Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

big black turnout posted:

I'm using reiserfs for its killer performance, though it does suffer from the occasional fragmentation issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yessssssss

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i know what fs i'm using (ext4 or 5 on linux laptops,

ext5? are you from the future?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spankmeister posted:

i could swear one said ext5 but i guess not lol. see, i really don't care

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

A lot of chromebooks don't have battery backup for the RTCs so it can be hard to stay in the right decade

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

A lot of chromebooks don't have battery backup for the RTCs so it can be hard to stay in the right decade

every time the battery dies, disco's back baby

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

imagine even knowing what filesystem you’re using, let alone caring, unless someone’s paying you to

that's kinda the whole point

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

my impression of linux filesystems is that your choices are ext4 which you should use, the one that is slightly faster than ext4 but loses data if the system crashes, slow zfs, slow reimplemented from first principles zfs, and a bunch of filesystems you should avoid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wonder if the wikipedia editors would allow it if it said "written by a convicted wife murderer" with a citation.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol reiser fs support persisted in the kernel until last year

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

lol reiser fs support persisted in the kernel until last year

they finally killed it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

they finally killed it?
They're just waiting until they can find the body to officially declare it dead

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

they finally killed it?

Only because nobody wants to volunteer to maintain the code lol.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Someone would probably get volunteered if that thing had any users. But an fs without users is a great candidate for killing, because nobody will notice it gone.

In other news, I had the misfortune of using iscsiadm. I had somehow avoided dealing with it until now.

I am not a fan. The CLI is loving garbage. Even with a conceptual model of how iscsi works in my head it's confusing to use. The manpage is not much better.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tankakern posted:

dont use btrfs on lvm

unless you’re also using controller-implemented (“hardware”) raid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

unless you’re also using controller-implemented (“hardware”) raid

that kinda reminds me, does an implementation found in uefi count as hardware or software raid?

i know the option is there in some machines because they use separate controllers, but i guess intel also has some weirdo implementation that even shows up on one of my laptops (though being from aliexpress it does apparently have a "debug" bios with a lot of different options that just don't work on the machine). it's not like i could really use it anyway since there's only one msata slot (not even nvme/m.2), i'm just curious if that kind of thing uses a separate controller

i know that a lot of them are just hardware integrated into the mobo, e.g. the one on my desktop mobo since it requires drivers, but it's not made by intel (some gigabyte braded GRAID thing that is afaict a rebranded jmicron deal)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

Someone would probably get volunteered if that thing had any users. But an fs without users is a great candidate for killing, because nobody will notice it gone.

In other news, I had the misfortune of using iscsiadm. I had somehow avoided dealing with it until now.

I am not a fan. The CLI is loving garbage. Even with a conceptual model of how iscsi works in my head it's confusing to use. The manpage is not much better.

i don't really understand how iscsi works at all, but i'd like to since even windows supports it

and so does my consumer-grade router, lol, and i'd like to disconnect the external nvme ssd i have it using atm since that regularly gets third-degree burn hot despite having a thermal pad and heatsink in the enclosure

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
take my wife, please

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Iscsi itself isn't all that complex. You have scsi, and you do it via IP. Nodes have an identifier, and can expose block devices.

It gets a bit more complicated because to get redundant paths it's normal to expose the same LUN via different IPs from different network interfaces over different storage switches. And on the client side you would also use several network interfaces.

So let's say you have 1 PB of storage using 2 controllers with 2 network cards. They expose a LUN, so if you ask the storage controller it tells you you can connect to the same LUN via 4 addresses.

On the client side you may have 2 network interfaces. So if you let autodiscover wire everything up you have 2 * 2 * 2 block devices all pointing at the same LUN via different paths, so you use multipathd to condense it back down to a single device.

Imagine you have 8 LUNS, you get 8 * 2 * 2 * 2 block devices on the client.

You need good tooling to not go crazy, and iscsiadm is not a good tool.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

oooh so that's the point with multipathd

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you learn something new everyday!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

that kinda reminds me, does an implementation found in uefi count as hardware or software raid?
on a desktop pc, it's certainly a software raid unless you separately bought an expensive raid controller. there's a "raid controller" on the motherboard that can handle your drives, but it uses the cpu to crunch poo poo, there's no dedicated hardware for it

usually, you'll know immediately when hardware raid is present because you get another screen after boot with probably another hotkey to enter it and a very dumb UI that puts 1980s BIOSes to shame

honestly between server cpu cores costing fuckall, and hardware raid being just as if not more flaky but much harder to debug than software raid, i avoid it. the only added value of expensive controllers these days is battery backed buffers, but outside hpc, big write buffers are kinda obsolete with the speeds u.2 ssds get these days

