeX usage: you can ignore the package manager aspect, because you just install every single loving LaTeX package up front through your normal system-level package manager.

if I wanted a giant pile of bloated poo poo I would just use Microsoft Office

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if i wanted a giant pile of bloated poo poo on my desktop i would turn my monitor off

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Samurize was another stats on desktop type thing that popular around the same time.

Best copland was the stallone movie where he had to use his ear to break the window of a submerged car.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

eschaton posted:

the only thing one should do with EFI or UEFI is install an Open Firmware implementation atop it

if only IEEE-1275 hadn’t been allowed to lapse and had been written into procurement contracts

the world would be a better place

ok chuck moore

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

do anyone else get both chromium and edge to freeze and/or crash if you:
  1. be in a wayland session
  2. use wayland as ozone platform in chrome (chrome://gpu and check "Ozone platform" says wayland)
  3. click and hold the mouse button down in an empty space on a web page, and then drag the mouse around a bit
tested this in both edge and chromium, and it makes the browser crash with "process_memory_range.cc(75)] read out of range" errors and SIGSEGV

it's a type of bug that's not that easy to search around for, so i just wondered if it was just me.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Works for me on Vivaldi. Would be pretty devastating if using mouse gestures crashed the browser.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah it's annoying. works if ozone platform is x11 though. this is on alder lake-based laptop

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Iirc chromium based browsers had some weird problems with hardware accelerated rendering and that weirdo ozone thing sometimes. I'd check if it works with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, apt has a new look

can actually see what you're upgrading now lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tankakern posted:

do anyone else get both chromium and edge to freeze and/or crash if you:
  1. be in a wayland session
  2. use wayland as ozone platform in chrome (chrome://gpu and check "Ozone platform" says wayland)
  3. click and hold the mouse button down in an empty space on a web page, and then drag the mouse around a bit
tested this in both edge and chromium, and it makes the browser crash with "process_memory_range.cc(75)] read out of range" errors and SIGSEGV

it's a type of bug that's not that easy to search around for, so i just wondered if it was just me.

what now? i'm on i think comet lake (idk its 10th gen, and wayland) and don't see ozone or any other gases

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
my first linux was red hat 4.2 that i bought online in 1997 i think and it arrived in a fancy box. i had no idea what a linux was, but i had seen screenshots of the enlightenment window manager and thought it was just a beautiful kind of windows.

anyway it took me weeks to learn how to partition and install red hat back before it had a simple wizard and then to learn linux and then to download and compile all the dependencies for enlightenment with dialup, and yeah it looked pretty good.

now i just want everything to look something like windows 98 (but with higher pixel density) and follow a basic, consistent design.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the first linux i actually used for more than a few days on my personal system was coincidentally whatever red hat version was right before fedora core 1 (before that i'd run debian on my dreamcast and pc, but not for much more than playing with). i had been keeping up with the news and all, so i knew that was coming, but was still mildly annoyed that the os changed its name a few weeks after installing it lol

still i think i had a geforce 3 at the time, was playing a lot of UT99 and remember it being way faster under linux than windows (iirc 2000, i don't think xp was out yet)

e: and also iirc there wasn't any very easy way to go straight from red hat to fedora core, you basically had to install it from scratch. i'm pretty sure that was also the first distro i'd seen that was distributed with a dvd image, otherwise it was like 4-5 cds

with only having a 1x dvd-rw at the time, since they were crazy expensive new technology and writing one (1) dvd took literally hours and cost like $10 per disc, obviously i went with the cds since a way-too-easy to attain buffer underrun would result in not only a ton of wasted time but also a very expensive coaster

kinda crazy what we used to put up with lol

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 18, 2024

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can login to Wayland in NixOS KDE but not X11.

It just says it can't find the screen.

Only thing keeping Windows on my 4tb drive is the fact I NEED synergy/waynergy/input-leap/barrier to work and they don't function properly in Wayland :cry:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

gabensraum posted:

now i just want everything to look something like windows 98 (but with higher pixel density) and follow a basic, consistent design.

from ms thread

Beeftweeter posted:

well all of you pining for Old Windows But Modern are in luck, this aurorae theme i found is a loving dead on ringer for win98. seriously, it's flawless

https://store.kde.org/p/2113542/

since its kde you can, of course, use a widget that is more like whichever start menu version you prefer. then just use wine for your games

e: having actually used it for a while since then it actually isn't flawless, as long as you keep freetype antialiasing off, lol. it looks like poo poo since the kerning gets all messed up (you can see it in the screenshot above, but i figured that was because it was using spanish language. it's not)

luckily you can get freetype to approximate cleartype though, so it ends up looking/feeling like i guess winxp with an old windows flag/icons. but at least you get correct kerning that way. plus, really, using it in hidpi without antialiasing just looks bad

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 18, 2024

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my first linux was corel linux, but I couldn't get my modem to work so i reinstalled windows
I didn't use linux on the desktop until like 2012 at my first real sysadmin job where I used fedora for 2 years as part of a hazing ritual

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mycophobia posted:

my first linux was mandrake back in 2003 i think when i was 13 and i had a winmodem and i didnt know what winmodems were and i nuked the windows xp install to install it and i didnt have a recovery cd so i just had a useless, internetless linux computer for a while until i got my dad to buy a retail copy of win xp

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

installed red hat 6.2 all the way back in 98 or so

being at a college means you get fast ethernet access whenever you want

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Truga posted:

poo poo, apt has a new look

can actually see what you're upgrading now lmao

put

code:
APT::Get::Show-Versions "true";
in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ and it'll even show the version numbers

