Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not caring about fonts is the cool thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

:wrong:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Counterpoint: :yeah:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yXlLOKqjpc

NVK running Control at respectable framerates

RTX OFF of course, and the driver isn't at the point where they're doing any serious perf work yet but like, it works. You can already play graphically intensive games with it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

FlapYoJacks posted:

I can read letters in almost any font idk maybe it's a skill issue

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yXlLOKqjpc

NVK running Control at respectable framerates

RTX OFF of course, and the driver isn't at the point where they're doing any serious perf work yet but like, it works. You can already play graphically intensive games with it.

cool

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
my friend told me he was getting into this linux thing and had downloaded a thing called gentoo cause he was on dialup and it was a smaller download compiling stuff from binaries than downloading an OS in one piece...

he still uses it today. Was good to just dive head first in high school and learn how it works.

Horsebanger fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 19, 2024

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
still waiting for it to compile

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

udev-hid-bpf: quickstart tooling to fix your HID devices with eBPF

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

c btrfs s: filesystem corruption on my NAS, lost 3 TB of TV shows lmao. dogshit filesystem

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

c btrfs s: filesystem corruption on my NAS, lost 3 TB of TV shows lmao. dogshit filesystem

well that was dumb.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ext4 stays winning

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

just checked and, yep, all the linux isos on my NTFS drives are totally fine. glad i paid for my file system instead of grabbing a free one off the internet

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

just checked and, yep, all the linux isos on my NTFS drives are totally fine. glad i paid for my file system instead of grabbing a free one off the internet

everything surviving is getting moved over to a windows box because at least SMB works right 100% of the time that way and I haven't had LVM kill any disks yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i use btrfs on top of lvm on top of mdraid, works4me.

all my important stuff resides on at least one high-TBW ssd mirror tho.

idk why you're talking about smb as an alternative to btrfs?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
*sits on tree stump*

Got my start on Debian Woody because my laptop at the time ran like poo poo on Windows. The goddamn thing didn't even have a wifi radio, so I had to use a PCMCIA card, which was high technology at the time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
orinoco gold hell yeah

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh yeah I remember connecting some orinoco crap to a sharp zaurus back when i was a childe

good poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

once you get into the flow it's like the packets just sail away

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

once you get into the flow it's like the packets just sail away

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

orinoco gold hell yeah

i had one of these in the form of an airport pcmcia card i had to unscrew the bottom of my imac to install. popped more ram in it while i was in there too :coal:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo, that loving sucks :sympathy:

Jonny 290 posted:

i use btrfs on top of lvm on top of mdraid, works4me.

all my important stuff resides on at least one high-TBW ssd mirror tho.

idk why you're talking about smb as an alternative to btrfs?
wait, you're duplicating functionality between btrfs and lvm on top of mdraid?
good luck, i guess

smb isn't an alternative to btrfs, there's only one and it's not going to help now.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Let us know how bcachefs works out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i'm using btrfs because that's what synology uses

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
filesystems should filesystem
volume managers should volume manage
raid should raid

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ok boomer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

raid should raid
unfortunately nobody has designed something that's both three separate parts, and also a transactionally atomic system with a hashtree of data+metadata+checksums using dynamically allocated nodes without severely degrading performance that still manages to be self-healing in all but catastrophic hardware failure scenarios
there's no indication that it's possible to separate them out to maintain the functionality in the one implementation that does all those things.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

unfortunately nobody has designed something that's both three separate parts, and also a transactionally atomic system with a hashtree of data+metadata+checksums using dynamically allocated nodes without severely degrading performance
there's no indication that it's possible to separate them out to maintain the functionality in the one implementation that does all those things.

doesn't APFS kinda work this way

e: like idk if it does, i've only read high level overviews because i generally don't care about filesystems

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think the answer is zfs but lmfao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beeftweeter posted:

doesn't APFS kinda work this way

e: like idk if it does, i've only read high level overviews because i generally don't care about filesystems
Adam Leventhal did some pretty amazing work in covering APFS; here's a paragraph from the conclusion that answers your question:

the 10 part series on Adam Leventhal's blog posted:

There are some seemingly absent or ancillary design goals: performance, openness, and data integrity. Squeezing the most IOPS or throughput out of a device probably isn’t critical on watchOS, and it’s relevant only to a small percentage of macOS users. It will be interesting to see how APFS performs once it ships (measuring any earlier would only misinform the public and insult the APFS team). The APFS development docs have a bullet on open source: “An open source implementation is not available at this time.” I don’t expect APFS to be open source at this time or any other, but prove me wrong, Apple. If APFS becomes world-class I’d love to see it in Linux and FreeBSD–maybe Microsoft would even jettison their ReFS experiment. My experience with OpenZFS has shown that open source accelerates that path to excellence. It’s a shame that APFS lacks checksums for user data and doesn’t provide for data redundancy. Data integrity should be job one for a file system, and I believe that that’s true for a watch or phone as much as it is for a server.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

raid should raid

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dont use btrfs on lvm

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Tankakern posted:

dont use btrfs on lvm

*nods with complete understanding*

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Shaggar posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I will continue using ext4 until ext5 or the heat death of the universe happens.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've been using xfs for a few years and it's been uneventful

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm using reiserfs for its killer performance, though it does suffer from the occasional fragmentation issue

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
imagine even knowing what filesystem you’re using, let alone caring, unless someone’s paying you to

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

imagine even knowing what filesystem you’re using, let alone caring, unless someone’s paying you to

Yes, this is the Linux thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i know what fs i'm using (ext4 on linux laptops, apfs on the ios devices [hfs+ on the old ones], ext3 on the router and android devices, ntfs on windows things, exfat on my cameras). i just don't give a gently caress and want it to work and not lose any of my files, without me janitoring it at all

and to be fair, most of the above do that. i probably had the most problems with hfs+, but that still wasn't many. i've only lost files due to mechanical failures afaik

e: and because of that i've been all solid state in new stuff since 2010, probably eliminated my last spinning hd in 2013 lol

e2: oh wait i actually completely lost a drive because of apfs. but that was the beta version, so

e3: there is no ext5, i am not from the future :ninja:

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 20, 2024