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Truga posted:

on a desktop pc, it's certainly a software raid unless you separately bought an expensive raid controller. there's a "raid controller" on the motherboard that can handle your drives, but it uses the cpu to crunch poo poo, there's no dedicated hardware for it

usually, you'll know immediately when hardware raid is present because you get another screen after boot with probably another hotkey to enter it and a very dumb UI that puts 1980s BIOSes to shame

honestly between server cpu cores costing fuckall, and hardware raid being just as if not more flaky but much harder to debug than software raid, i avoid it. the only added value of expensive controllers these days is battery backed buffers, but outside hpc, big write buffers are kinda obsolete with the speeds u.2 ssds get these days

that all makes sense. so what's the deal with the GRAID thing i have on my gigabyte mobo? i know what you're talking about re: addon cards having separate loading screens, they've done that forever — but if i enable that option, it does have something similar. it comes after the uefi environment loads though, so maybe it uses some program to load the firmware from the chip or something? idk

like i said i think it's some rebranded jmicron thing, but since it's in storage i can't tell you what specific model

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

that all makes sense. so what's the deal with the GRAID thing i have on my gigabyte mobo? i know what you're talking about re: addon cards having separate loading screens, they've done that forever — but if i enable that option, it does have something similar. it comes after the uefi environment loads though, so maybe it uses some program to load the firmware from the chip or something? idk

like i said i think it's some rebranded jmicron thing, but since it's in storage i can't tell you what specific model

GRAID THESE NUTS

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use btrfs on LVM that is provisioned over an encrypted block device that itself is split over RAID 10.

What’s the big fuss???

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I use btrfs on LVM that is provisioned over an encrypted block device that itself is split over RAID 10.

What’s the big fuss???

I use windows and don’t think about my file system at all

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i think about my filesystem a lot when i find myself using windows

because that filesystem is slow as poo poo

though technically that's because of windows io rather than any particular filesystem running on it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sb hermit posted:

What’s the big fuss???

just remove lvm from that equation and we wont fuzz at all

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Help! USB isn't working on my router.

It's an Aruba AP-303H running OpenWrt. It's based on a Qualcomm IPQ4019 SoC.

The SoC two USB controllers for USB 2.0, and USB 3.0. The external USB port is on the USB 2.0 controller, I'm pretty sure. Lsusb can see the two hubs (part of the USB controllers inside the SoC).

Here's a bootlog. A keyboard is plugged into the USB port. But I think it fails when trying to talk to the USB 2.0 hub inside the SoC.

Pastebin: serial console full boot log

Very early in the boot, the kernel flips on a GPIO to power up the USB port. A USB power meter plugged into the port will turn on at exactly this point.
code:
[    0.029331] gpio-435 (USB-power): hogged as output/high
Later in the boot there are USB errors:
code:
[   16.601276] kmodloader: loading kernel modules from /etc/modules-boot.d/*
[   16.683864] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[   16.691163] SCSI subsystem initialized
[   16.757409] fsl-ehci: Freescale EHCI Host controller driver
[   16.794479] ehci-platform: EHCI generic platform driver
[   16.861153] ehci-pci: EHCI PCI platform driver
[   16.923372] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   16.976636] ohci-platform: OHCI generic platform driver
[   17.051339] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
[   17.216192] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI Host Controller
[   17.216278] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[   17.268632] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: hcc params 0x0220f665 hci version 0x100 quirks 0x0000008002010010
[   17.359082] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: irq 104, io mem 0x06000000
[   17.471671] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: xHCI Host Controller
[   17.546543] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
[   17.610039] xhci-hcd xhci-hcd.0.auto: Host supports USB 3.0 SuperSpeed
[   17.701491] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   17.779884] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected
[   17.825132] usb usb2: We don't know the algorithms for LPM for this host, disabling LPM.
[   17.874218] hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
[   17.976578] hub 2-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)
[   18.019194] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   18.101518] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[   18.172639] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-hcd
[   18.174335] kmodloader: done loading kernel modules from /etc/modules-boot.d/*
[   18.317168] init: - preinit -
[   18.398594] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   18.697219] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   18.967150] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using xhci-hcd
[   19.117157] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   19.387209] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
[   19.507528] usb usb1-port1: attempt power cycle
[   19.977180] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 4 using xhci-hcd
[   19.977365] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[   20.151882] ipqess-edma c080000.ethernet eth0: configuring for fixed/internal link mode
[   20.152645] qca8k-ipq4019 c000000.switch lan1: configuring for phy/psgmii link mode
[   20.233400] ipqess-edma c080000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
[   20.324919] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[   20.637094] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 4, error -71
[   20.787095] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci-hcd
[   20.787228] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[   21.067227] usb 1-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[   21.174953] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
Searching the internet for error -71 showed people talking about usbcore.use_both_schemes=y and usbcore.old_scheme_first=y. I tried the 1st, then both, passed on the kernel command line (and verified as taking effect in /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/). Neither made any difference in the boot log.