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, i mean, i remember using it for probably two days, lol. turns out it's not nearly as useful as it looks

of course those were the days where "post your desktop" threads were all over the nerd internet and you kind of had to have something similar for it to look cool

but it kinda faded in popularity nearly as quick as its rise. i was kinda surprised i forgot its name (i remember that era very vivdly), but i'm sure there's a ton of little utilities and poo poo all of us used to use back then that are basically just long forgotten
this was also the era of windows shell replacements where people would customize things that put even the worst hollywood animations to shame

emerge and talisman desktop are the two that stand out in my memory

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Slackware 4.0 on floppy disks was my first Linux distribution. :corsair:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

apparently the freebsd ftp archive does contain the 1.0 release of freebsd on i386, despite it containing some of the files that got listed in the usl v bsdi/ucb suit

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

this was also the era of windows shell replacements where people would customize things that put even the worst hollywood animations to shame

emerge and talisman desktop are the two that stand out in my memory

I used to make litestep themes :cripes:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

on my first Linux I enabled compiz to get the wobbly windows, played around with it for a few minutes, then went back to Windows XP to play SimCity 4 :shobon:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

e: having actually used it for a while since then it actually isn't flawless, as long as you keep freetype antialiasing off, lol. it looks like poo poo since the kerning gets all messed up (you can see it in the screenshot above, but i figured that was because it was using spanish language. it's not)

yeah. linux has never been able to get font rendering right. even with the expired patents.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

does that theme use a hand-hinted pixel font for that aesthetic or is it trying to use MS Sans Serif without anti-aliasing?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

other people posted:

I used to make litestep themes :cripes:

i used to make windows xp themes. with a resource editor. because i was one of the first people to map out the msstyles format :negative:

corona familiar posted:

does that theme use a hand-hinted pixel font for that aesthetic or is it trying to use MS Sans Serif without anti-aliasing?

it's using freesans (which is a helvetica clone, just like ms sans serif) without any anti-aliasing or hinting

akadajet posted:

yeah. linux has never been able to get font rendering right. even with the expired patents.

the above is really why it's that bad looking. freetype with the cleartype patent mode enabled is indistinguishable from the implementation in windows xp-7 (ms changed it in 8), and freesans just has lovely hinting and kerning anyway

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

One time I used discrete gates to alter the output of a 7447 BCD to 7 segment decoder, because I didn't like how it rendered the 6 and 9.

Pixel hinting with a karnaugh map.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
what's wrong with them? you just wanted tails/stems or what?

i mean, looks like a 6 or 9 to me lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Upper and lower horz bar. It's not wrong, but I prefer the modern pattern.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

linux has always had better font rendering than pretty much everyone except apple tho, and now also apple because apple dropped subpixel hinting/antialias

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

linux has always had better font rendering than pretty much everyone except apple tho, and now also apple because apple dropped subpixel hinting/antialias

yeah, if you, for example: run a windows app under wine, while having the correct (i.e. copied from windows) fonts with the cleartype patent encumbered algorithm enabled, and you turn off allowing the window manager to decorate/control the window — a screenshot of it is a 1:1 match with windows (using the same theme, obviously, wine does support msstyles now)

the problem really isn't freetype or how linux handles fonts, it's mostly the fonts themselves. most foss fonts don't bother with any opentype or even truetype features (while apple's usually have even more than that, they use AAT; ms's fonts mostly just use opentype hinting) and end up looking weird as a result of those features being expected. if hinting instructions are not in the font then it will attempt to auto-hint them, and that generally does not work well

e: like, the switch, ps4/5, a whole lot more and even a couple of apple products all use freetype. they look fine because the fonts are good

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 18, 2024

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

apparently the freebsd ftp archive does contain the 1.0 release of freebsd on i386, despite it containing some of the files that got listed in the usl v bsdi/ucb suit

that stuff was all opened later on by Caldera, I’m pretty sure it was all taken down (but preserved) between the start of the AT&T suit and Caldera’s acquisition and (limited) release of the USL intellectual property

my first UNIX was SVR3 on a 3B2, before either Linux or 386BSD existed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My first Linux was gentoo in 2004 because neither Fedora nor Debian would do 1024x768 on my laptop, only 640x480

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

that stuff was all opened later on by Caldera, I’m pretty sure it was all taken down (but preserved) between the start of the AT&T suit and Caldera’s acquisition and (limited) release of the USL intellectual property

my first UNIX was SVR3 on a 3B2, before either Linux or 386BSD existed

my first unix was A/UX but i had no idea at the time lol. it did an extremely good job of integrating with mac os

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, if you, for example: run a windows app under wine, while having the correct (i.e. copied from windows) fonts with the cleartype patent encumbered algorithm enabled, and you turn off allowing the window manager to decorate/control the window — a screenshot of it is a 1:1 match with windows (using the same theme, obviously, wine does support msstyles now)

the problem really isn't freetype or how linux handles fonts, it's mostly the fonts themselves. most foss fonts don't bother with any opentype or even truetype features (while apple's usually have even more than that, they use AAT; ms's fonts mostly just use opentype hinting) and end up looking weird as a result of those features being expected. if hinting instructions are not in the font then it will attempt to auto-hint them, and that generally does not work well

e: like, the switch, ps4/5, a whole lot more and even a couple of apple products all use freetype. they look fine because the fonts are good

I use IBM Plex as my desktop font and it looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Woolie Wool posted:

I use IBM Plex as my desktop font and it looks great

yeah they bothered to put a ton of hinting instructions in the whole family, ime most of the lovely ones come from google fonts (although you can find e.g. the plex family there too). i was using plex sans with debian for quite a while until i switched to clear, now i just use (a real version of) neue haas grotesk

e: clear does come with intel's clear family (clear sans, serif, mono) and it's decent looking and well hinted too, but in regular use looks a bit too chunky for my tastes

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 18, 2024