Here's my package list. I just shoveled in anything USB-ish, to see if it was just a missing driver. Didn't help.
code:
ath10k-board-qca4019 ath10k-firmware-qca4019-ct base-files busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall4 fstools kmod-ath10k-ct
kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-leds-gpio kmod-nft-offload kmod-usb-dwc3 kmod-usb-dwc3-qcom kmod-usb3 libc libgcc libustream-mbedtls
logd luci mtd netifd nftables odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uboot-envtools uci
uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-mbedtls

i2c-tools libi2c kmod-i2c-core kmod-i2c-gpio kmod-i2c-algo-bit kmod-i2c-smbus kmod-regmap-i2c kmod-hwmon-core kmod-tpm-i2c-atmel
kmod-eeprom-at24

block-mount e2fsprogs kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb2 kmod-usb3 kmod-usb-audio usbutils luci-app-hd-idle kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-cifs
kmod-fs-exfat kmod-fs-f2fs kmod-fs-ksmbd parted lsblk kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-hid kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb-net
kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether kmod-usb-net-lan78xx kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-printer kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-ark3116 kmod-usb-serial-belkin
kmod-usb-serial-ch341 kmod-usb-serial-cp210x kmod-usb-serial-cypress-m8 kmod-usb-serial-ftdi kmod-usb-serial-pl2303 kmod-usb-serial-qualcomm
kmod-usb-serial-simple kmod-usb-serial-ti-usb kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb-xhci-hcd kmod-usb2-pci kmod-usbmon uhubctl
usbutils
If no fix is obvious, I'd like to at least better understand what is failing. I'm trying to get a USB flash drive working.

e: People of the Future! This has been fixed: post, PR.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's pretty domain specific this, shouldn't you be asking on the openwrt forums?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

oooh so that's the point with multipathd
SAS Multipath also needs it, I imagine.

Truga posted:

Hardware RAID is just software RAID running on a ~500MHz MIPS64/ARM CPU that implements XOR and Reed-Solomon erasure codes in hardware, and sometimes requires you to use an Option ROM to configure it.

Given that the XOR instruction is computationally cheap and the erasure codes can be offloaded to QuickAssist/GFni, or done using SSE4 or AVX2, there’s no reason to use anything but real software RAID.

Sapozhnik posted:

i think about my filesystem a lot when i find myself using windows

because that filesystem is slow as poo poo

though technically that's because of windows io rather than any particular filesystem running on it
ReFS gonna take off aaaany day now.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Tankakern posted:

it's pretty domain specific this, shouldn't you be asking on the openwrt forums?

Yes, but maybe there is a Linux USB expert around here that understands the logs better than I do.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

incorrect use of Windows I/O, usually by pretending its equivalent to UNIX I/O

because used correctly the VMS (and Windows NT, and Lisa, and classic Mac, and HP3000, and…) asynchronous-callback I/O model provides much better overall throughput than the UNIX “just block and let something else run hope you weren’t interactive LOL” I/O model

there’s a reason people who want to do high-throughput I/O on UNIX use asynchronous I/O

(remember on UNIX to always check whether every syscall encountered EINTR or EAGAIN and retry!)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

well the openwrt forums are full of clueless openwrt users so i can't imagine very many openwrt experts hang out there

(wild guess) maybe a DTB issue?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Given that the XOR instruction is computationally cheap and the erasure codes can be offloaded to QuickAssist/GFni, or done using SSE4 or AVX2, there’s no reason to use anything but real software RAID.

no, see, if you use hardware RAID and software RAID, you get multiple layers of protection! you can lose an entire array without losing your Linux ISOs!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

shackleford posted:

well the openwrt forums are full of clueless openwrt users so i can't imagine very many openwrt experts hang out there

port NetBSD to it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shackleford posted:

there's this weird disconnect between how opensource used to be, or at least how i was introduced to it - compared with how it seems to be now

back then, the strength of it was that if something went wrong, you had the option of fixing it. it might, and in my case did, usually require both blood, sweat and tears, but you could usually hack together _something_ that'd make it work
it might've also been free, but the 'free as in beer' was as much a joke about getting free beer after having to do a bunch of volunteer work

maybe this was also an issue back then, and i was just too wrapped up in trying to fix poo poo to notice, but there's an ever-expanding group of people who don't seem interested in fixing issues, and just 1) want things to work 2) expect a hobbyist to be responsible for it, because their name is on it

i dunno if there's anything that can, or even should, be done about it - but it seems like it's going to have some effect eventually, if it hasn't had one already

eschaton posted:

no, see, if you use hardware RAID and software RAID, you get multiple layers of protection! you can lose an entire array without losing your Linux ISOs!
i know at least one person who has said that without a trace of humour
orz

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 22, 2024

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Yes, but maybe there is a Linux USB expert around here that understands the logs better than I do.

error -71 is -EPROTO, returned by get_bMaxPacketSize0 when the device returns something other than 8/16/32/64 bytes per packet

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe this was also an issue back then, and i was just too wrapped up in trying to fix poo poo to notice, but there's an ever-expanding group of people who don't seem interested in fixing issues, and just 1) want things to work 2) expect a hobbyist to be responsible for it, because their name is on it

this has never not been the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i dunno if there's anything that can, or even should, be done about it - but it seems like it's going to have some effect eventually, if it hasn't had one already

also, and i post about it ironically sometimes, but there's an underlying truth: 3) people (not the askers) who are interested in having a very online argument about how actually it *does* work, or when it truly is unavoidable, the details of the structures of blame for it not working.

that was always a bit of a thing, but spending some unreasonable effort on getting something working is then quite disliked, as it can be construed as a claim that it didn't previously work.